Zzoomm Fibre Discussion Thread.

Maybe do some proper tests, smokeping, automated speed tests etc. could also be that their router is trash if you’re using it.

So here we go. First outage, can’t get through to support as they are busy (I.e. on their lunch break). It’s green on the fibre ONT but red lights on the router so it suggests an issue at their network centre.

EDIT: So about 20 minutes and it came back on itself. Phew. I'd rather be dead than have no internet connection frankly.

Last edited:
Hehe, down again tonight. For the love of God, if there’s anyone out there reading this and thinking about joining Zzoomm, don’t bother. Easily the worst ISP I’ve ever been with.

Last edited:
Has anyone signed up for FTTP with an ISP called Zzoomm?

Web page here:

According to the Better Internet Dashboard website, they should be doing some FTTP related work in my street over the next week.

It looks like they will be the first company to install FTTP in my street.

So, maybe I'll be able to upgrade within a few weeks.

At the moment I've got an aluminium FTTC line that syncs at a maximum of 50 mbps (works better with an ECI Openreach modem).

I'd be able to get a 1gbps connection for the same price as I'm paying for FTTC with Cuckoo Broadband (£30 p/m).

Does anyone know if Zzoomm lets customers recontract at the same / similar price, after the initial 12 month contract has ended?

I'm hoping to use a custom router with OpenWRT software installed on it, for the FTTP connection, as it has worked well for FTTC and has some useful advanced features like SQM (similar to bandwidth control).

Last edited:
In terms of installing FTTP, do alternative FTTP networks use the existing fibre cables from FTTC?

So, will they just hook my street up to the nearest aggregation node, run additional fibre cable past each property + install splitters?

Then install CBTs (Connectorised Block Terminals)?

I'm a newb regarding civil engineering / FTTP installs, so would appreciate a bit of info about how the installs are done.

Last edited:
Apparently, the contention ratio is 20-1 on their network:

"Fibre capacity & contention ratio

Our network has been designed for the future with an enormous capacity that’s unmatched in across most of the UK. That’s great news for our customers as Zzoomm’s Full Fibre cables have a contention ratio of 20-1 – much lower than any internet service provider in your town".

Is that good for FTTP?

EDIT - I think their network is using 10gbps (downstream and upstream) for the splitters, at least according to this article:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...m-preps-uk-rollout-with-2-5m-supply-deal.html

So, in theory the minimum amount of available bandwidth would be 10,000 / 20 = 500mbps. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Math is correct, but at the same time greatly incorrect - you haven't taken into consideration, that most of the time you are using literally single mbps for normal operations like web browsing. Even when watching 4k/HD content - I will go crazy, as not sure bandwidth numbers - you will consume 300mbps..
That's why ISP's are capable of providing 1gbps links to customers even on that ratio - amount of time you will max your connection is so finite, they will not saturate their uplinks even when multiple customers will start downloading like crazy..

I do saturate my 1gbps FTTP uplink only when downloading large game packages - but with that speed (and I do use full 1gbps) any download takes minutes, which means after that I am again down to almost zero.

Math is correct, but at the same time greatly incorrect - you haven't taken into consideration, that most of the time you are using literally single mbps for normal operations like web browsing. Even when watching 4k/HD content - I will go crazy, as not sure bandwidth numbers - you will consume 300mbps..
That's why ISP's are capable of providing 1gbps links to customers even on that ratio - amount of time you will max your connection is so finite, they will not saturate their uplinks even when multiple customers will start downloading like crazy..

I do saturate my 1gbps FTTP uplink only when downloading large game packages - but with that speed (and I do use full 1gbps) any download takes minutes, which means after that I am again down to almost zero.
Indeed. Still, 500mbps as a minimum still sounds great to me, even if it represents a scenario that is unlikely to occur.

The max bandwidth is confirmed to be 10gbps here, but there's no packages that can offer that yet:

They seem to suggest that capacity upgrades will be done on the fly as needed in the future.

They estimate an uptime of 99.9% here : "All network components are configured with battery back-up and auto-failover, with sub-second reconvergence to ensure a greater than 99.99% service availability".

It looks like the reliability in practice you get depends on the area are you are in, some areas have had 100% uptime in the last 90 days, with one area being are closer to 99% uptime:
https://zzoomm.statuspage.io/

Presumably, the overall reliability will improve over time, as networks are fully rolled out and tested.

The worst case seems to be a few days of 'unplanned' outage, while upgrades / repairs are completed...

On the plus side, one of the newest networks - Sherborne, which has been live for less than 90 days, is showing 100% uptime so far.

Last edited:
Hehe, down again tonight. For the love of God, if there’s anyone out there reading this and thinking about joining Zzoomm, don’t bother. Easily the worst ISP I’ve ever been with.
Well, its a choice of ~50mbps on FTTC or soon, FTTP with Zzoomm in my case. Price is basically the same for the 1gbps package, but will need to pay for a 'voip landline' also.

Anything over 50mbps is a bonus... Or 80mbps on an exceptional FTTC line.

Last edited:
I think we've had it since March. It's had two downtimes of 20 minutes each (June 23rd and July 2nd) so really, I can't complain that much. It's been reliable enough and the 1Gbps upload is a massive bonus over Openreach providers.

How any people have signed up for a 2gbps or higher package from any FTTP provider?

Can the network infrastructure support these speeds well even during peak periods?

I'm guessing that one reason that most ISPs aren't offering more than 2gbps is that on 10gbps FTTP infrastructure, it would be much to easy for a few users to saturate the available bandwidth.

Also, 2gbps packages tend to be pretty expensive, I'd imagine that's on purpose to protect network capacity.

I wonder if they will carry on using 10gbps (XGS-PON) in the next 5+ years, but just increase the number of nodes used, to reduce contention ratio?

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good, cheap VOIP service that will allow me to replace the landline in our house?

There's a company offering a basic 'VOIP landline' for £4 p/m here:

The trustpilot reviews seem good:
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/virtuallandline.co.uk

They've around since at May 2017, at least serving non business customers.

They preconfigure the VOIP hardware to connect existing analogue phones to your internet connection also.

It takes the around 3 weeks to port a UK landline number to VOIP apparently.

Last edited:
Zzoomm has recently been installing their network in our area. The Zzoomm CBTs are now mounted on the posts outside.

I'm curious, how long did it take for you to be able to place an order?

I don't have any telegraph polls in my street, so in my case they will have do a proper survey I think, but I'll have to wait a little while longer.

Last edited:
Apparently, the contention ratio is 20-1 on their network:

"Fibre capacity & contention ratio

Our network has been designed for the future with an enormous capacity that’s unmatched in across most of the UK. That’s great news for our customers as Zzoomm’s Full Fibre cables have a contention ratio of 20-1 – much lower than any internet service provider in your town".

Is that good for FTTP?
Every single home ISP will run with a contention ratio, whether they openly publish it or not.

20-1 was considered good back in the days of ADSL if I recall correctly (e.g. businesses would pay to get this contention ratio).

Back
Top Bottom