Zombicide!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
You won't be disappointed! I just saw your earlier post and was going to offer you my copy of the game for a weekend over xmas but now there's no need :D

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
It is awesome!

I saw Last Night on Earth in a game shop in Zagreb and I was tempted to pick it up but it would have tipped me over my baggage allowance :( Supposed to also be very, very good.

Associate
This looks pretty cool!

Never played any "proper" board games before, would love to give this a bash but doubt I could convince any of my mates to have a go!

Soldato
I've got a copy of Last Night on Earth. It's similar to Zombicide in a lot of ways. I think it's easier to sew a narrative with Last Night on Earth since it's such a trope-heavy game and the missions are heavy on theme. However, I'm also a big fan of Zombicide.

Associate
This is a FUN game. The minatures are quite nice, and the feeling when you have a board literally SWARMED in zombies is quite awesome. In my mind there are just a few minor issues that distract from my enjoyment:

1. You are penalized for levelling. The strenght of the zombie horde (well, amount) is based on the highest level character on the board... So you want to kill that zombie with that chainsaw, because it's awesome? Well, if you want to win the game you better leave it be if you're about to level up ahead of the rest of the players, because otherwise you pretty much doom your collective chances.

This is a cool mechanic in some ways, as it forces cooperation and ensures no one is way more powerful than other players... But honestly, it just feels wrong here. There are zombies, there are awesome weapons, please just let me use them and feel the rush of slashing zombie after zombie.

2. The shooting mechanic. If you shoot into a square with a friendly model in you ALWAYS (no randomizing, ALWAYS MEANS ALWAYS) hit your friend and not the zombie. Now, this would actually be fine to me on its own - it's just a really really harsh friendly fire. It just feels wrong however that you can easily shoot with any weapon, no matter how much scatter you'd imagine it to have, through a square with a friendly model without any risk and hit the zombie in the square behind them at the same time.

I just wish the game would make its mind up in this regard.

Otherwise, it's a fine, fine game.

Soldato
OP
I agree with the first, Zodar. You want to just get stuck in and mince zombies. It does add some strategy, though, and encourages sharing the more deadly weapons and letting the players to who go towards the end get some kills, rather than those with the first few goes having all the fun. The second is just a necessary mechanic - the game would be completely broken otherwise. The only weapon that can shoot through squares is the rifle btw - so that doesn't seem that out of place. If you're talking about firing from within the same zone as other survivors, just place the shooters on the edge so it looks/feels better :)

Associate
I agree with the first, Zodar. You want to just get stuck in and mince zombies. It does add some strategy, though, and encourages sharing the more deadly weapons and letting the players to who go towards the end get some kills, rather than those with the first few goes having all the fun. The second is just a necessary mechanic - the game would be completely broken otherwise. The only weapon that can shoot through squares is the rifle btw - so that doesn't seem that out of place. If you're talking about firing from within the same zone as other survivors, just place the shooters on the edge so it looks/feels better :)

Well, necessary and necessary; I'm sure with some tinkering there could have been some other balance adjustments made which just feels better.

The first one is the major one though to me, and it feels like something that is too engrained in the core experience of the game to just house rule out willy nilly too. For me personally it's a bit of a gamebreaker, which is why I haven't picked up my own copy of the game yet.

However, the other half loves the game so I may have to get it sooner or later anyway. The ideal situation would be if there is a S3 with a nice rules and balance overhaul which changes this... :p

Soldato
Just had a go at mission 1 with my dad and were getting really fed up with the xp sliders and cards going everywhere! Then I remembered the app and it was AMAZING :D

Did quite well too - lots of killing and Phil ended up in the red zone :eek:

2 objectives to go and we drew a card for a spawn point - 8 walkers. There were 4 in the box....****! :D

As a result of a previous turn we had 8 walkers in our zone (we had plans for them) but the extra activation caused the zombies to chow down on all 5 survivors in that zone. At that point we gave up despite Phil being alive as our odds were not good and we'd been at it 3 hours! :eek:

That said the time flew by and plenty of fun to be had :D

//edit: Links for apps:

iOS: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombicide/id557278582

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twistedkey.zombicide

Enjoy :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We played our first test game over the weekend and almost immediately died horribly. Probably didn't help that I was (and still am) extremely tired but it wasn't super enjoyable to be honest.

I'll give it another go once I'm feeling fresh...and probably on an easier mission. Tough game though (hopefully now we have a basic understanding of appropriate tactics it won't be quite so tough next time).

Associate
Just a quick note for anyone interested, had an email from Amazon this morning and it would appear they've dropped their price to £50, although how long that'll last is anyone's guess.

That may just have swayed me to pick up a copy..

Soldato
OP
Do it! At £50 it's a ridiculous steal for what you get.

My collection is coming along - just the companion dogs to go!

X4XJAdrl.jpg

I hit a painting crisis a week back, but have pushed through it and painted another 5. Going to finish off another row and paint some survivors and one of the abominations as a treat :)

Associate
I saw your painted figs, nice work. Shame I gave away all my GW paints a while ago. I will probably end up get some Army Painter sets as my daughter has expressed an interested in painting some stuff.

Soldato
OP
Shame I gave away all my GW paints a while ago. I will probably end up get some Army Painter sets as my daughter has expressed an interested in painting some stuff.

tbh it's becoming a love/hate affair for me now. There's too many painted to stop now, but it's going to take another year at least to finish everything!

Back
Top Bottom