Zzoomm Fibre Discussion Thread.

Caporegime
I've only ever changed ISP when I moved address, never in the same one but I am looking to move from BT to Zzoomm.

Basically, BT pricing is about 50% more than Zzoomm for the same download speed and 10% of the upload speed. My contract with BT ends in December so I can think about start ordering or migrate to another ISP, so here are my questions.

1 - Do I just cancel with BT and then place an order with Zzoomm separately? Do you plan it so there is an overlap so that in theory, i would have 2 internet connection at my address at one point?

2 - I guess there is no such a thing as PAC code for this. Just call BT to cancel the broadband and let it run its course?

Thanks

There will in the future be a one-touch process for this, but there isn't now. As Zzoomm involves a separate physical network being installed to your property it is recommended that you wait until Zzoomm goes live and you've been using it for a few days and are happy before you cancel with BT, or at least give yourself a couple of weeks of overlap and then cancel the BT termination on the first sign of any delay from Zzoomm's side.

If you try and time things so any overlap is only a few days then you run the risk of being without either service.

Last edited:
It looks like Zzoomm use their own network so they'll be entirely separate, you can have both running for as long as you like. When I went from BT to Hyperoptic I had my BT contract cancelled about a week or so after Hyperoptic was installed and running.

It may be worth contacting BT and asking them to calculate your early termination fee, I had about 7 months left on my contract and I think it only cost me £62 to cancel.

There will in the future be a one-touch process for this, but there isn't now. As Zzoomm involves a separate physical network being installed to your property it is recommended that you wait until Zzoomm goes live and you've been using it for a few days and are happy before you cancel with BT, or at least give yourself a couple of weeks of overlap and then cancel the BT termination on the first sign of any delay from Zzoomm's side.

If you try and time things so any overlap is only a few days then you run the risk of being without either service.
It looks like Zzoomm use their own network so they'll be entirely separate, you can have both running for as long as you like. When I went from BT to Hyperoptic I had my BT contract cancelled about a week or so after Hyperoptic was installed and running.

It may be worth contacting BT and asking them to calculate your early termination fee, I had about 7 months left on my contract and I think it only cost me £62 to cancel.
Thanks, it makes sense to have Zzoomm start before terminating BT.

And yes, Zzoomm seems to be on it's own network. They literally just laid the cable a few weeks ago. This morning I saw one of their trucks outside so someone on this street must have ordered it too.

Exactly this, don't try and **** about and be clever for the sake of saving £30 or so, it's not worth the risk.

@Raymond Lin I also assume you work from home via your business so it might be prudent to keep BT as a backup on their lowest tier, and fully expense it as you can prove you have another line for personal use. Then just keep BT as a backup in case there's an outage with ZZoomm.

Last edited:
Did anyone get Zzoomm installed yet?

Yes, 2 weeks now. It's been great. Advertised 150mbps, I am getting 190mbps, up and down.

The installation had it's hiccups, they couldn't find the end of the cable when feeding through for about 30mins...but eventually, it all got set up. The router that it comes with seems decent as well, Wifi 6, has 2.5Ghz port and 2 x 1gig ports.

Last edited:
Signed up to Zzoomm yesterday and got about three weeks wait now for them to install it. Not sure how that is going to work as the fibre they were laying is about two streets away from me so I have no idea how they do the final bit of connection!

Last edited:
Pretty happy with the result of two and a half hours work!

14553634705.png

Warning long post.

Well, we have had zzoomm for I think it is 3 weeks now.

Ordering process.

Very easy. Quick to sign you up. the original offer was i think it was £65 a month for a 1gb up and down. 6 months free. (2-year contract) £20 install fee and i think there was also a £10 admin fee.
We had to wait 2 weeks. but during that time the offer changed for all the plans. so we thought why not and went for the 2gb up and down for £19.99 for the first 3 months then £65 per month after for a 12-month contract with free installation and no admin fee. so we switched to the new package. we did this via both email and telephone.
Install day.

O have read so many nightmare stories about how they install it(dodgy installs the mess they make and leave, so we were dreading it)but for us, it was a pleasure. They turned up in the morning 10 am. Two lads who were really nice and helpful. they explained what they had to do and roughly how long it would take. (just over an hour).
They suggested a route from our nearest telephone pole (for want of a better name) this would go across the road and come to our property on the left-hand side and asked what we thought. i did point out it would have looked silly going to the left corner of our property and then a long run of cable to where they were going to install the outside box. So I said i didn't really want that. and suggested the right-hand side it would be less noticeable. he looked and agreed. So that is what they did.

So off he went to start work with the cable on the pole. Meanwhile, the other guy asked where we wanted the inside box(The modem I showed him. this was fine.

Btw we had no choice where the white box went. he basically said it had to go there. So anyhow he then proceeded to fit the outside white box. then drilled a hole for the cable to come into the house. fitted the modem to the wall. Whilst he drilled the hole for the cable to come i asked him if he could add another hole for a cable i needed to put through for our ring video doorbell. He was nice enough and did it for us. This all took approx 40 mins to complete.

The test phase

Once the above had been finished he then got a tablet out and we had to wait around 25 mins for the initial boot-up and firmware updates. This seemed to take a very long time. once that had finished he then did a speed test. he was getting a constant 900 mb up and down. He then showed me and i was erm we are supposed to be on the 2gb connection (he had no idea of what package we were having and then said they do not have a way of testing that package(strange i thought) He then said it might take a while to initialize and gradually the speed would go up and sync to what we had ordered. To be honest we was just happy we had internet. With that was the installation finished.

Use and customer services

A few days on we still were only receiving 900mb up and down. so we phoned up and explained what had happened they confirmed we was indeed on the 2gb package and escalated it to the tech support team.

A few days later still on the same 900mb package so again on the phone. i was advised to email the tech support team and then was assigned a tech assistant.

Now here comes the OMG moment that was so obvious and we never thought of it and nor did the tech support on the phone.

In an email from tech support, he said we won't be able to utilize the 2gb connection because we need to be connected via the 2.5gb port on the back on the supplied router. And then suggested we try that. reboot the router and modem and see how we get on with that, again waited, and yup still the same 900mb. so i sent another email to the tech guy. explaining what we had tried.

Another email in my inbox(reply from the tech guy) I opened up the email and then read " We can see you're currently only connecting at 1000mb. which means that the highest speed you will get is what you are currently getting 900mb. facepalm time. We won't be able to get the 2gb package our house utilizes cat 5e cables and 1gb switches.

Shopping time.

I needed a 2.5gb lan card and also a 2.5gb switch. and we also got some new cat 7 cables.

So i got a 2.5gb card and some new cat7 cables ordered. they arrived. (next day) i then eagerly plugged in the card and routed the new cat 7 cable, I then did a speed test. yup still getting 900mb by this time I'm getting fed up lol.i then shoot off another email. and again explain what i have done. he then replies " I've had to do some work on the back end try again and let me know how it goes" Again i did a speed test and my eyes lit up. wooohooo 2.1 gb down. then i go off and make a coffee and come back and the upload speed is only 200mb. I then have to send off another meail. and again he replies "it should be now fixed and tells me to try again" this i do and finally 2.1 gb up and down. Finally.

We then researched for a 2.5gb switch we got an 8 port one. £190 later it arrives.

Connect up my pc and 2 sons pcs, i was getting the 2.1gb speeds but my 2 sons were only getting 900mb(They both have newer computers than me so their motherboards both have 2.5gb ports on) So i unplug my nice new shiny cat 7 cable into the witch and up to each of there computers and bang they were both getting the 2.1gb speed off my cable.

So again had to order 2 more cat 7 cables. they arrived and worked perfectly.

But this is not the end of it.....

We had an email of zzoomm that there was scheduled maintenance and the internet would go down for some time. on the day of the maintenance the internet goes down but only for 40 mins it comes back up and again we were only getting 900mb. Again i have to email them they reply nothing was wrong there end and it's all fine. but around 20 mins after i had emailed them it went back up toi 2.1gb down. but again the upload speed was 200mb. again i had to email them they then reply nothing wrong there end.by this time i am not a happy chappy. I then email them stating how I'm not happy with the service and hoping i do not have to email them every time there is maintenance.

they replied and said no we should not and they apologized. 2 Weeks in and not a single problem since.

14563890044.png

Thank you for reading my very long post.

Thank you for reading my very long post.

It was a good read as a fellow Zzoomm customer. We've had ours for about 72 hours now so it's still early days but my thoughts -

Installation -
Scheduled for April 16th but as I mentioned a team of four guys turned up announced on 31st March about 3pm and asked if they could do it. No problems except for me moving a set of drawers out of the way. I told them where I wanted the white box and there was no problem.
Took them about 60 minutes and I noticed that the fibre wire they have used to connect the grey box from my house to the BT pole is much, much thinner than what OpenReach used for their FTTP install. It looks like it could snap in half in a strong wind. So we'll see what happens there.

Configuration -
We are only on 1Gbps up/down so there was no troubles as above except the Wifi extender we ordered was their first one they have installed so it took a while for the main router and this extender to both go through firmware updates and then configuration. It took them about 90 minutes to do this.

Speed -
They did absolutely nothing to show me the speed. They connected none of my devices, pretty much just left me to do it as it was now 5.30pm and they were probably dying to get home. I did a few speedtests but noticed that the speed varies considerably. The one I posted above was the best of a bad bunch - the upload is terrific no matter what Ookla Speedtest server gets picked - around 900Mbps. But the download can be abysmal - as low as 40Mbps. It seems all the traffic from here is routed to somewhere (Ilkley?) in West Yorkshire and then off it goes to the wider net.

Here's one I just made.

14564888139.png

Verdict -
In terms of real-world usage, it's pretty much the same as Sky FTTP I had previously. Xbox never gets above 300-400Mbps, PlayStation never goes above 600Mbps but Steam has taken a sharp decline from 90+ MBytes/sec to 50 MBytes/sec. Still, I'm not too bothered. It's cheap and it's only 12 months contract so providing it doesn't go up and down like the proverbial French lady's underwear, I'll be happy. Plus the upload is extremely useful for uploading all my photo junk from iPhone to iCloud.

Last edited:
It was a good read as a fellow Zzoomm customer. We've had ours for about 72 hours now so it's still early days but my thoughts -

Installation -
Scheduled for April 16th but as I mentioned a team of four guys turned up announced on 31st March about 3pm and asked if they could do it. No problems except for me moving a set of drawers out of the way. I told them where I wanted the white box and there was no problem.
Took them about 60 minutes and I noticed that the fibre wire they have used to connect the grey box from my house to the BT pole is much, much thinner than what OpenReach used for their FTTP install. It looks like it could snap in half in a strong wind. So we'll see what happens there.

Configuration -
We are only on 1Gbps up/down so there was no troubles as above except the Wifi extender we ordered was their first one they have installed so it took a while for the main router and this extender to both go through firmware updates and then configuration. It took them about 90 minutes to do this.

Speed -
They did absolutely nothing to show me the speed. They connected none of my devices, pretty much just left me to do it as it was now 5.30pm and they were probably dying to get home. I did a few speedtests but noticed that the speed varies considerably. The one I posted above was the best of a bad bunch - the upload is terrific no matter what Ookla Speedtest server gets picked - around 900Mbps. But the download can be abysmal - as low as 40Mbps. It seems all the traffic from here is routed to somewhere (Ilkley?) in West Yorkshire and then off it goes to the wider net.

Here's one I just made.

14564888139.png

Verdict -
In terms of real-world usage, it's pretty much the same as Sky FTTP I had previously. Xbox never gets above 300-400Mbps, PlayStation never goes above 600Mbps but Steam has taken a sharp decline from 90+ MBytes/sec to 50 MBytes/sec. Still, I'm not too bothered. It's cheap and it's only 12 months contract so providing it doesn't go up and down like the proverbial French lady's underwear, I'll be happy. Plus the upload is extremely useful for uploading all my photo junk from iPhone to iCloud.
interesting read. you do know when doing the speed test for zzoomm they recommend selecting the Henley-On-Thames server?.

The only other thing i forgot to mention was the length of the fiber cable from the white box to inside the house is very very short.
Also did you buy the wifi extender or did they supply it?.

And the same for me. They never set up any of my devices or even explained how to get to the admin page of the router. i had to phone up and ask,

I didn’t know about Henley server, I’ll test that. It’s just Ookla selects Ilkley as its preferred server on load. The Wi-Fi extender is a £7.99 pm rental, it is by Icotera same as the router. Works well so far.

I didn’t know about Henley server, I’ll test that. It’s just Ookla selects Ilkley as its preferred server on load. The Wi-Fi extender is a £7.99 pm rental, it is by Icotera same as the router. Works well so far.
Also what browser are you using. use chrome. i know my son used to use firefox and another one and it would not get even close to 2gb.

Back
Top Bottom