Gobsmacked about the Philips Fidelio X1

Man of Honour
The padding is memory foam so won't ever go flat or soft. Just wipe the velour bits with cleaning wipes every now and then to keep them fresh. Will work out cheaper than buying new pads every 2-3~ years.

Alternatively you can pull the pads off as they're glued on and then fit Beyerdynamic DT880 pads which fit according to Head-Fi.

daz

daz

Soldato
I may just have to reconsider my options then, the chief one being will it bring a noticeable improvement on my DT 990 pros or is the sound just "different"?

Once you get in to this level of headphones, speakers or anything audio related it does become incredibly subjective and a pair of headphones fantastic for one person are not necessarily the same for you. I would probably suggest that they will fall under the "different" label.

For me, the X1s are a very good all rounder rather than excelling in anything in particular.

Associate
I may just have to reconsider my options then, the chief one being will it bring a noticeable improvement on my DT 990 pros or is the sound just "different"?

It's different, very open sounding (more so than the 990's). The treble on the 990's (I had 250ohm) was super sharp, too piercing for my ears, X1 less so. I was using the Fiio E12 and a Cowon D2 (flacs). Sub bass is better on the DT 990 and DT770.

Man of Honour
rps20140119_234400_600.jpg

Sorry about the phone pic but the Fisual cable has another unique benefit, it's so silicone/flexible that you can literally "track" it around your desk and it just stays there :p

Soldato
almost bough the philips fidelio m1 from john lewis for £75(down from £100), but then decided to wait for the x1 to drop to sub £150 again(kicking myself I missed the £138).
have been looking at the momentum over ears but they're £200+, while they're good for taking out and about I couldn't find any info on their gaming capabilities where's the x1 are meant to be good.

Man of Honour
I wasn't impressed with the Momentum at all - IMO they're not worth even half their asking price and are more inline with the Beats headphones,just with less bass and slightly better treble. They also sit on the ear which isn't very comfortable for long sessions.

Soldato
Amazon.com have them for $149.99 today only for those interested, even with custom charges and shipping works out a lot cheaper than buying them here. Phillips say their warranty is international so will honour it here but you might wanna double check with them before doing anything.

Caporegime
Ohhh I am really interested in these but the only issue I have is the lack of wireless... I know the SQ is of course better with a wired connection, but I really want the option of listening wireless in order to reduce wires in my room and so I can walk between my office and bedroom. :(

Man of Honour
Bluetooth audio receiver connected to a very short 3.5mm jack connected to the X1? Would work great and you can stream music from your laptop/phone/network player etc.

SOund quality of Bluetooth has improved considerably recent years. You have aptX which is lossless transmission and even units that are not the quality is still very good as I found in a cheap eBay receiver that I have spare.

Caporegime
Bluetooth audio receiver connected to a very short 3.5mm jack connected to the X1? Would work great and you can stream music from your laptop/phone/network player etc.

SOund quality of Bluetooth has improved considerably recent years. You have aptX which is lossless transmission and even units that are not the quality is still very good as I found in a cheap eBay receiver that I have spare.

Hmm tempting... can you recommend any good Bluetooth receiver (doesn't have to be 'cheap')? Would it also work well for TV listening?

And you don't have to convince me on Bluetooth sound... I have a Sony soundbar and the quality of music it produces was really an pleasant surprise when I first bought it, having downgraded from a Quad L-ite 5.1 speaker set. :)

Soldato
As above i just ordered for £120 inc shipping (the slow one) from amazon.com

Could have got it fast for a few quid more but wanted to push the bargain as far as possible.

Dead pleased. £120!:D

Caporegime
As above i just ordered for £120 inc shipping (the slow one) from amazon.com

Could have got it fast for a few quid more but wanted to push the bargain as far as possible.

Dead pleased. £120!:D

Expect around 150 quid after customs and tax. :)

You could have nabbed my Samsung aptx receiver (HS3000 but it sold on AVF 2 days ago, :o

But anything in that kind of class would be fine I'd say, maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aves-Mercur...1390391986&sr=8-5&keywords=bluetooth+receiver

There are loads of different ones available though.

Cheers mrk I'll mull it over!

Soldato
Got confirmation from Phillips that they do international warranty on these so doesn't matter if you buy from America.

Expect around 150 quid after customs and tax. :)

Amazon estimate the customs duty and take the money from you upfront. So it might be a few pound more but not a lot, it could even work out less so Amazon will refund the difference. If the value of item is below £135 only incurs 20% VAT and no customs charge IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom