Are the USA morally superior to the UK?

Soldato
Good story, tell us more. But how come they are so powerful, how come the generate so many brilliant minds and so much brilliant technology?

A lot of scientists and engineers who work in US are of foreign origins. Infact I was watching a video of intel i7 cpu and iirc the design engineer of intel westmere (i7 980x,990x) was an indian.

Associate
Patriotism? Jesus Herbert Christ. The self-love is sickening. "God bless 'Merica everyone! Now here's Toby Keith here to sing you the national anthem whilst you vegetate in front of a TV set with 300 channels of pituitary retards banging their ****ing skulls together on a football field. God bless 'Merica! Land of the free and home of the brave! Support our troops nuking backwater people in ****holes all over the world then discard them like trash when they're veterans."

If thats the way you want to look at it, fair enough, but look at all the self love in here "We're better than everyone, they suck" is what I get from the majority of posts here.

Man of Honour
Soundproofing on our two decade old house is excellent. I can't hear what is happening in other rooms (all interior walls are brick) and after we upgraded to double glazing (alas the Victorians didn't use that) there's virtually no noise from outside. The bricks have lasted hundred of years too. So they're actually quite green. They don't need to be replaced and won't for many more hundreds of years.

Brick isn't perfect, it doe need some help with insulation compared to modern multi-skin construction but its not as bad as you make out.

I'm hoping to move into a 15th Century stone built cottage at some point or a 17th Century stone-built inn. I love a lot of modern things, houses aren't one of them.

That does not make brick good that makes stud walls useless which they are.
Brick is not the only material to last hundreds of years.
It's certainly not green, it has a high U-value, which means hundreds of years of high heating compared to almost zero heating on other techniques.
It also adds to the allready expensive building technique.

Modern houses aren't in any way the cheapest method of construction. They're the cheapest that fits in with the uk image of brick rules.

America isn't all about funding for reserch allthough that obviously helps.
They have a different mindset. They are willing to fund high risk companies and see them fail, we aren't. This plays a large part of it as well. They also have far more publicly sponsored private tech compations and in the most part.(embryo and stem cell eexcemption) to introduce new laws quickly.
Like self driving car license in Nevada.

Compared to us, who haven't even auction of 4g bandwidth and drag are heels on any rules.
Although surprisingly it looks like we will be one of the first to license private drone abilities. But there's still time for us to **** that up.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I said another person who can't see past rubbish bricks. There is no substance to your logic.

Did you know that in the 'modern' house in America (I'm talking $500+ MINIMUM and upwards here), that they have to stick fans into the houses that are permanently on, to remove all the toxic gases? Most of it from the glue that bonds the wood together because they are not complete sheets of wood. When I say permanently on.. I mean... for years with you living there.

The joists in the houses are now basically being made out of glue/wood fragments. If that gets wet.. there goes your joist strength.

The 'bricks' and 'stone' that you see on the the outside of these very expensive houses, are normally halves that are just there for facing.

But back on topic... is the USA morally superior? No. People are people.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's just bs, nearly all wood houses are not made from pure wood, but from wood composite materials.

Of course it's hp just a facing, there's no need for anything else.

Soldato
That's just bs, nearly all wood houses are not made from pure wood, but from wood composite materials.

Of course it's hp just a facing, there's no need for anything else.

Acid Hell> That's just BS? I'm sorry... clearly you live there and have houses next to your house? Clearly you know people that live in these houses? Obviously you know about how the structure of a house is put together? Are you a builder? oh wait.. I'll just ask the structural engineer of 50 years, I have sitting a few feet from me. (That would be my father).

The facing is just that.. facing. It's is totally artificial... what you think you get is NOT what you actually get.

I don't disagree with the inefficiencies in older housing at all btw. But some aspects of 'modern' are NOT good.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's just BS? I'm sorry... clearly you live there and have houses next to your house? Clearly you know people that live in these houses?

Huge parts of Europe construct houses in this way, no refrains as required.

Fans are needed for two reasons on some builds, test air tightness and remove toxic fumes from some finishes.

They are not needed for normal house building. Again look at Germany and Sweden that use huge amount of composite wood buildings.

So yes it's bs.

It is what you get, and its exactly what you expect to get. The looks of a stone building with huge benefits of cheaper better construction.
Facing is there to weatherproof and cosmetic looks.

The fact you think you aren't getting what you think you're getting shows how twisted your logic is.

Soldato
Huge parts of Europe construct houses in this way, no refrains as required.

Fans are needed for two reasons on some builds, test air tightness and remove toxic fumes from some finishes.

They are not needed for normal house building. Again look at Germany and Sweden that use huge amount of composite wood buildings.

So yes it's bs.

It is what you get, and its exactly what you expect to get. The looks of a stone building with huge benefits of cheaper better construction.
Facing is there to weatherproof and cosmetic looks.

Fans: They are there PURELY for removing fumes, not for air tightness. I am referring to fan's that are on the entire time you are living there.. built into the house. If that is the case... then there is something seriously wrong with the way that house is constructed. Some variants of Asbestos were great are what they did... until people realised how frigging dangerous they are. Your argument seems to accept that it's ok to have fumes, I say "no thanks".

Cost: The point I was making is that they are NOT cheap houses, but they are constructed extremely quickly, and relatively cheaply.

The fact you think you aren't getting what you think you're getting shows how twisted your logic is.

Your logic is flawed if you think that someone should accept having the wool pulled over their eyes.

I have no issue with a modern house, but I take exception to poor construction values. (Although 'Tyvek' is pretty awesome stuff :D)

Man of Honour
LoL
How are they having the wool pulled over their eyes. They aren't at all.
Yes they are "cheap" houses to construct. Final price depends on many things like locatin, size, finishing standards, mark ups etc.

Show me these massive fans used is SIPs buildings, oh wait they aren't.
And yes we have SIPs construction in uk.

Wise Guy
Soldato
Although surprisingly it looks like we will be one of the first to license private drone abilities. But there's still time for us to **** that up.

You can operate private drones in the USA if you want but you need an amateur radio license for the base station equipment.

Man of Honour
LoL
How are they having the wool pulled over their eyes. They aren't at all.
Yes they are "cheap" houses to construct. Final price depends on many things like locatin, size, finishing standards, mark ups etc.

Show me these massive fans used is SIPs buildings, oh wait they aren't.
And yes we have SIPs construction in uk.

I don't care about your bricks / sticks but agree the build cost of a house is very secondary to its value. With new builds typically as a rule of thumb only a third is in the construction including related labour. A third the land and a third developer profit. All of those flex of course.

Man of Honour
You can operate private drones in the USA if you want but you need an amateur radio license for the base station equipment.

That doesn't include large or in airspace territory though does it?
That's more model aircraft, below airspace?

Edit - further relaxations coming in 2015 according to google.
So probably still beat us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom