Dark Souls 3

Soldato
It is funny which bosses different people have trouble with. I actually found Oceiros the hardest boss for me, but I watched a video ranking the hardest bosses and it turns out everyone else thought it was easy!

I also remember playing DS for the first time(was my first of the series) and breezing past the gargoyles without any issue then discovering it is supposedly difficult, but really struggling with Moonlight Butterfly, which is basically a joke to most people!

Rolling. I dont use shields.

Never found that ring.

Rolling into all the attacks doesn't work at all. If he's doing a combo pattern I HAVE to get away. Staying close is death as I cant avoid both the continual slashes and the flametrails that come afterwards. Something will hit me and if something hits me and he's close, there's a good chance I get hit once or twice more and die as I desperately try to roll out of range. He also does charging attacks that leave flame trails behind him, meaning if I roll towards him, I roll right into the flames.

As far as I can tell, he doesn't do much in that phase that is 'very well telegraphed'. There is very little windup for most of his attacks, he just throws them up relentlessly and he can do it very quickly after other attacks, too.

Sounds like this guy is to you like Ornstein & Smough was to me, total nightmare till that moment you beat it and wonder what all the fuss was about :D
What weapon do you have and whats your equip load?

Soldato
Rolling into all the attacks doesn't work at all. If he's doing a combo pattern I HAVE to get away. Staying close is death as I cant avoid both the continual slashes and the flametrails that come afterwards. Something will hit me and if something hits me and he's close, there's a good chance I get hit once or twice more and die as I desperately try to roll out of range. He also does charging attacks that leave flame trails behind him, meaning if I roll towards him, I roll right into the flames.

As far as I can tell, he doesn't do much in that phase that is 'very well telegraphed'. There is very little windup for most of his attacks, he just throws them up relentlessly and he can do it very quickly after other attacks, too.

He has two main types of attacks, one 'line' attack which hits hard but is easier to dodge and a wide semi circle. When he combos, his second attack will almost always be a semi circle which means that even if you rolled properly towards his side during ths first attack, his second attack will still hit you. The trick is to keep moving towards the 'gap' of the semi circle which is located behind his back.

Let's assume he does a forward charge. You roll towards him, on his right side. As soon as you are there he starts his semi circle attack which targets the area where your roll ended. At this point just stay close to him and keep walking to his right without rolling. As soon as his semi circle attack misses he opens up for an attack or, if you managed to walk behind him, a crit. Rinse and repeat. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Another dozen or so tries.

Not a smidge closer. His attacks in his 2nd form are impossible to reliably avoid.

And I'm dying to the 1st phase 50% of the time. I'm really just sick of this at this point. Having to get through the first phase just to even *attempt* the 2nd phase(where I usually die within 30 seconds) is really making me want to drop this game completely.

Even tried summoning a phantom which was predictably useless and died in the 1st phase.

Soldato
He has two main types of attacks, one 'line' attack which hits hard but is easier to dodge and a wide semi circle. When he combos, his second attack will almost always be a semi circle which means that even if you rolled properly towards his side during ths first attack, his second attack will still hit you. The trick is to keep moving towards the 'gap' of the semi circle which is located behind his back.

Let's assume he does a forward charge. You roll towards him, on his right side. As soon as you are there he starts his semi circle attack which targets the area where your roll ended. At this point just stay close to him and keep walking to his right without rolling. As soon as his semi circle attack misses he opens up for an attack or, if you managed to walk behind him, a crit. Rinse and repeat. :)
Yea, he seems to have this cheap tactic of 'adjusting' the aim of his attacks mid-swing when I roll. I'm used to rolling to dodge attacks so he keeps getting me constantly.

So you're saying just dont roll at all when I'm close to him after he charges? That's going to be a difficult habit to break, but I'll give it a go.

Also, he has a couple 'line' attacks. One that shoots flames forwards and one that leaves a trail behind. No idea which is ever which, so I usually dodge to the side. Rolling forward, I tend to get unlucky and roll right into some flames.

Soldato
OP
One tip for Crystal Sage-

in his second phase you can tell which one is the real one by the colour of his magic, it will be purple as opposed to the blue of the fakes

Also, again if you are struggling there is an NPC summon in the room before the fight, but tbh I didn't find him much help.

Another good tip
is buy a dagger, and equip it for the fight as like your 2nd right hand weapon, hug the walls on his final 2 appearances and bum rush the blue sages first and one shot them with the dagger (its running attack is very fast). Once all the blue sages are gone the purple one is no threat. You really run the risk of getting blown up by all the clones magic if you rush straight for the purple.

Soldato
Let's assume he does a forward charge. You roll towards him, on his right side. As soon as you are there he starts his semi circle attack which targets the area where your roll ended. At this point just stay close to him and keep walking to his right without rolling. As soon as his semi circle attack misses
So, big problem here. That semi circle(actually, it's about a full 360 swing) attack *doesn't* miss. It totally whacks me and takes over half my health, stuns me and leaves me open to a 2nd hit I cant avoid even if I wanted to, killing me.

This **** is about impossible.

EDIT: Just summoned another phantom. This guy was decent. Made the boss cakewalk. Just desperately wanted to progress at this point....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So, big problem here. That semi circle(actually, it's about a full 360 swing) attack *doesn't* miss. It totally whacks me and takes over half my health, stuns me and leaves me open to a 2nd hit I cant avoid even if I wanted to, killing me.

This **** is about impossible.

EDIT: Just summoned another phantom. This guy was decent. Made the boss cakewalk. Just desperately wanted to progress at this point....

You're going to love Pontiff.

Better learn how to parry. :D

Soldato
You were rolling too early on his attacks then. Something that carried over from DS2 was the tracking ability of bosses, though it's not quite as unfair. If you roll early, it's as if you didn't bother at all. You have to wait until the last possible moment to roll, that way the attacks cannot track.

I promise you, all of his attacks, just like every other in the game are avoidable. Everyone finds certain bosses harder than others, and that's always an interesting thing to see.

Permabanned
I'm by no means a good player and I consider my play style to be cheesing (I grind and grind until I just kill fools for fun) but I've been invaded maybe 15 times all by higher level players and I've killed them all :D

I've just hit level 60 and I'm just entering cathedral of the deep. I think I'm around the 30 hours mark but I explore and explore and wont leave a level until I'm sure there's nothing left. I've had to leave the swamp though as I keep getting cursed :(

Soldato
OP
D2836BA8E9AF57BC86B77D5AC88DB4FAF2D99E71

Just gotta get 1 more pyromancery from the mound-makers, turn Ocerios' soul into a spell and find 3 more rings for all achievements, woo :D

The amount of time I spent over the NG+s making sure I got every boss weapon (most are crap and useless) was wasted though, totally thought there was an achievement for owning every weapon like the previous games :(

Last edited:
Soldato
So I done Crystal Sage, the mistake I was making was rushing to quickly to kill the main boss in phase 2.

I found that "taking my time" kill the 2 decoys then killing the main makes it a lot easier.

now I'm heading towards decon of the deep, what I am seeing is some of the small bosses particularly the ones with 2 swords having a lot more sword movements, I believe this is where you start to learn the mechanics of dodging and parrying. I am really concentrating on my Dex and strength and weight (more my weight is better weapons and armour). should I also upgrade my faith & luck for better drops?

Soldato
D2836BA8E9AF57BC86B77D5AC88DB4FAF2D99E71

Just gotta get 1 more pyromancery from the mound-makers, turn Ocerios' soul into a spell and find 3 more rings for all achievements, woo :D

The amount of time I spent over the NG+s making sure I got every boss weapon (most are crap and useless) was wasted though, totally thought there was an achievement for owning every weapon like the previous games :(

Nice will be going for this myself mate, done bloodborne and ds2 so why not :) im only 15hrs in atm mind, at the boreal valley atm, seems a much more interesting area

Soldato
You're going to love Pontiff.

Better learn how to parry. :D
Apart from dabbling a bit with gun parries in Bloodborne, parrying is definitely a skill I've neglected through all the Souls games. I probably should rectify that at some point.

And we'll see about Pontiff. I dont know who or what he is, but I'm *usually* pretty good about figuring out how to kill bosses with my build and playstyle. This one just had me stumped.

[ui]ICEMAN;29436943 said:
You were rolling too early on his attacks then. Something that carried over from DS2 was the tracking ability of bosses, though it's not quite as unfair. If you roll early, it's as if you didn't bother at all. You have to wait until the last possible moment to roll, that way the attacks cannot track.

I promise you, all of his attacks, just like every other in the game are avoidable. Everyone finds certain bosses harder than others, and that's always an interesting thing to see.
Oh yea, I'm sure there's a way to reliably avoid the attacks. I was just getting frustrated at not being able to figure it out and the fact that I had to roll through an entire first fight(which isn't total cakewalk or anything...) before I even got an opportunity to practice more.

I'm by no means a good player and I consider my play style to be cheesing (I grind and grind until I just kill fools for fun) but I've been invaded maybe 15 times all by higher level players and I've killed them all :D

I've just hit level 60 and I'm just entering cathedral of the deep. I think I'm around the 30 hours mark but I explore and explore and wont leave a level until I'm sure there's nothing left. I've had to leave the swamp though as I keep getting cursed :(
Well if you're at least varying up which enemies you grind, you're gonna be learning to get better at the same time. And play stats aren't really the biggest difference makers most of the time. It's your weapon levels and your playstyle/skills.

I'd say 'cheesing' in Souls games is either

a) relying a ton on long range magic
b) bow sniping from safe positions regularly
c) reliance on co-op

These things kind of break the balance of the game, though they are still legitimate tactics for those who enjoy playing the games like this.

Soldato
Got my 2nd char to 99 last night and leaving him there for PvP, me and my friend did the whole game co op and it was awesome, it was so much fun especially when people invaded although it did make a lot of the game so so so easy but I don't care I completed it once solo so I'm all about the lulz now. I have 2x+10 refined Dark Swords with 40str/dex and he owns.

I'm seriously addicted to this game, I went on holiday with my girlfriend for 5 days last week and I've managed like 90 hours since launch for the game and I've been working (other than the holiday)

My next char is a pyro who will do the 10 pale tounge thing to get the ring that makes you invisible at distance and I'm just going to invade and sneak up on people and blow them up.

Bit off tpoic but recieved this artwork of the world from dark souls 1 today!
20160427_174050.jpg

Where did you get that mate that's awesome?

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my 2nd char to 99 last night and leaving him there for PvP, me and my friend did the whole game co op and it was awesome, it was so much fun especially when people invaded although it did make a lot of the game so so so easy but I don't care I completed it once solo so I'm all about the lulz now. I have 2x+10 refined Dark Swords with 40str/dex and he owns.

I'm seriously addicted to this game, I went on holiday with my girlfriend for 5 days last week and I've managed like 90 hours since launch for the game and I've been working (other than the holiday)

My next char is a pyro who will do the 10 pale tounge thing to get the ring that makes you invisible at distance and I'm just going to invade and sneak up on people and blow them up.

Where did you get that mate that's awesome?

Sorry for terrible image! Will post a link! He has also done undead asylum and painted world as seperate images! Want

http://www.tettix.net/lordran/lordran.html

I bought from the fangamer link, medium size! Would love the massive one but couldnt justify the cost atm!

Back
Top Bottom