Zidane... class is permanent

Caporegime
head butt incident was extremely stupid, players know the consequences of even tapping a player near their face with a hand is a red so a head butt to the chest was always going to be red, especially stupid if your in the world cup final.

no matter what the other person says, you dish it out back to them, or put your head down and get on with it.

all the younger generation remember him for that 1 incident thats it, i have never seen such a player with that amount of skill, scoring screamers from outside and inside the box with BOTH feet, twisting and turning past players which in turn most of the time caused them to fall over their own feet.

i think if you asked any defender or midfielder from that era, they would say that he was their worst nightmare.

fez

fez

Caporegime
He was a fantastic player but to compare him to messi is just silly. Messi is one of a kind. You look at any highlight reel from any other player in the last 50 years and you could easily knock up a better one from 1 season of messi playing for barca and argentina.

Most managers love watching their top players score, complete amazing passes and go on mazy dribbles. Messi just leaves his manager speechless and looking on in disbelief. To do that in the best team that has ever played football is quite an achievement.

Soldato
He was a fantastic player but to compare him to messi is just silly. Messi is one of a kind. You look at any highlight reel from any other player in the last 50 years and you could easily knock up a better one from 1 season of messi playing for barca and argentina.

Most managers love watching their top players score, complete amazing passes and go on mazy dribbles. Messi just leaves his manager speechless and looking on in disbelief. To do that in the best team that has ever played football is quite an achievement.

erm, I think they're comparable, it's not exactly cut and dry to say who is better.

Soldato
Zidane > * as far as I'm concerned.

Such a shame that his career will always be remembered for how it ended.

Not necessarily, when I think of Zidane i always think of the volley in champions league I'm sure everyone knows the one. The headbutt comes to mind 2nd though of course.

Soldato

I personally think Zidane was the better player...

Permabanned

That leaves me speechless, come back when Messi has won the world cup.

Caporegime
Messi and Zizou are just different players.

Both amazing, I don't feel it's right to judge Messi yet, maybe when he's hung up his boots but not now.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Hes one of the all time best but I still dont see him as anything close to messi in terms of skill, touch or finishing.

No one gets near messi when it comes to dribbling, close control, lightness of touch and yet I have never seen anyone hit a ball so hard with so little backlift. He is just the complete player.

Football has become more and more competitive as the years have passed so to be the best in this day and age and by such a margin is saying something.

Whenever I see highlight reels of maradona play, he looks very good but compared to some of todays players he doesn't look that special.

Caporegime
I think if some of the players of past generations were playing now, with all the advances on and off the field, they'd be unbelievable Jeff.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think if some of the players of past generations were playing now, with all the advances on and off the field, they'd be unbelievable Jeff.

Oh for sure, but thats just my point really, they didn't. You have to judge players by how good they were, not how good they would have been if born 20 odd years ago instead of 40 or 50.

Zidane would probably come second in my all time greatest but in a pure comparison, Messi takes it I reckon. Zidanes performance in the 06 world cup was a masterclass in controlling the midfield but I think that is an easier role than demolishing defences who have 6 or 7 men behind the ball in the last 25 willing to foul and do whatever is necessary to stop a goal.

Caporegime
I don't think Messi is the best player of all time, far from it. He's achieved very little in the game, competition wise.

He could quite easily go on to be one of the greatest players the game has ever seen. He literally has the World at his feet. He's also playing in what soon (imho) will be a outstanding Argentina side, they looked very sharp t'other game.

People said the same about Ronnny and he's no where near the player he was.

Back
Top Bottom