Cities Skylines 2 is Official!

Soldato
OP
I kind of want to go back to cities skylines 1, I said I would, but I haven't as of yet, the thing that put me off skylines 1 with all mods is I just felt it was very hard to get population to improve, so much so I was planting buildings with a high number of rooms and population didn't seem to increase.

The thing that is bugging me about cities skylines 2 are the buildings, you go high density and I just think its unrealistically high rise, and there is a lack of variety when it comes to buildings I think. And these buildings plastered with banners just look daft.

Soldato
I get the impression that CS 2 has little in the way of variety of residential buildings before you run into a town of clones. I am not sure how they go in with area type themes, areas of the map associated with certain building types. Much I have seen of parks and other play type areas seems as tho the yare present in a post apocalyptic world, lacking children or crowds.
Whilst I haven't felt compelled to go back to try CSII, and will wait to see what modding offers before doing so, I haven't bothered going back to CS either...

Soldato
OP
The other thing that did my head in tho with CS1 was buildings not nicely together (like with the newer expansion) and also I could never get themes right so I had a lot of certain themes, I'm not sure if its dependent on downloading theme packs but linking them to theme manager seemed an issue, and the only way was ploppable as far as I could see.

But CS2 building style, traffic jams, power distribution and performance are issues starting to annoy me. I don't know if I need to delete my assets and re-look at downloading mods.

Have you got an accessible list of all your mods/assets on steam? Kind wouldn't mind in carbon copying someone elses especially someone who makes nice cities

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you got an accessible list of all your mods/assets on steam? Kind wouldn't mind in carbon copying someone elses especially someone who makes nice cities

I did uninstall CS quite some time back. Recently I reinstalled it BUT many of the mod that I used to have were either outdated or no longer needed etc etc.
So, what was once a huge collection of relevant mods and assets is now no more.

I do know at some point I'll need to look at that and spend a long time not only subbing to them, but also remembering how they work..!

I did what I did with the expectations of my CSII making CS somewhat irrelevant.....

Thanks to CSII, CS is back installed with a thought to look at the mods and assets again....

That's a poor reflection of CSII.

BTW I might have had most of the better detailing mods at one point, but my efforts and commitment in city painting was not up to what you can see on YT...!

Soldato
I do know at some point I'll need to look at that and spend a long time not only subbing to them, but also remembering how they work..!

Yea it's the reason I wouldn't go back to play it now, it would take so long to try and sort my game out and remembering what does what it puts me off.

You'd be better wiping your game completely to base and building it up again, but again you'd need to try and figure out what mod does what and what the base game does etc.

It's really frustrating they are taking so long with their in house mod manager on CS2, it's pretty crap actually. I like CS2 and gave it a positive steam review based on it's potential, but starting to leave me bitter the longer they are leaving it.

Associate
My city is up to 305,000 now and the game has completely slowed to a crawl. I'm going to have to start again and build something a little smaller until there's significant performance improvements. Frustrating.

Some of the things you can already do with mods\the dev mode suggests the game is going to be really good once the official mods arrive, assuming they can sort out the performance.
I can only reach 200k before it turns unplayable for me, takes about 5 mins for a house to spawn even on fast mode

Soldato
OP
I started playing Cities Skylines 1 again and it took a lot less time than I thought to sort it out. If you don't already you can use SKYVE which will allow you to unsubscribe to bad mods or subscribe to import missing mods etc.. and report incompatibilities, makes life so much easier.

Took a bit of time tweaking the graphics and getting to grips with the controllers, intersection marking tool takes a bit of time.

Hopefully a few months and CS2 will be up to scratch.

Soldato
Yea it's the reason I wouldn't go back to play it now, it would take so long to try and sort my game out and remembering what does what it puts me off.

You'd be better wiping your game completely to base and building it up again, but again you'd need to try and figure out what mod does what and what the base game does etc.

It's really frustrating they are taking so long with their in house mod manager on CS2, it's pretty crap actually. I like CS2 and gave it a positive steam review based on it's potential, but starting to leave me bitter the longer they are leaving it.

I was happy enough to stop playing CS 1. Having removed my subs for so many assets and mods. That was fine at the time, as I really did believe that CO / Paradox would, at the very least, offer CS II is a playable form with full mod support at launch. Playable, not considering performance and stability, those should be a given, but considering the bar was raised somewhat high by CS 1, it would have a decent amount of content in the vanilla game and offer a reasonable number of functionality seen in the top so many mods that have extended the functionality and longevity of CS.
What we got on launch was kinda the opposite of what was reasonably expected.

I never thought of the need to consider to go back to CS 1, and to do so if I wish to play a Cities game due to the state of CS II. Mod support seems just as far away as it did when launched, three months back.

It's just a mess, understatement.

I started playing Cities Skylines 1 again and it took a lot less time than I thought to sort it out. If you don't already you can use SKYVE which will allow you to unsubscribe to bad mods or subscribe to import missing mods etc.. and report incompatibilities, makes life so much easier.

Took a bit of time tweaking the graphics and getting to grips with the controllers, intersection marking tool takes a bit of time.

Hopefully a few months and CS2 will be up to scratch.

Thanks for the heads up about SKYVE. When I get round to stop playing WRSR that is where I'll look. How many mods / assets have you got so far..? I remember, at one point, I was like a child in a sweet shop - the game that influenced me to go to 32GB of DDR4 RAM...!

Soldato
OP
I have about 70 mods I think and 4000 assets. I kinds of want to consolidate my assets and have better quality ones but this I am putting off as it's very time consuming. I want some quality asset packs and then themes.

It seems like i have to create the themes myself. Also I have a good few of the content creator packs but actually selectively using the buildings seems difficult and also they're mashed up on rico with loads of others.

If that what all organised that in itself would make CS1 epic for me. Always had the problem of mix and match districts looking messy.

And indeed, the only reason I have 32gb DDR (And 60gb pagefile - on an NVME for much improved performance) is Cities Skylines 1 :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I do remember when the mod came out for CS that allowed you to paint districts and create themes, it was quite amazing. Combine that with RICO (?) and you had some serious control over districts and at what level etc buildings developed. But.............as you mention, to sort all of that out takes time to get organised with theme packs etc. I was really hopeful that would have been something that CS II would have been able to do better.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to uninstall all my assets, keep mods, run SKYVE make sure the mods ok, then subscribe to some district styles and go from there.

Sooo, what a nightmare, initially, SKYVE has difficulty handling huge amounts of assets so I was left with 1500 still subbed. So I had to unsubscribe via content manager.

I copied the list of asset IDs with SKYVE and then once unsubbed everything I pasted this, its in the utilities section, it's super quick at bringing the list and makes it way better and super easy to re subscribe to mods and assets.

So now I've got my mods, and 3500 assets again, just different assets, generally all from district styles now and will see how that does!

Last edited:
Associate
Just seen via Youtube that the Modding & DLC1 patch is being released on the 25th.

DLC1 (incl in season pass)
Waterfront Zone
A new residential zoning option dedicated to waterfront buildings allows you to redefine your city's coastline.

Beach Properties
Each theme adds growable residential buildings waiting to populate your new waterfront zone, from luxurious waterfront mansions to charming beachside cottages.

Signature Waterfront Buildings
Tailored to fit into European or North American architectural themes, these signature buildings are crafted to highlight your city’s beachfront.

CSII_BeachProperties-Gifs-RotatingBuildings.gif

Beach Properties features 70 new assets, including:
  • 10 North American residential buildings with three levels (30 assets)
  • 10 European residential buildings with three levels (30 assets)
  • Six signature buildings
  • AND Four New trees

Modding
With Mods (short for modifications), you can tailor your gaming experience to your unique preferences. Uploaded by creators all over the world, you can pick between anything to create the city of your dreams. Along with Beach Properties, the first wave of Cities: Skylines II Modding will be available. The Beta release of Modding will initially support Map and Code mods.

With the Map Editor, you can make maps with the Terraforming Tools you’re used to, import hightmaps to create highly accurate depictions of your hometown, and upload your creations to Paradox Mods.

With the Code Tools, you can show off your coding skills and create Code Mods to meet your heart's desire!

Future updates will improve on these tools and come to include support for Asset Mods. As we’ve talked about before, there will be updates to these tools that we are currently working on, and we will see some updates before the 1.0 release. We will be taking your opinion into consideration when we continue to work on the editor and are looking forward to seeing the feedback that you might have.

The fact that this patch includes a largely Asset based DLC, and yet modding doesnt include Asset mods, is a bit of a joke. I get theres a vast difference between them adding 70 new assets and giving us the tools to add and manipulate new models into the game, but IMO its not a good look.
Im also not exactly impressed that the FREE regional asset pack update that was used to dampen the disappointment of the state of release and lack of modding at launch, still hasnt been launched and the first opportunity to add a tiny bit of variety to the game, comes in the form of paid DLC.

Out of interest, is anyone still playing CS2? I dont see myself spending any real time on it until modding is fully implemented, and it might even take a full fat DLC or 2 (like Industries or Theme Parks/Zoo types) before i bother, and i bought a 7950X3D over the largely superior 7800X3D because i expected to be playing a lot of this game and more cores would help (it does, i just dont wanna play it!). Im glad im still only playing via GamePass at this point, but that also adds an extra barrier because if im buying DLC it wont be for the Xbox edition that i dont own (its temporary etc), so it needs to justify £50+ spend.

Soldato
Personally I think it's good news and well overdue about the modding support.

I'm not playing it no, but will fire it up and have a look in a few weeks maybe when that's in and running.

Soldato
Looking forward to the mod support and this is a good step forward.

I’ve not played since December, not really had the time so it will be good to see some improvements and core mods available when I come back to it.

The lack of mods like a proper ‘traffic/road’ manager and move it have been somewhat annoying.

Man of Honour
Out of interest, is anyone still playing CS2? I dont see myself spending any real time on it until modding is fully implemented, and it might even take a full fat DLC or 2 (like Industries or Theme Parks/Zoo types) before i bother, and i bought a 7950X3D over the largely superior 7800X3D because i expected to be playing a lot of this game and more cores would help (it does, i just dont wanna play it!). Im glad im still only playing via GamePass at this point, but that also adds an extra barrier because if im buying DLC it wont be for the Xbox edition that i dont own (its temporary etc), so it needs to justify £50+ spend.
Sadly I'm in the same boat, until the modding is implemented properly I've dropped this onto the backburner. Real shame.

Caporegime
Are they really releasing paid DLC for a game that cst 40 or 50 at launch, had barely any patches at all and most owners agree the games a broken mess.
It was pretty much released with about the content you would expect from an Early Access title, but was a supposed full game release.

I guess this is one of the developers I can add to the "Never Buying A Game You Make Ever Again" list.

Kerbal 2 seems to be another game where different devs seem to have basically cashed in one the first games success too. glad I held of buying that one.

Last edited:
Soldato
@PaulC2K Interesting, what you have written.
Whilst I add some concerns with CS II pre ordering, and that Paradox / CO love their paid content, I really thought that CS II would have been in safe hands, in terms of what would be delivered at launch and then continued with regular updates. Even tho I felt disappointed when I pre-ordered Sim City 2013 (?) I didn't think that CS II would disappoint as it has done.
So sad, and so much that should not have happened.

I think that it will take much more than they are going to deliver on the 25th, paid content - ha, to make me feel interested in playing this one.

I need to be reminded of this game if I ever feel the need to pre-order another...

Back
Top Bottom