• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 5 Chat

Because its small enough just to stick them on the IO die
And without sounding argumentative or obtuse, why? There's no benefit other than MOAR COREZ for the hell of it, and muddying the waters of AMD's versatile modular design structure. How much of a product segmentation ballache are we going to get if a CPU-laden IO die doesn't have all 8 working cores? Are we going down Intel's bullship route of +8 and +6 SKUs? Are the +8 SKUs restricted to the 7900X and 7950X? Surely the gaming-focussed 7800X would benefit from a +8 setup too, or is that getting jipped with a +6? What about the thermals?

It's just not needed.

the cost is just much lower than glueing another 8 core CCD on
I would highly, highly doubt that. How does it cost less to port previous gen cores to a new node, integrate them into the IO die, adding L3 cache (thus making it a monolithic CPU) and then messing about with Microsoft to get the Windows scheduler updated, rather than adding some new traces to the Raphael package and slapping a 3rd pre-existing CPU chiplet on?

Don't forget the IO die is TSMC 6nm now so it's nowhere near as big as the old GloFlo slab o silicon, and will be packing some RDNA CUs now. I can think of better things to glue onto an IO die than previous-generation CPU cores.

Last edited:
AMD Zen 5 'Granite Ridge' CPUs are officially coming, and a new release date roadmap claims the gaming PC chip will arrive at some point in 2024

Surely 2024 is a bit late no? I thought it was going to be towards the end of 2023. I guess they need Zen 4 to be released first and given time for sales.

AMD Zen 5 'Granite Ridge' CPUs are officially coming, and a new release date roadmap claims the gaming PC chip will arrive at some point in 2024

Surely 2024 is a bit late no? I thought it was going to be towards the end of 2023. I guess they need Zen 4 to be released first and given time for sales.
I mean that roadmap could be read as end of 2023 tbh. It seems to show 2024 as the next year beyond but it depends if they expecting Zen4 2022, Zen43D V-cache 2023. That info is way to sparse to get info on any sort of date tbh.

Back
Top Bottom