Dark Souls 3

Soldato
For the life of me I cannot do the Abyss Watchers Grrrrr.

it's the first part that frustrates me, I keep my distance so that they can all fight but when the other buggar arrives takes most of my health.

Phase 2 I try not get stuck on his combo, but when he goes in for the strike and roll towards 2 o clock, and still get hit by either him or his flames.

My strength is up to 21, Dexterity is 19, Health is 17, with Stamina and FP at 16. Currently Level 42 am I high enough for enough critical damage?

your leveled fine , you just need to git gud.:p

PS: I just focussed on the main dude for stage 1 until the 3rd guy wakes up, and he should then attack one of the 2 remaining. You need to ensure you kill the other one before he dies.
For stage 2 rolling away is not a good idea as his fire strikes have delay and arch, always roll towards him - its counter-intuitive but that's why this fight is a good lesson in DS.

Soldato
You know the only thing I'm gutted about is missing out on the Prestige Edition for this game :( Got a ring last night which makes you invisible to people at a certain range so going to start a pyro and become an invader and use the ring :D

Soldato
OP
I am using the Lothric Knight Sword infused with fire gem.

Or I can use the Irithyll Staight Sword but this has no critical damage hit.

Crit is only a modifier for increased backstab/riposte damage incase you didn't know. Frostbite is great for PVE (awful in PVP) because nothing resists it, even the rider knights can get frostbitten pretty easily.

Soldato
Bit off tpoic but recieved this artwork of the world from dark souls 1 today!
20160427_174050.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
For the life of me I cannot do the Abyss Watchers Grrrrr.

it's the first part that frustrates me, I keep my distance so that they can all fight but when the other buggar arrives takes most of my health.

Phase 2 I try not get stuck on his combo, but when he goes in for the strike and roll towards 2 o clock, and still get hit by either him or his flames.

My strength is up to 21, Dexterity is 19, Health is 17, with Stamina and FP at 16. Currently Level 42 am I high enough for enough critical damage?
I cant do it, either. Been stuck here for a couple days now and it's really killing my urge to continue. Have no idea how to avoid the strikes in the 2nd phase. It's just a mess of attacks and flames everywhere.

The first part is mostly fine for me. The camera is the biggest enemy and I have to be a bit lucky that they stay more or less together, cuz if they get separated, it's straight up impossible to track both of them. Otherwise, I just kind of back away and avoid all the attacks when there's two of them and wait for the 3rd party to come in and distract them. Easy to get in some hits here.

I cant do it, either. Been stuck here for a couple days now and it's really killing my urge to continue. Have no idea how to avoid the strikes in the 2nd phase. It's just a mess of attacks and flames everywhere.

The first part is mostly fine for me. The camera is the biggest enemy and I have to be a bit lucky that they stay more or less together, cuz if they get separated, it's straight up impossible to track both of them. Otherwise, I just kind of back away and avoid all the attacks when there's two of them and wait for the 3rd party to come in and distract them. Easy to get in some hits here.

Stage 2 can be a pain but he has a series of 3/4 swings and then a little opening to get some hits. Easier if you have a weapon that can stagger him, and a complete joke if done with a summon!

Soldato
I didn't have a problem with the Abyss Watchers, in fact I thought it was the best boss in the game actually, but I did think whilst doing it that the flaming sword was overdone, with the effects getting in the way so you can't see...but then at pretty much every point of a souls game you are fighting some form of poor controls or the camera tbh.

Btw there is an NPC summon for the fight that is fairly OK. He won't trivialise the fight, but can keep him occupied for spells. I think it is the black hand guy?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm so bad at this game can't even do crystal sage :mad:

One tip for Crystal Sage-

in his second phase you can tell which one is the real one by the colour of his magic, it will be purple as opposed to the blue of the fakes

Also, again if you are struggling there is an NPC summon in the room before the fight, but tbh I didn't find him much help.

Soldato
Stage 2 can be a pain but he has a series of 3/4 swings and then a little opening to get some hits. Easier if you have a weapon that can stagger him, and a complete joke if done with a summon!
A summon is absolute last resort. Not ready to do that yet. And I fear it wont help me much since they'll probably die in the first phase which isn't the main issue for me in the first place.

My biggest problem is probably my build. I dont tend to put many points into Vitality in these games, so my health pool is fairly low. Meaning I cannot make the sort of mistakes that many people make and walk away from it merely needing to heal. For me, a series of hits is death. And when certain enemies have hard-to-avoid flurries of attacks, it gets really difficult to survive a full length boss type fight as my margin for error is very low.

Associate
Just made some good progress tonight. Taken down Oceiros, Champion Gundyr, Dragonslayer Armor, and Ancient Wyvern and can't be far from the end now.

A couple of these were tougher than I expected. My sorcerer is pretty overpowered in attack but my defence against some of the heavy blows is terrible so I could barely afford to take a hit, especially to the Dragonslayer Armor who had one particular attack that could take me down in one hit.

Have to say, this is the best and most absorbing game I've played since The Witcher 3 and in my top 5 of this current gen easily. The camera on certain fights has got me killed a couple of times but that minor gripe aside the game is pretty much perfect.

Soldato
Yea, just tried another dozen times or so. Just cant get close. I have no idea how to avoid the attacks in the 2nd phase. If I dodge a swing, I'll often get caught in the flame aftermath crap. He seems to recover ultra quickly from just about any attack, so I haven't identified any obvious window of opportunity to attack him myself.

Every video I watch of people beating him tend to just absorb a bunch of hits and I just dont have that luxury.

I could probably improve more if I didn't have to go through the entire 1st phase(which I'm not dying on more than before...) just to spend 30 seconds in the 2nd phase before dying and having to run back, get through the first phase again and blah blah blah.

This is just tedious at this point.

Soldato
Try rolling into all of the attacks or just keep your distance to learn them first. His fire explosion attacks are very well telegraphed, and you can definitely do phase 2 without taking a single hit if you're familiar with the combos.

Permabanned
One tip for Crystal Sage-

in his second phase you can tell which one is the real one by the colour of his magic, it will be purple as opposed to the blue of the fakes

Also, again if you are struggling there is an NPC summon in the room before the fight, but tbh I didn't find him much help.

For me there was a summon at the archway to that boss. I fought him 9 times and there was a tiny bit of health left everytime so I used him and we beat it in no time at all

Soldato
Are you rolling or blocking? I'm pretty sure I got the ring that increases invincibility frames by then, do you have it?
Rolling. I dont use shields.

Never found that ring.

[ui]ICEMAN;29436678 said:
Try rolling into all of the attacks or just keep your distance to learn them first. His fire explosion attacks are very well telegraphed, and you can definitely do phase 2 without taking a single hit if you're familiar with the combos.
Rolling into all the attacks doesn't work at all. If he's doing a combo pattern I HAVE to get away. Staying close is death as I cant avoid both the continual slashes and the flametrails that come afterwards. Something will hit me and if something hits me and he's close, there's a good chance I get hit once or twice more and die as I desperately try to roll out of range. He also does charging attacks that leave flame trails behind him, meaning if I roll towards him, I roll right into the flames.

As far as I can tell, he doesn't do much in that phase that is 'very well telegraphed'. There is very little windup for most of his attacks, he just throws them up relentlessly and he can do it very quickly after other attacks, too.

Back
Top Bottom