Apple vs Samsung, court orders Samsung to show Apple 5 new phones

Soldato
How can you make a tablet or a mobile phone in any other way?, they have patents/design rights to shapes that you cant really avoid. God knows how people can innovate things like this. Its a gadget dictated by its screen.

Soldato
How can you make a tablet or a mobile phone in any other way?, they have patents/design rights to shapes that you cant really avoid. God knows how people can innovate things like this. Its a gadget dictated by its screen.

Clearly they should be making round or triangular tablets :D.

Soldato
A normal tablet can't even go up and down, but the Apple Tablet © can go sideways, and slantways, and longways, and backways...

European consumer: And frontways?

...and squareways, and frontways, and any other ways that you can think of

He sure got a Golden Ticket ;)

Soldato
I try to have respect for Apple, but every time I seem to read about them, it's always involves some type of patent issue or argument.

If they keep this up, people will see why lots of negative hatred is aimed at them. Most Apple buyers don't tend to recognise issues like this though because of their attraction to shinyness. This is been going on for years.

Soldato
I try to have respect for Apple, but every time I seem to read about them, it's always involves some type of patent issue or argument.

If they keep this up, people will see why lots of negative hatred is aimed at them. Most Apple buyers don't tend to recognise issues like this though because of their attraction to shinyness. This is been going on for years.

And its exactly why no matter how many law suits, the general Apple userbase won't give a monkeys. Apple will fortify their position at the top to make it near impossible for anyone to produce an innovative product capable of knocking them off their perch. Quite a sad thought really.

Soldato
Surely this will become an anti competition issue? Isn't this similar to when microsoft included a browser and you had to install it and they got taken to court etc over it? I can't quite see how this is good as in the end we will be left with just the ipad and the iphone if apple have their way.

Soldato
Not really related, the MS incident was more based around IE and the fact that you couldn't remove it / it came with windows when there was a competing product (netscape). This is more like "don't make stuff in rectangles"

Associate
I'm not Apple's biggest fan, but in fairness they aren't the only company heavy handed with their patents. These days everyone seems to be defending their patents against everyone else.

This page shows the status of litigation as of last October, I'm sure its got more complicated since then.

Whilst Apple suing someone seems to make the most noise, they are all at it so criticising Apple alone seems unfair.

Soldato
From what I can piece together it seems to me the only other phone/tablet manufacturers sueing Apple are counter sueing after Apple went after them in the first place?

Soldato
I'm not Apple's biggest fan, but in fairness they aren't the only company heavy handed with their patents. These days everyone seems to be defending their patents against everyone else.

This page shows the status of litigation as of last October, I'm sure its got more complicated since then.

Whilst Apple suing someone seems to make the most noise, they are all at it so criticising Apple alone seems unfair.

This isn't a "proper" patent, it's a design issue, Apple somehow got the design rights to a tablet shaped device, ie; rectangular with rounded corners. The ipad wasn't the first tablet so I don't see why they were granted it. So there are three groups to be angry at; Apple for being douches and stifling competition with bogus suits, the European group which granted the design right and the German court which rules with only one party presenting (The action that was brought in Germany doesn't require that the company the injunction is against be notified that the action is occurring so Samsung wouldn't have known this was happening and had no input or appeal)

Man of Honour
The problem is, some 'intelligent person' has decided to grant Apple (although this isn't unique to them) patents on very vague and stupid things. So Apple are naturally (as any aggressive business would) trying to enforce these patents and get competitor products removed from sale.

There is a Dutch journalist tweeting at the hearing today and some of the stuff Apple are coming out with is hilarious, trying to argue the Galaxy Tab is "the same rough shape as the iPad, so therefore it's an infringement" :p

Soldato
There is a Dutch journalist tweeting at the hearing today and some of the stuff Apple are coming out with is hilarious, trying to argue the Galaxy Tab is "the same rough shape as the iPad, so therefore it's an infringement" :p

I really hope whoever is presiding over the hearing has a reasonable amount of common sense and gets this whole ridiculous non issue sorted.

Back
Top Bottom