Arctic Freezer III now available.....

Soldato
Also I managed to fit the aio in the front of my phantek evolv x.

I ordered the 360mm & the 420mm as am going fit one of them into my Evolv X case

But I have no idea if it going be better to use the 420mm in the front (intake) or to use the 360mm in the roof (exhaust), it going be used to cool a 14900k

Last edited:
Associate
I ordered the 360mm & the 420mm as am going fit one of them into my Evolv X case

But I have no idea if it going be better to use the 420mm in the front (intake) or to use the 360mm in the roof (exhaust), it going be used to cool a 14900k

personal i would use it in the roof as exhaust. Nice to have the option of try both though and seeing which you like

Soldato
OP
The 420mm, if I left the vcore settings on default, as well as the power limits set default in the BIOS, would be pushed to keep the 14700k cool IF being pushed with the likes of CB23 etc. But, as I undervolt the CPU, and it is not used in anything like CB23, the 420mm does a great job. My 420mm is in the roof, I would doubt that the pipes would be long enough to front mount it in my case. With intake fans on the front, and base, with an exhaust fan a tthe rear, all running quietly, it is cool and quiet enough.
Until summer......

Soldato
OP
"fo-fan" (?). The non RGB has zero RGB plugs and no lighting. The outer fan effect on the pump housing, the look, is just black. The VRM fan is internal to the fan effect look. On my A-RGB version it is coloured white, I suppose so that the RGB lights emit light through it.

Caporegime
"fo-fan" (?). The non RGB has zero RGB plugs and no lighting. The outer fan effect on the pump housing, the look, is just black. The VRM fan is internal to the fan effect look. On my A-RGB version it is coloured white, I suppose so that the RGB lights emit light through it.

Ya the radial bladed looking thing on top of the pump that looks like a fan but isn't.

I was wondering if you could save a little cash getting the none RGB one and maybe adding the RGB fans later, but if the decorative thing on top of the pump is alose just dark it complicates that a little, thanks :)

Soldato
OP
I have only seen photos of the non A-RGB type. I get the impression that the shroud / cover for the non-RGB one is very different in how it is built. The lights within that cover of the RGB one radiate out to the fake fan fins, being translucent white. The core of it containing the RGB LED's.
Probably similar to the fans being different for the radiator between models.

Soldato
OP
@humbug To be frank, I can't say that, for me, getting the A-RGB version was worth it. From an aesthetic point of view. I can't see anything at all in terms of RGB for the fans, the radiator being in the top of the case, which in turn is placed on the floor. The radiator is set above the fans so all you see from the outside is the black of that.
The small circular block fan is.....................kinda mediocre, but ok I suppose. At least that can be seen. Only mediocre compared to much more expensive other offerings for displays on an AIO - if that is what you want.
The cheap set of RGB lights x4 strips that I bought from Amazon, plug into the motherboard, have been far more effective.
Overall, I would now have bought the Non A-RGB type for the 420mm at £71 than the the RGB type at £83. The 360mm being just under £67.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@humbug To be frank, I can't say that, for me, getting the A-RGB version was worth it. From an aesthetic point of view. I can't see anything at all in terms of RGB for the fans, the radiator being in the top of the case, which in turn is placed on the floor. The radiator is set above the fans so all you see from the outside is the black of that.
The small circular block fan is.....................kinda mediocre, but ok I suppose.
The cheap set of RGB lights x4 strips that I bought from Amazon, plug into the motherboard, have been far more effective.
Overall, I would now have bought the Non A-RGB type for the 420mm at £71 than the the RGB type at £83.

When i buy one i will do it when i rebuild my rig in a new case, i don't currently have any RGB, aside from a small barely visible bit on my Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, even my brand new GPU doesn't have any, its a no frills Sapphire that just doesn't come with any.

I would like some lighting, i'm looking at some of the pictures people have been posting and it looks nice but i also don't want to over do it, the £15 extra for the 280mm RGB vs not is not a problem, it not much more expensive but i have been thinking about using A-RGB strips to highlight the internals of the case, to illuminate the board and the GPU, what i don't want is to have the case glowing in RGB puke, so i don't know if i need the RGB fans.

Soldato
OP
I do surprise myself, typically being adverse to garish flashing or pulsing RGB, that I have what I have in my case. But the lighting is there, static, even the "RTX" on the 4080 GPU, in white - not figured how to change its colour, or care to.

I just didn't want you to think about the cost being a factor, not knowing how long this "special" price is going to run for. I just couldn't see a AF II 360 keeping at £67 or a 420mm at £71 for that long. 23rd year anniversary or something for AC.

I must have missed the specials that Jensen offered last year, when Nvidia celebrated their 30 years in business. Perhaps we all did, miss them that is.

Caporegime
I have the Freezer II 360, its too big, it limits my case choices too much given that i would never put it in the front.

Weirdly the Freezer II 360 RGB is the same £100 price as the 240 Freezer II, i suspect its because the 360 doesn't sell well, again, too big...

Hence the 280 is what i'm looking for, that fits in the top of most cases, i would even step down to a 240 if i must, my next CPU is very likely to be another Ryzen and those things can run on Box coolers, cooling them isn't a concern, you can go with pretty much anything.

The 280 III RGB is currently £83, if it goes to £100 or a bit more once the intro offer is over that's fine, the Freezer II has been so good i'm not looking for anything else and i just spent £500 on a new GPU, i have other commitments too so it will have to wait anyway. I'm still looking at cases tho pretty much decided on a black 4000D Mesh front, i also want a new mouse, i need a new mouse pad/mat, thinking about going XXL for that, i'm quite happy with the Roccat 121 Keyboard, tho the space bar lifts off edge retainers and then rocks, that's a design flaw and probably its the skirtless keys that are part of the problem, or they are just not on tight enough, they do come off easy.
And some RGB strips......

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Point taken regarding your cooler choices, with respects to your case.
I can only imagine at some point either Intel will need to change with what they offer for consumer CPU's or I'll jump ship to AMD. That is a future consideration but to see, in some, not typical, situations that it is possible to push even a 420mm AIO to working hard to cool and unlimited 14700k is somewhat ridiculous.
Apart from the issues you have noted with the linked keyboard, it seems very impressive. A pity that those problems are not being addressed.
Your shopping list................................ I see they do a 4000D RGB variant, if that works for you. I did try a 5000D case, Corsairs build quality is amazing, the thickness of the gauge of steel and the finishing touches are good. You should be happy with that. At least the numbers of 3.5" drives aren't a concern anymore.

Soldato

I got received both of now, I Just need to wait for my z790 motherboard & CPU/ram to come now (They meant to arrive Friday)

9K5nDsT.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
I genuinely don't see the appeal of RGB.
Got a 4K 144Hz monitor to what, sit and look at the inside of the PC and watch some simple lights change colour? It's not for me.
It is true that I'm probably missing out on having a lot of people in my life because I don't have RGB in my PC, but if that's all they want me for...

Which is a long and perhaps overly aggressive way of saying plain black one for me! (Plain white would also be acceptable but I think it's more expensive for some reason)

Soldato
OP
Does anyone remember when Gigabyte made their Fisher Price range of motherboards....

2000.jpg

....they were the prototype of what RGB has become.

For now I have changed from static blue to green. Begrudgingly, I will admit to say it's "ok", damn I'm trying hard to not actually like it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom