2024 OLED bonanza take your pick from dozens of new monitors

Associate
To the owners of the AW3225QF: do you have scratches on your screen when you shine a light on it, as per some of the recent reviews? It's the only thing putting me off getting the Alienware so I'm hoping it's not a widespread issue.

Soldato
To the owners of the AW3225QF: do you have scratches on your screen when you shine a light on it, as per some of the recent reviews? It's the only thing putting me off getting the Alienware so I'm hoping it's not a widespread issue.

My AW2725DF had marks on the screen. Not scratches though. Rather than having a film to protect the screen during delivery it has what is essentially like bubble wrap taped to the front. The marks seem to be from that. They wipe off easily enough, you even get a cloth in the box

Associate
My AW2725DF had marks on the screen. Not scratches though. Rather than having a film to protect the screen during delivery it has what is essentially like bubble wrap taped to the front. The marks seem to be from that. They wipe off easily enough, you even get a cloth in the box
Yeah, same for me. Took 1-2 mins of wiping them with a cloth and then they were all gone.

Associate
About burn-in.
With the newer panels being heavily marketed for being brighter, shouldn't that mean that if run at sane brightness levels* that the chances of burn-in are much reduced?

Crazy retina burning brightness doesn't interest me, but any improvements to longevity and a lower risk of burn-in does.

* I usually run my monitor at about 30% between brightness and contrast.

Associate
About burn-in.
With the newer panels being heavily marketed for being brighter, shouldn't that mean that if run at sane brightness levels* that the chances of burn-in are much reduced?

Crazy retina burning brightness doesn't interest me, but any improvements to longevity and a lower risk of burn-in does.

No one can say for sure, I doubt even manufacturers have an answer to that.

Associate
No one can say for sure, I doubt even manufacturers have an answer to that.
Okay fair enough. Internally they probably do have results so they're not so glued to rtings latest test results!

But the trend of brighter panels plus some vague mention of burn-in, suggests that OLED panels are getting better. Or at least LG Displays ones as the Samsung QLED panels did very badly over on rtings' longevity tests.

General trend: NAND's longevity is going down, OLED panels longevity is going up. The two variables are totally independent!

Soldato
About burn-in.

The new QD-OLED monitors are the same brightness as the one's released 2 years ago and they're being advertised as being at least 2x more durable so I imagine they're less likely to burn-in

Associate
That's good to hear, cheers.

Associate
Also - for anyone who had any concerns re: text fringing on the 27" 1440p panel, I haven't noticed any issues at all. If you really look for it then I think you could notice it but you've got to get right up to the screen and use it from a distance that isn't natural at all.

I genuinely think I could use this as a work from home monitor if I didn't have two desks / two setups and needed a single monitor / single setup for both gaming and work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also - for anyone who had any concerns re: text fringing on the 27" 1440p panel, I haven't noticed any issues at all. If you really look for it then I think you could notice it but you've got to get right up to the screen and use it from a distance that isn't natural at all.

I genuinely think I could use this as a work from home monitor if I didn't have two desks / two setups and needed a single monitor / single setup for both gaming and work.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing, the fringing is there but I have to have my face up against the screen.

You've got the same gpu as me. In Adrenaline under the display settings where you toggle VRR on or off. Does it say Freesync Premium Pro or Vesa Adaptasync for you? With my old monitor is said Freesync Premium but now it says Adaptasync. Would have thought it would say Freesync Premium Pro as the screen supposedly supports that. I've noticed a far amount of VRR flicker, mainly in Steam menus but also in Windows at times. Just wondering if this could be something to do with it

Associate
Yeah I was going to say the same thing, the fringing is there but I have to have my face up against the screen.

You've got the same gpu as me. In Adrenaline under the display settings where you toggle VRR on or off. Does it say Freesync Premium Pro or Vesa Adaptasync for you? With my old monitor is said Freesync Premium but now it says Adaptasync. Would have thought it would say Freesync Premium Pro as the screen supposedly supports that. I've noticed a far amount of VRR flicker, mainly in Steam menus but also in Windows at times. Just wondering if this could be something to do with it
I'm one of those strange people who doesn't ever use adaptive sync (never really used Gsync when I had an Nvidia card and haven't bothered with Freesync now I've got the 7900XT...).

I'll check my settings and later and enable/disable to see what it says and report back!

Associate
I'm one of those strange people who doesn't ever use adaptive sync (never really used Gsync when I had an Nvidia card and haven't bothered with Freesync now I've got the 7900XT...).

I'll check my settings and later and enable/disable to see what it says and report back!
Any particular reason you are not using it? I dont see any downsides to using it(apart from flickering)

Last edited:
Associate
Any particular reason you are not using it? I dont see any downsides to using it(apart from flickering)
So I might have just believed something I was told a decade ago but my understanding was that adaptive sync/G Sync/ free sync etc. only works when your fps is below your refresh rate right? And more frames = less input lag.

When I came back to gaming on PC in 2013ish I mainly played CSGO/League of Legends/BF3 & BF4 so preferred to have as many frames as possible and could tolerate tearing as a result of that.

Now - 10 years later and I'm 33 - and I am nowhere near as twitchy/good at games as I used to be it probably wouldn't make a difference to the outcome if I had it on or off...! Just one of those habit things.

Associate
Showing as this for me!

J7DvY2A.png

Soldato

So I might have just believed something I was told a decade ago but my understanding was that adaptive sync/G Sync/ free sync etc. only works when your fps is below your refresh rate right? And more frames = less input lag.

When I came back to gaming on PC in 2013ish I mainly played CSGO/League of Legends/BF3 & BF4 so preferred to have as many frames as possible and could tolerate tearing as a result of that.

Now - 10 years later and I'm 33 - and I am nowhere near as twitchy/good at games as I used to be it probably wouldn't make a difference to the outcome if I had it on or off...! Just one of those habit things.

We today I've been using the monitor with VRR disabled and as to be expected the flickering is completely gone and I don't get any tearing or anything negative in games. Doesn't feel any different to having VRR on tbh. I've tested Street fighter 6, Cyberpunk 2077 and Doom Eternal. I guess aslong as the fps doesn't go over 360 then tearing won't be a problem.

Soldato

Quick update to the flickering issue I was experiencing.

I had a setting called 10-Bit Pixel Format enabled. In Adrenaline its enables 10-bit OpenGL buffer for compatible displays. My HDR stopped working so when I was lookin for a solution I noticed that setting wasn't compatible with HDR. I think I must have enabled it thinking it was 10-bit colour depth. So I disabled it and Windows recognised the screen as HDR compatible again and I've not noticed any VRR flicker at all since so I'm very happy now :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom