Dark Souls 3

Soldato
It's official, this is the best game I've played this generation. Better than Bloodborne in every department except one which I'll put in spoiler. I bought Firewatch on offer and tried to play it(my type of game), and just couldn't stop thinking about the time I'm wasting on it when I could be playing Dark Souls 3... a game hasn't had this effect on me for a very long time.

The bosses are perhaps the weakest in the series

Soldato
Got about 70 hours played total so far, one char is 120 and my new PvP char is about 80 now I think. I think I'll make another char just to pick up and get the stuff I've missed. Loving the game tbh :D

@davewhite04 I agree.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm loving it too, 40 hours in. I don't understand why there aren't more games like Dark Souls. Instead, every action rpg has the stupid minimap with question marks and other 'landmarks' along with boring, shallow combat(even good games like Witcher).

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha I didn't notice the comment above mine, my question was a genuine one.

I'm not sure about this. I think it was easier to time a parry with the parrying dagger in DS2. The most important variable is the type of attack thrown at you. Each different one has different parry sweet spots.

Soldato
I'm loving it too, 40 hours in. I don't understand why there aren't more games like Dark Souls. Instead, every action rpg has the stupid minimap with question marks and other 'landmarks' along with boring, shallow combat(even good games like Witcher).

I like to sit back and relax with some story telling etc. in games like Skyrim(even though the physical combat sucks), Dragons Dogma(great with mods on PC), Fallout series, and Witcher 3.

But this blows them out of the window if you can hack the difficulty :)

Soldato
I too don't like minimaps but unfortunately the dialogue in most games leaves you with little choice but to use one tbh. Most objecives are along the lines of 'speak to xxxx in this town' for example, you need some direction otherwise you are just stumbling around randomly which is pretty ridiculous.(pwrsonally I think the compass in fallout/ES is a pretty decent solution most times)

I remember playing, I think it was Divinity original sin, a character gives you a quest to go to their house and that is it... I'm sitting there thinking 'well, are you going to tell me where it is then?' I assume they know where there own house is, or do they want me to guess!

This is an area where this series excels. Not just well thought out areas, but the dialogue often gives you direction. Take DS for example, you are told to ring 2 bells and roughly where to ring them. When you've done that it's Anor Londo through Sens Fortress. It isn't marked on your map at all times, it is done through easy to follow dialogue and that is by far the best way to do it. In games with more specific objectives though you do need some kind of map otherwise it is just ridiculous,as the info is rarely given through unfortunately

Last edited:
Soldato
This is an area where this series excels. Not just well thought out areas, but the dialogue often gives you direction. Take DS for example, you are told to ring 2 bells and roughly where to ring them. When you've done that it's Anor Londo through Sens Fortress. It isn't marked on your map at all times, it is done through easy to follow dialogue and that is by far the best way to do it. In games with more specific objectives though you do need some kind of map otherwise it is just ridiculous,as the info is rarely given through unfortunately

Dark Souls gives you cut-scenes for direction too, which works so well. It is an absolute classic, if any of you guys haven't played it yet, after this I recommend playing it with the DSFix, its aged beautifully because of the artwork style and general ambience.

Soldato
Caestus and Demon Fist have the fastest parry, Buckler/Target shield/Parry Dagger are joint 2nd, then medium shields like the kiteshield are last.

For parrying gamers I'd certainly recommend using the Farron Greatsword(it comes with a curved dagger as part of the set). Great timing, I'm no expert but I was parrying for fun.You get it at Firelink Shrine for exchange of one of the boss souls+ you may need to pay 5000 souls too.

Great weapon, dex, will be using it on NG+.

Soldato
I'm using the great machete atm. Hits hard with stagger and more importantly it seems to track very well. Only at cathedral of the deep bit. Game feels massive :D

Soldato
OP
For parrying gamers I'd certainly recommend using the Farron Greatsword(it comes with a curved dagger as part of the set). Great timing, I'm no expert but I was parrying for fun.You get it at Firelink Shrine for exchange of one of the boss souls+ you may need to pay 5000 souls too.

Great weapon, dex, will be using it on NG+.

Really don't like the Farron GS in PVP, every single move is parryable even the sliding stuff. It's great in PVE though as it has high base damage and dex scaling, and that slidey attack can go under so many boss moves.

Soldato
What are you lot doing with boss souls? Ive eaten the first two bosses but should I be trading them for better stuff?
After beating a certain early boss and speaking to a certain NPC in Firelink Shrine, you'll get the option to turn those boss souls into unique weapons.

I can be more specific but dont want to ruin anything if you like to discover these things on your own.

Also, the alternative is to just use them like you would the 'normal' soul items you find/pick up. I dont recommend this, though.

Soldato
For the life of me I cannot do the Abyss Watchers Grrrrr.

it's the first part that frustrates me, I keep my distance so that they can all fight but when the other buggar arrives takes most of my health.

Phase 2 I try not get stuck on his combo, but when he goes in for the strike and roll towards 2 o clock, and still get hit by either him or his flames.

My strength is up to 21, Dexterity is 19, Health is 17, with Stamina and FP at 16. Currently Level 42 am I high enough for enough critical damage?

Soldato
For the life of me I cannot do the Abyss Watchers Grrrrr.

it's the first part that frustrates me, I keep my distance so that they can all fight but when the other buggar arrives takes most of my health.

Phase 2 I try not get stuck on his combo, but when he goes in for the strike and roll towards 2 o clock, and still get hit by either him or his flames.

My strength is up to 21, Dexterity is 19, Health is 17, with Stamina and FP at 16. Currently Level 42 am I high enough for enough critical damage?

What weapon are you using? If it hasn't been infused with a gem try some charcoal resin for stage 2.

Back
Top Bottom