2022 QD-OLED thread

Soldato
I'm torn between and LG C2 or this S95B 65 inch. Both were hovering around 1500 Euros on Black Friday but I didn't bite.

Almost 5 year old C7 at the moment with burn in.

If we ignore the bent panel, as I would just return it and ask for a replacement, is there any tech that a C2 has that the Samsung doesn't, bar DV? I'm not concerned by laggy interface as the LG is quite laggy to be honest, it's no big deal when I mainly just use Netflix, D+ and Prime apps.

I would rather avoid LG if I can, purely cos they didn't offer me a cheap screen repair as they did others. If they had I'd stick with my C7 for a few more years till the burnin reappears ! Sony OLEDs are too pricey for me, so Samsung is the only quality option left, and I am intrigued by the increased brightness. Although as a man with a burnt in panel I doubt I will be cranking the brightness up on any future OLED without some trepidation :D

rp2000
Got my S95B at £1,300. It's really impressive. Glad I made the jump.
I actually wanted HDR10+ as that's what Amazon use and what we watch mostly.
As far as I'm aware it also has about the best input lag so great for gaming, it's fantastic paired with the PS5.
the interface and menus aren't the best. It has a few downsides but what TV doesn't.

Caporegime
Got my S95B at £1,300. It's really impressive. Glad I made the jump.
I actually wanted HDR10+ as that's what Amazon use and what we watch mostly.
As far as I'm aware it also has about the best input lag so great for gaming, it's fantastic paired with the PS5.
the interface and menus aren't the best. It has a few downsides but what TV doesn't.
Not being able to source a ps5 at retail price is why I didn't bite during black Friday sales. No point in a hdmi 2.1 console without 2.1 TV and vice versa! Now PS5s seem easier to get hold of, I'm sure I'll manage to snag one in the next 2 months.

I find Amazon prime quite hit and miss on the LG C7, I can only guess cos it's falling back to standard HDR or whatever it supports from 5 years ago.

January sales start in Spain on Saturday. Will see what bargains appear...

rp2000

Last edited:
Associate
You jump in when you have to. Always something better year on year. 5 years seems to be the sweet spot for a significant jump between upgrades and getting your moneys worth.
Agreed. Just bought a 55" S95B to relegate my KS8000 to a bedroom TV (and finally retire my wife's venerable 42" Samsung, one of the first generation LED ones from 2010). I initially wanted a C2 but they weren't in stock locally so I went for this instead. Excited to get it setup tonight!

Associate
Well now I'm irritated. Set the TV up and firstly, wow, as my first OLED I was expecting good things but was blown away! After reading up some settings and tuning it accordingly it was sublime, and then when the HDMI 2.1 lead turned up and I got stuck into 4K 120Hz HDR things just got better!

However (my own fault for not researching) on Monday I noticed HDR games (God of War aside, strangely) had lost some pop in the colours and brightness. I checked my settings to make sure they hadn't defaulted and they were the same. I checked the firmware version and it had updated to 1420.9, and after doing some research it seems it has issues with HGIG.

It still looks great but isn't what it was (very noticeable in darker areas in Jedi: Fallen Order when using the light saber, for instance), and I've learnt you can't downgrade the firmware.

Not sure what to do next, the panel is great (grey uniformity looks brilliant) and outside of Game mode HDR it's still superb) but I can't help but feel it's compromised to some degree. The retailer (large high street place) have said I can get a full refund or replacement, not sure whether I should live in hope of a firmware release that fixes the issue, swap it and hope for another good panel, or just get the refund and see if I can snag another OLED for cheaper when the '22 models go EOL/have a gander at the '23 ones.

Soldato
Well now I'm irritated. Set the TV up and firstly, wow, as my first OLED I was expecting good things but was blown away! After reading up some settings and tuning it accordingly it was sublime, and then when the HDMI 2.1 lead turned up and I got stuck into 4K 120Hz HDR things just got better!

However (my own fault for not researching) on Monday I noticed HDR games (God of War aside, strangely) had lost some pop in the colours and brightness. I checked my settings to make sure they hadn't defaulted and they were the same. I checked the firmware version and it had updated to 1420.9, and after doing some research it seems it has issues with HGIG.

It still looks great but isn't what it was (very noticeable in darker areas in Jedi: Fallen Order when using the light saber, for instance), and I've learnt you can't downgrade the firmware.

Not sure what to do next, the panel is great (grey uniformity looks brilliant) and outside of Game mode HDR it's still superb) but I can't help but feel it's compromised to some degree. The retailer (large high street place) have said I can get a full refund or replacement, not sure whether I should live in hope of a firmware release that fixes the issue, swap it and hope for another good panel, or just get the refund and see if I can snag another OLED for cheaper when the '22 models go EOL/have a gander at the '23 ones.
Have you tried messing with the ToneMapping settings on the TV in the Game Mode section?

Soldato
Samsung has a history of drastically changing image quality with firmware updates. The S95B TV had its brightness cut in half and HGIG also broken by firmware updates.

My advice: If your Samsung works and you're happy, don't do any firmware updates until you've read online what others say about it

Associate
Have you tried messing with the ToneMapping settings on the TV in the Game Mode section?

I'm going to try this after reading up settings on AVForums.

Samsung has a history of drastically changing image quality with firmware updates. The S95B TV had its brightness cut in half and HGIG also broken by firmware updates.

My advice: If your Samsung works and you're happy, don't do any firmware updates until you've read online what others say about it

Absolutely, the issue was I didn't realise auto updates were on. Won't be making that mistake again. My wife wants to go 65" so on I think I'll likely be returning it.

Associate
avsforum has settings to get Game Mode almost back to what it used to be.
It's still broken though so needs a fix from Samsung

I tried those and they looked pretty good but not a patch on how t was out of the box. I ended up returning it to the retailer yesterday for a full refund.

I've ordered another but 65" this time directly from Samsung (my wife has a Blue Light card so we got an excellent deal, and she wanted 10" more, something I can't offer). I'll be keeping it offline and buying a streaming unit to use with it.

Any recommendations on that front? I hear the Shield is excellent but it's expensive and quite a few folk say they really can't see the impact of the additional upscaling.

Soldato
Any recommendations on that front? I hear the Shield is excellent but it's expensive and quite a few folk say they really can't see the impact of the additional upscaling.

Shield is expensive because it's really good.
Buy cheap, buy twice... Shield will last a long long time.

I turned up-scaling off on mine. It's hard to describe exactly, but I found the up-scaling made things look fake

Last edited:
Associate
I got a shield but actually prefer the inbuilt apps. My TV has been online since day 1 and not updated, I just turned the auto update off.

I'd love to stick with the TV's interface (unlike many I have no issue with Tizen and quite like it in fact) but after the trouble I had and having read reports of some users S95B's updating even when auto updates were turned off, I'm too concerned to hook it up.

Soldato
Interesting, I guess it's very snappy for navigation and great for 4K HDR content? Does it support HDR10+?
It's snappy and as good as anything else for 4K HDR content.

I don't know about HDR10+ because I use the built in apps for most things. I only use my Shield for the few movies on my plex server which have uncompressed Atmos audio because the built in apps don't pass through TrueHD whereas devices plugged in via HDMI do pass through uncompressed TrueHD. I used my Shield a lot more with my old TV than this one but never tested HDR10+ with it.

Associate
It's snappy and as good as anything else for 4K HDR content.

I don't know about HDR10+ because I use the built in apps for most things. I only use my Shield for the few movies on my plex server which have uncompressed Atmos audio because the built in apps don't pass through TrueHD whereas devices plugged in via HDMI do pass through uncompressed TrueHD. I used my Shield a lot more with my old TV than this one but never tested HDR10+ with it.
Thanks for the feedback. I've ended up going with the Roku Streaming Stick 4K, mainly because I've ordered the Voice Remote Pro to go with it as it sounds very convenient.

Soldato
I tried those and they looked pretty good but not a patch on how t was out of the box. I ended up returning it to the retailer yesterday for a full refund.

I've ordered another but 65" this time directly from Samsung (my wife has a Blue Light card so we got an excellent deal, and she wanted 10" more, something I can't offer). I'll be keeping it offline and buying a streaming unit to use with it.

Do NOT buy the shield for streaming, unless it’s plex.

It doesn’t have automatic frame rate switching, and so 24 FPS content is sent to the TV at the frame rate the shield is set to, usually 60 FPS.

It causes motion issues and stuttering, and generally looks horrible.

Get an Apple TV instead, unless you’re looking to make use of game streaming.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Happy with my £40 Roku streaming stick ;)

Not found a device with as clean and simple interface.

Amazon sticks had really horrible UIs.

Last edited:
Associate
Happy with my £40 Roku streaming stick ;)

Not found a device with as clean and simple interface.

Amazon sticks had really horrible UIs.
That's good to hear, will be trying mine out tomorrow. Unfortunately the TV's been delayed until the end of January but at hopefully it'll coincide with my birthday. I'm sure it'll put the old Tizen version on my KS8000 to shame, it's slow and often has issues with Disney+.

Back
Top Bottom