Helldivers 2

Associate
It has similarities to Fireteam (which I really liked) in terms of the set up but levelling up is different and you don't level your gear and weapons here or add attachments. Gameplay is all outdoors here, no ship corridors and that kind of thing and of course the best thing about Fireteam isn't here - that electric whistle sound of the mag emptying. More enemy types though.

It really is good fun though and has a longer appeal than AFE.
Ok cheers. I'll probably still try out Aliens first, I'm a big fan of the movies,yes even AVP 2 :) I was about 6 when my big sister was babysitting me and she put Aliens on. I was checking under my bed and in my wardrobe lol, scared the poo out of me. But I've loved it ever since.

Soldato
OP
Haha we were playing that objective last night. The sound with headphones when that nuke hits is glorious.
There are so many reels and memes on instagram about it. Obviously me looking at one has opened the doors to a thousand of them though.

Its funny because it's hardly revolutionised gaming but the gaming industry seems to be in real strife at the moment and here we have something that kind of sneaked up on us. Its far from the greatest game of all time, it's not even full price, it launched with massive server issues, buggy as hell, has no campaign or story mode and has an element of monetisation and is very limited in its scope yet it is having such a huge impact on the community.
I think game studios forget we want something that is fun to play and when we get that, we don't really care much about the other bits.

Soldato
There are so many reels and memes on instagram about it. Obviously me looking at one has opened the doors to a thousand of them though.

Its funny because it's hardly revolutionised gaming but the gaming industry seems to be in real strife at the moment and here we have something that kind of sneaked up on us. Its far from the greatest game of all time, it's not even full price, it launched with massive server issues, buggy as hell, has no campaign or story mode and has an element of monetisation and is very limited in its scope yet it is having such a huge impact on the community.
I think game studios forget we want something that is fun to play and when we get that, we don't really care much about the other bits.
Totally. It’s brilliant for all the right reasons. It’s just, you know, fun! Everyone who plays at my work is talking about it even some lapsed gamers. Such a buzz around it. The best £35 I’ve spent in years. Sure there are a few bugs and I just had my first PS5 crash after 15 hours but I’m OK with that considering what dross we get served these days most of the time. I’m a bit disappointed in myself that I waited a week to be convinced it was worth a play. Anyone who is on the fence just do it now. Think Starship Troopers or Lost Planet with mates or randoms. Either way it’s brilliant.

Soldato
OP
Had a decent sized patch according to the PC players. 2.7G. Breaker nerfed :rolleyes:

• Helldivers standing next to ICBMs during launch will get properly toasty with a chance of not-so-spontaneous combustion.

Soldato
Had a decent sized patch according to the PC players. 2.7G. Breaker nerfed :rolleyes:

Railgun too :(

Mind you, it did seem daft being able to stand there and headshot a bunch of them, without much danger.

Now you need to use the alt fire mode, otherwise the shots just bounce off

Associate
Grabbed it the other day based on what you have all said and watched stuff on YouTube, and I'm so glad I did. Such a fun game to play and fills that 'I've got an hour to play' slot perfectly.

Soldato
Corrrrr blimey, the last 2 updates have change the game a fair bit! Solo is now quite a challenge, on Challenging unsurprisingly

Nerfed rail gun made me sad, as you cannot easily (insomuch as not taking hits from) take down the charger now, but I understand the alt fire (unsafe mode) allows a bit of overcharge and still can penetrate their armor.

Chargers also seem a bit more nimble on their toes - diving to the side of them was a sure fire way to avoid a charge, but they pivot and carry on now!

The Breaker shotgun feels like it's doing half the damage now, and it's lost a few round from the mag, it was the go to gun to keep you safe - now it's a bit pants. As is the first shotgun, as although that does the highest damage, in reality you sometimes need 2 shots on a basic bug.

I quite like the meteor storms they've added, as its like a free 380mm barrage lol

Edit: I think they've also stopped you being able to deploy on top of mountains and rocks now, as the pod gets steered away at the last moment, regardless of how much you try - guess they don't want you hiding on top and spamming turrets on a defend mission. Boooooooo! Oh, and bug density is also increased now too!

Last edited:
Soldato
Only just found out you can hold square to bring up quick options for weapons, and ping locations with R1:

No idea why that wasn't mentioned in the tutorial. Better to find out after a few days of playing than a few months I guess!

Soldato
Yeah strange none of that was in the tutorial as a spot is an important thing to know especially if people are not talking. The spotting mechanic is simple and very useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been a bit buggy since the patch. I had a few issues:
  • Can't reload or fire my weapon
  • Can't toggle back to gun after using grenade
  • Pod landing inside solid objects trapping me.

Back
Top Bottom