• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 5 Chat

If you have Zen 3 then Zen 5 is the generation to upgrade to. By 2024 DDR5 prices will be a lot more reasonable, we'll have faster modules as well. It should offer a 40-50% ST perf bump as well as (hopefully) 50% more cores at the same price.
I did this for the same reasons. Zen 4 will be great and that but waiting until Zen 5 will allow the boards, memory etc. to mature (such as Zen 3 atm).

If you have Zen 3 then Zen 5 is the generation to upgrade to. By 2024 DDR5 prices will be a lot more reasonable, we'll have faster modules as well. It should offer a 40-50% ST perf bump as well as (hopefully) 50% more cores at the same price.

Yes this is my thinking too. DDR5 will also be fairly mature with good speeds. As you say a big bump in performance.

Isn't zen 4 just zen 3 on a smaller node for all intents and purposes? Zen 5 being a "proper" architecture change?
Zen 4 isn't Zen 3, it is evolution, and Zen 5 is revolution - completely new ground. Just because it doesn't bring massive IPC increase it doesn't mean it is same architecture. How much is different we will see this year.

Isn't zen 4 just zen 3 on a smaller node for all intents and purposes? Zen 5 being a "proper" architecture change?
When they announced Zen 4, it definitely seemed like Zen 3 on 5nm with some efficiency gains (e.g. 15% faster ST at 12% faster clocks, the rest due to DDR5/cache/etc). That's why a lot likened it to a Zen 3+. But now that we have more info, it seems like we're getting IPC improvements as well, but still it's a minor upgrade rather than major.

Zen4 comes across like Zen is running out of steam, then improvements are now more minor, so Zen5 is a major redesign so far as that even though it's called Zen5, it's a new architecture that borrows some stuff from Zen4 and adds it's own new stuff

Zen 4 lining up to be a failure so they looking at zen 5 to do a comeback. Jumping to am5 platform could be same mistake as bulldozer was. Will have to see what intel brings to the table

Exciting news on a lot of development from AMD. It does appear that Zen 5 is the one to watch. But unlike TRX40, I think AM5 will stick around for a while for Zen 4 and Zen 5 and all the 3D cache variants, so as long as DDR5 prices come down could sell well.

I'm skipping Zen 4 and waiting until Zen 5 to make the jump. My 5900x will easily keep me going until then...and possibly longer depending on how the world pans out with cost of living going up sharply.

DDR5 will also be more affordable by then all being well too.

This is spot on and with the recent announcement of zen 4 looking a bit underwhelming then that only reinforces it.

To be honest it's what was on my mind when I bought my 5900X a few months back. New socket, memory etc, I would rather wait it out with what I have now for the next 18/24 months, let the socket mature and see what Zen 5 brings. GPU change next year anyhow my tick tock :)

Back
Top Bottom