• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

OcUK Staff
OP
knightengale said:
Would it be worth waiting for .. is there much difference in performance of the 7800 and 7900 ?

7900 is quicker, but not by a huge amount, plus the price would no doubt be over £300 Exc. VAT......

Soldato
Do you think that ATI will ever release any X1800/X1900 cards on AGP?

They've said that their partners can do it if they wish and now nVidia is releasing better cards on AGP do you think that'll push ATI into it?

Any competition's good!

Cheers

Associate
Seems likely if ATI see that there is still money to be made from the AGP format then they would be stupid to not release more cards.

cant see them ignoring it and letting Nividia dominate the AGP market uncontested

Associate
Okay install went smooth, good job i upgraded my PSU to one with a PCIe power cable, coming from an ATI catalyst driver i cant believe how quick the forceware drivers installed, very nice :) the card in whisper quiet, just like it states on the box - cant hear a peep from it :) just tried FEAR very quickly and noticed a much smoother gaming experience, not being fully upto speed with nvidia and the settings etc. can anyone tell me how to overclock this little beauty? gotta take my little nephews out for the day now - dammit!

Soldato
Looking at the pictures on the Inquirer it does indeed have a PCI-E connector for some bizarre reason. Very stupid decision by Gainward IMO as it's intended for AGP systems, the majority of which don't have PCI-E connectors

Fortunately you can buy adaptors

You need the Akasa PCI Express 6 Pin to 4 Pin Power cable adaptor for PCI-E Graphics Cards (CB-018-AK) from here

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Anybody who gets one and its not compatible with their PSU and they don't have the adapter. Contact OcUK with your order number and we shall post you an adapter out in the post for FREE. :)

Associate
ajgoodfellow said:
You need the Akasa PCI Express 6 Pin to 4 Pin Power cable adaptor for PCI-E Graphics Cards (CB-018-AK) from here

Thanks... one question though.. do you need two 4 pin connectors to go into this? or is it just the way the piture looks?

Thanks again

Soldato
Normally you would get these cables with the card, you do with a lot of PCIe cards. Maybe Gibbo should add this detail on the advert, or just package the cable with every card without people even asking, as 80% of AGP users would need i i reckon.

OcUK Staff
OP
Lanz said:
Normally you would get these cables with the card, you do with a lot of PCIe cards. Maybe Gibbo should add this detail on the advert, or just package the cable with every card without people even asking, as 80% of AGP users would need i i reckon.

Just spoke to Gainward and they confirm the adapter cables are including in the packaging. :)

P.S. Also rumoured 24 pipeline 7900 GT for AGP. :D Could be another OcUK exclusive as well. :) They shall hopefully be available possibly in a months time.

Caporegime
Gibbo said:
P.S. Also rumoured 24 pipeline 7900 GT for AGP. :D Could be another OcUK exclusive as well. :) They shall hopefully be available in approx a month.

Wow if thats true it really sucks to have bought one of these 7800GTs for this price when the 7900GT outperforms it by a fairly wide margin and can't be THAT much mroe expensive surely?

OcUK Staff
OP
Richdog said:
Wow if thats true it really sucks to have bought one of these 7800GTs for this price when the 7900GT outperforms it by a fairly wide margin and can't be THAT much mroe expensive surely?

Its a lot more expensive, AGP carries a huge premium as PCI-E is still the way forward.......

In order for Gainward to do this they have to use bridge chips and set of a new process run which takes up time and resources, all of which cost extra money and as Gainward are the only ones them and ourselves can use it to make good margins.

Associate
Gibbo said:
Just spoke to Gainward and they confirm the adapter cables are including in the packaging. :)

cheers Gibbo i was having a heart attack at the prospect of not being able to use mine. thank god Gainward thought about this in advance. i guess the card needs the extra power supply of the pci-e connection rather than having to make it take 2 molex connectors.

also fair play to OCUK for sorting this out so quick and also offering to provide the adaptor free of charge if needed, i'll tell u now theres a lot of online retailers wouldnt of bothered to be so helpful

cheers again

Soldato
These 7900GTs using the same pcb/memory? It would be amazing if they stuffed some 1500mhz DDR3 on them, be like a true 7800GTX 512MB. They would be worth over £300 then.

But i guess if they keep them the same, you're looking at standard 7800GTX performance.

OcUK Staff
OP
Lanz said:
These 7900GTs using the same pcb/memory? It would be amazing if they stuffed some 1500mhz DDR3 on them, be like a true 7800GTX 512MB. They would be worth over £300 then.

But i guess if they keep them the same, you're looking at standard 7800GTX performance.

Its all unknown yet, speaking to Gainward they have not confirmed whether they are going to do this yet its just a possibility thats looking likely to go ahead.

It will most likely have 512MB of memory so would be a 7800 GTX 256MB performance type card as the memory speed won't be silly quick as that cost too much money, however is still looking to be an absolute minimum of £300 +VAT and could be even higher. I predict the product to come out end of April and be priced around £300 - £350 +VAT............

So the 7800 GS/GT will remain a good seller as its a good bit cheaper and performance is not vastly different. 7900 GT only offers approx 10% ish performance advantage.....

Associate
Okay ive done some benchmarking, comparing this card 7800 @ stock to my overclocked x800pro which was running 16 pipes @ 500 core 500 mem

ATI X800 (overclocked)

3D Mark 03 - 11558
3D Mark 05 - 5550
3D Mark 06 - 1868

7800gs (stock)

3D Mark 03 - 14993
3D Mark 05 - 6689
3D Mark 06 - 3954

Thats a pretty good increase i reckon, i will overclock it and report back later :)

Back
Top Bottom