• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Soldato
OP
AMD A10-7850K Performance Review.

Alongside the A10-7700K, the A10-7850K is a recent addition to AMD's A-Series line of APUs and uses the existing FM2+ socket. By using the new 28nm manufacturing process, these new APUs are able to run faster than the previous generation, even when running at a lower clock frequency. In addition, improvements in the graphical portion of the APU increases the capabilities of the integrated R7 graphics controller. Interestingly, the clock speed of these new APUs are actually lower than the models they are replacing.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AMD-A10-7850K-Performance-Review-529/

ssEi5JG.jpg
NpGgMj9.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@ CAT, if Broomsticks latest review is true then yes its an utter fail, a total pile of junk.

@ bumhug, I have to agree, I hope these results aren't legit, so far all the leaked benchys seem to point to very little CPU performance increase, in some cases a bit weaker and a nice GPU improvement over the 6800K.

Have to wait to see the legit reviews, starting to think if this is legit SR, I can see why a full desktop CPU only part wouldn't be worth the effort..

Hopefully it's all fud and we see a marked improvement in CPU and GPU.. Oh well speculation is always fun, hopefully some more reliable sources soon though...

Soldato
OP
Well along with Martini1991, I am going to keep the faith.. Surely AMD wouldn't release a new APU with all this fanfare if it was only 5% - 10% faster...

Remaining cautiously optimistic that it'll be a worthy upgrade..

It's not like AMD to disappoint either...

That last part may be sarcastic (;

Soldato
OP
1080P gaming is out of the question.

Ah well, was gonna pick one of these up for the kids PC but I'll skip the 7850K at launch then, and they can stick with their 5800K until a refresh or something, hopefully their will be more Kaveri chips later on... If not I'll wait for the next, next gen of APU :p

Soldato
OP
AMD Kaveri A10-7850K and A10-7700K Packaging Pictured – BIOS Update On FM2+ Boards Compulsory

With just a few days left in launch, leaks regarding the AMD Kaveri A10-7850K and A10-7700K are pouring in from all corners of the internet. Japanese site Hermitage Akihabra has revealed the first pictures of the A10-7850 Box packaging which will be available on retail on Wednesday morning.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-a10-...s-update-fm2-boards-compulsory/#ixzz2q1cDFh9U

Soldato
OP
Why You Should Be Excited for AMD’s Next Line of APUs

Even though Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD ) is shifting away from the enthusiast market, investors should be excited after its CES 2014 press conference where the company officially unveiled its next-generation APU, the Kaveri. It's not only AMD's latest in their line of APUs, it's also sporting new technology that the company, as well as its backers, are hoping will cause a paradigm shift in computing.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ould-be-excited-for-amds-next-line-of-ap.aspx

qYRHVHY.png

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Expert reviews weren't to impressed with the A8 7600, and the HD 7850K seems overpriced for what it is.. Oh well, hopefully future price cuts and maybe a refresh will make Kaveri a bit more exciting.. Will hang on to our 5800K until then..

At the present time we’re underwhelmed by the performance of the A8-7600 and cannot recommend it over a processor such as the Intel Core i3-3220. We hope this changes. We’d love to see the A8-7600 operating at its full potential, but until then we’d rather buy a Richland processor such as the A10-6800K and an FM2+ motherboard then upgrade to a Kaveri processor such as the A8-7600 or A10-7850K at a later date.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/processors/1304929/amd-a8-7600

Soldato
OP
So... it looks like for a gaming machine with a dedicated GPU i'd be better off going with Intel or an EOL Piledriver? Only problem with that is finding a motherboard.

Yeah, Intel plus dedicated is still better option unless your severely limited for space so that an APU is the only option..

Lol..I was expecting these to be £100~, not £140-150!!!!

Crazy price for such weak ass performance.

Agreed, if the 7850K had come in at 5800K/6800K price point, it would have been an 'ok' upgrade I guess, at current prices, it makes no real sense to choose over Intel's chips.

Still when the prices come down to £100ish, I might be tempted to retire our 5800K for a 7850K, still Kaveri overall is a bit meh, maybe the next lot of APU's will finally pack enough punch to game at 1080P, by game I mean more than 30fps and lowest settings...

Soldato
OP
The Kaveri IGP solution does provide enough punch.
It's just because it's hobbled with bandwidth really :(

I'd have somewhat hoped for an Iris Pro comparison to the A10.
I have no doubts that Intels Iris Pro successor, as inefficient as it is will generally post better results than the IGP in Kaveri, hell, I'd be surprised if it Iris Pro was far behind as it is.

Yup, Iris Pro is coming with high end CPU's with Broadwell, massive step up in IGPU from Intel incoming, could end up beating AMD at their graphics as well as CPU performance.

I know people don't like to criticize AMD, and I will likely be flamed for saying that I'm disappointed but I tend to call a spade a spade and we all have our own opinions, in my opinion this seems lackluster for the next gen APU.

Again, if the price was reasonable i.e in line with previous gens it would have been a more acceptable upgrade, but even at normal price their is nothing amazing here..

Going by OCUK current pricing, the top APU has increased in price 50%, performance us up 5%-10%?

Overall price has increased massively while performance has not. That's just not good for the consumer..

Soldato
OP
Prices starting to drop now, makes the 7850k more appealing. Once they hit 5800K/6800K level, I would say it's a nice upgrade option.

Also, if you look at the 7850K as kind of a base line for performance, and future APU's obviously will improve, within the next 1 or 2 gens I think we will finally see an APU that can say gaming at 1080P is possible, very impressive when it happens. AMD's long term goal is a decent one.

Soldato
OP
The thing is though, for the next APU, even if they just launched it with the same IGP, but with a bandwidth solution, it's going to be a jump.
If they sort bandwidth, get a 20NM GPU in there, we're talking some mighty impressive equipment.

Yeah, a die shrink and DDR4 support maybe even quad channel DDR4 would be a nice boost, even if your talking about the same amount of GCN cores as the 7850K..

For me a 3 module / 6 core with 768/1024 GCN shader units would be perfect for a small system / HTPC, or budget gaming PC.

Soldato
OP
AMD A10-7700K "Kaveri" De-lidded

Here are the first pictures of an AMD A10-7700K "Kaveri" APU with its integrated heat-spreader (IHS, or 'lid') removed. Put next to its predecessors, "Richland," "Trinity," and "Llano," AMD's new APU silicon is its biggest for the DIY PC market, more so because it's built on the 28 nm silicon fab process, compared to its predecessors being built on 32 nm. The die measures roughly 245 mm², and packs a staggering 2.41 billion transistors.

http://www.techpowerup.com/197051/amd-a10-7700k-kaveri-de-lidded.html

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom