• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia App - the new replacement for the Legacy Nvidia Control Panel,Geforce Experience and RTX Experience

Soldato
The Nvidia app is still way behind AMD but in the right direction. I installed it but it's basically one page for settings and another page for the game profiles. Very bare bones.

It's missing quite a bit of control panel settings, it's basically only the 3D settings that have been carried over, everything else is not yet there, so like if you wanna turn Gsync off or disable multi monitor, or change colors etc that stuff is not transferred yet. But Nvidia says everything is coming, everything that control panel does, the Nvidia app will do as well, plus the Nvidia app will do new stuff like GPU overclocking etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I really didn't see the problem with the old one, it did everything it was supposed to do and was simple to use. What on earth are people doing to spend so much time in a driver control panel that they feel it isn't up to scratch? Now we have a bloated heap of crap with junk in it that I will never use such as Geforce experience and it looks like they will be pushing games at us (probably gpu's as well) through it so even more advertising to put up with. On top of that we could be seeing the first ever 1GB+ driver downloads. It's a driver!! Why the hell do we need a app? I suppose this will now kill off being able to cut down the driver so that we can do a minimum install.

The old control panel does the job mostly, but it lacks features like overclocking, and everything GeForce experience has is missing too. Most importantly though the UI is bad and was not designed to have this many options - give a new Nvidia owner the control panel and ask them to enable RTX hdr and see how long it takes to find it without google... that's a bad user experience, everything is hidden away. You're just used to how bad control panel is

Last edited:
Soldato
Would this effect nVidia inspector out of interest

I have a bad feeling this in time will break a lot of apps like this and they will enforce logging in to use its full features in time, if we didn't need to login as they state why do they still have the login rubbish ?

Also not too happy about Geforce experience being part of this too and no option just to install drivers without this bloatware rubbish.

We will have to wait and see, they may end up doing this and still having the normal control panel hidden away as like what windows 11 has done too... just a reskin of windows 10 and the important things that gave you real control hidden under many windows before you get to the original control panel or setting panel, windows 11 is horrendous for that as the reskin doesn't really do everything and when you need some feature from before you have to dig up the old settings panel that is hidden threw a maze of clicks now or using the command/powershell/terminal prompt :mad: . R.I.P power users and giving all the control to the os makers and driver makers now.. This may end up backfiring unless they also keep the original control panel in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a bad feeling this in time will break a lot of apps like this and they will enforce logging in to use its full features in time, if we didn't need to login as they state why do they still have the login rubbish ?

because the app has a cd key redeem feature so in future if your GPU comes with a key to unlock a game you can redeem the key through the app to get your game instead of having to go to a website. Its the only thing you have to log in for, just if you want to redeem cd keys

Last edited:
Associate
I really didn't see the problem with the old one, it did everything it was supposed to do and was simple to use. What on earth are people doing to spend so much time in a driver control panel that they feel it isn't up to scratch? Now we have a bloated heap of crap with junk in it that I will never use such as Geforce experience and it looks like they will be pushing games at us (probably gpu's as well) through it so even more advertising to put up with. On top of that we could be seeing the first ever 1GB+ driver downloads. It's a driver!! Why the hell do we need a app? I suppose this will now kill off being able to cut down the driver so that we can do a minimum install.
Control and optimization?

there are so many people that use PCs to game on and don't know a thing about settings in games or drivers to get the most out of them.

I spend a lot of time in driver menus and in game options, its a good learning experience and no, the older driver did not what it was suppose to do because there was 2 external applications you needed to get the most out of Nvidia hardware, it should have everything in one place to allow to control your expensive hardware.

Associate
Old control panel is best, no bloat no navigating through endless sub menus just straight up functional.
Once peope get a taste of the new bloat watch the posts pop up saying how good the old control panel was.
They wont miss it till it's gone
Its not functional though, half of the options settings in the drivers are useless in modern games, thats how old it is and never mind the external applications you needed to actually have the option of fully using the GPU.

NV inspector should never of been a thing outside of the official drivers.

Soldato
I'll take the hit and say what almost every other Nv user doesn't want to say, considering Adrenaline's been played down for years and still is going off of some of the comments over the threads, after using Adrenaline, the current NCP looks and runs like the Joe Biden of software, it's absolute dug *****!

'Who uses it?'

'Set it and forget, not as if you need to do anything'

That's because you didn't want to go there.

when you get that feeling of...

Launch game.

Aw ****!

Can I just not get by without disabling G-Sync? :eek:

Launch NCP, zzz...

Why did I open NCP? zzz...

Then realising after you closed down NCP and launched the game to then exit the game and having to open NCP again....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Because I forgot to turn off V-Sync too:p then relaunch the game!

Yes I could save it to a profile, but that takes even more zzz's to populate your game library.

Then when you clean install, you had to do it all over again.:cry:

Where as Adrenaline can do all that and a bucket load more in game within a few clicks.

Bring it on Nv!

Soldato
Its not functional though, half of the options settings in the drivers are useless in modern games, thats how old it is and never mind the external applications you needed to actually have the option of fully using the GPU.

NV inspector should never of been a thing outside of the official drivers.

But older games can make use of them. PC gaming is not just about new games it's about the older library of games too that need to keep working too.

Caporegime
I couldn't really care less about the UI, it's great that's been updated to look more modern but like all modern designed apps, lots of wasted space but like I have always said, I never needed to go in the CP to do tweaks or anything, same with radeon control panel (well except for when my settings would reset for whatever reason which was a pita)

Biggest things for me with these drivers is:

- DLDSR res being able to be applied without having to switch in windows before for the games that don't have a true exclusive fullscreen i.e. most dx 12 titles
- RTX HDR (way better than windows auto hdr and far less faff/issues than you would get with special k)
- in future, looks like dlss swapper/tweaks functionality will be in the nvidia app (so no need for dlss tweaks or dlss swapper)

Those are actual game changers now.

Clock controls will be nice but alas, I'll still be keeping msi ab and rt as it's performance monitoring is better unless nvidia add frame latency/pacing, vram dedicated and allocated metrics as well as cpu clocks etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
Since you've asked: commonly exposed settings sync in profiles between NvCPL, NvApp and NvProfileInspector. Meaning that changing such in one of them will be reflected in others next time you'll open them.

HOWEVER NvApp has a borked "add a program" option right now which doesn't allow you to remove the added program - and removing the profile created by NvApp with NvCP/NvProfileInspector doesn't help either as NvApp will re-add it on its next launch.
So don't use that for now.

ALSO NvApp has no option of showing all driver profiles present and only show games which it detected (in disk folders you specify in app's settings). So adding a custom profile in NvCP/NvProfileInspector and editing it later in NvApp doesn't work either.

It is a beta, yes.

Thanks for the feedback. I've asked our NVApp team to look into this.

:)

Soldato
I couldn't really care less about the UI, it's great that's been updated to look more modern but like all modern designed apps, lots of wasted space but like I have always said, I never needed to go in the CP to do tweaks or anything, same with radeon control panel (well except for when my settings would reset for whatever reason which was a pita)

Biggest things for me with these drivers is:

- DLDSR res being able to be applied without having to switch in windows before for the games that don't have a true exclusive fullscreen i.e. most dx 12 titles
- RTX HDR (way better than windows auto hdr and far less faff/issues than you would get with special k)
- in future, looks like dlss swapper/tweaks functionality will be in the nvidia app (so no need for dlss tweaks or dlss swapper)

Those are actual game changers now.

Clock controls will be nice but alas, I'll still be keeping msi ab and rt as it's performance monitoring is better unless nvidia add frame latency/pacing, vram dedicated and allocated metrics as well as cpu clocks etc.

I've only tried one game so far withg the new filters (immortals of aveum) and RTX Dynamic Vibrance in SDR and RTX HDR in HDR looks about the same to me. Maybe the RTX HDR is broken and not working but yeah it looks the same as RTX Vibrance

I do like RTX vibrance and also Sharpen+. After spend an hour playing with settings, I'm gonna play the game with RTX Vibrance on and the Sharpen+ filter on

My only other complaint is mouse input lag - the nvidia app when its open seems to introduce additional mouse input lag

Last edited:
Soldato
For gaming I mostly use custom ultrawide 21:9 resolutions on my big 16:9 4k HDR monitor e.g. 3840x1620. The only way to get this to work 100% and most importantly - work with HDR - is to set it up in the "desktop resizing" section of the "Adjust desktop size and position" section of the old control panel.

Given how most 'improvements' in technology these days very often make things worse - and they really do - I have serious doubts features like these will make it properly to the new "App". Do we think the old control panel and all it's great functionality will still be available in the future when this new Nvidia app becomes the norm i.e. forced upon us poor devils?

Last edited:
Associate
I've only tried one game so far withg the new filters (immortals of aveum) and RTX Dynamic Vibrance in SDR and RTX HDR in HDR looks about the same to me. Maybe the RTX HDR is broken and not working but yeah it looks the same as RTX Vibrance

I do like RTX vibrance and also Sharpen+. After spend an hour playing with settings, I'm gonna play the game with RTX Vibrance on and the Sharpen+ filter on

My only other complaint is mouse input lag - the nvidia app when its open seems to introduce additional mouse input lag

RTX Vibrance and HDR have nothing to do with eachother? did you apply the HDR filter and restart the game and then check to see if it's activated?

Soldato
RTX Vibrance and HDR have nothing to do with eachother? did you apply the HDR filter and restart the game and then check to see if it's activated?

Yeah i did restart. how do I tell if its active? the in game overlay lets me configure the hdr settings (not greyed out) so i assume its active but it looks the same as when i disable hdr in the nvidia app and just enable the vibrance

ill take some photos tommorow to show you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom