• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia App - the new replacement for the Legacy Nvidia Control Panel,Geforce Experience and RTX Experience

Soldato
RTX hdr has no performance loss for me, my framerate in all games tested continues to be locked to my screens refresh, guess the 4090 is too powerful to be bothered by such things

Soldato
RTX hdr has no performance loss for me, my framerate in all games tested continues to be locked to my screens refresh, guess the 4090 is too powerful to be bothered by such things
Strange, on my 4090 my FPS is reporting as pretty normal but feels more like 30 FPS.

Associate
It definitely has a performance hit, around 5% for me on 4090, in the few games I tested. Quite a few games do not reach 175FPS even on 4090 anymore.

Soldato
I'm also not looking forward to this. I'm afraid it'll end up like AMDs offering.
I don't need overclocking in my driver app, I've got separate things to do that. Same with temperature monitoring.

Just give me (at least the option of) a minimal install that just lets me set the sort of stuff we already have.

Like other I'm not looking forward to having ads and promo stuff in the app.

Caporegime
I'm also not looking forward to this. I'm afraid it'll end up like AMDs offering.
I don't need overclocking in my driver app, I've got separate things to do that. Same with temperature monitoring.

Just give me (at least the option of) a minimal install that just lets me set the sort of stuff we already have.

Like other I'm not looking forward to having ads and promo stuff in the app.

If nvidia/amd can provide something that does the job just as well or perhaps even better than 3rd party apps, I'm all for this. At the very least it will mean less apps installed to carry out tasks and sometimes, the driver provided version can be better than 3rd party apps e.g. nvidias frame rate limiter is better than rivatuners frame rate limiter (although shouldn't be using any frame rate cap now since reflex or low latency mode does this for you)

So far there is no ads. I do recall amds having banners/logos promoting their sponsored games and it will probably be the same for nvidia but so far neither are anything like browsing websites with ads all over them.

When the DLSS swapper and tweaks features comes to nvidia app, it will mean I can remove another 2 3rd party programs. Monitoring wise, until nvidia add frame pacing/latency and allocated + dedicated vram measurements etc. I'll still use RT and MSI AB for this.

Soldato
Would it be nice to have monitoring and overclocking in the app? Yes and no.
Having separate apps means I can keep it consistent regardless of AMD or Nvidia GPU and you don't have to worry about them having different features with the monitoring or overclocking option available.
Is it nicer to have 1 app installed instead of 3? Depends, how big is the one app and how many resources does it use compared to having 3 separate apps?

Caporegime
Would it be nice to have monitoring and overclocking in the app? Yes and no.
Having separate apps means I can keep it consistent regardless of AMD or Nvidia GPU and you don't have to worry about them having different features with the monitoring or overclocking option available.
Is it nicer to have 1 app installed instead of 3? Depends, how big is the one app and how many resources does it use compared to having 3 separate apps?

Well yes that is true especially on the perf. monitoring front.

Associate
RIP the old CP but will be nice to have something more modern after all these years. I hope they still keep a switch to classic mode as a fall back.

Soldato
Reddit user has worked out how RTX HDR settings work so if you want an accurate image you need to change the default settings

* When you enable RTX HDR, the saturation slider is set to 0. This is adding extra color saturation. If you want a color correct image, set the slider to -50. At minus 50 the colors are accurate.

* The default contrast slider is 0, this translates to a gamma of 2.0. Most people use 2.2 gamma, so change the slider to +25. This gamma curve is the reason why RTX HDR looks better than Windows AutoHDR, AuroHDR doesn't use a gamma curve and is why it raises the blacks.

* The mid grey slider controls the exposure of the image. This is similar to a HDR paper white setting that some games have and you calculate the correct value to use: the formula is: targetPaperWhiteNits * (0.5 ^ targetGamma), so if you usually enjoy gaming with a paper white of 200 nits and a 2.2 gamma then this mid grey slider should be set to 200 * (0.5 ^ 2.2) = 44, so I should set the Mid Grey slider to +44 and if I wanted 200 nits paper white and a 2.0 gamma then I should set the slider to +25 etc

For most people the about correct values to use would be: Mid grey = 44, Contrast = 25 and Saturation = minus 50

Associate
After moving back to Nvidia after several team red cards this is a step In the right direction.

Still a long way to go and surprised it's taken Nvidia this long

Man of Honour
Now that YT has fully processed the HDR,here's some HDR 120fps playback goodness. Note that YT takes literally days to process the HDR version, and almost a full day for 120fps to be processed. Select 60fps during playback to watch in 120fps.

It is rather amazing now that we have this way ot game capture, no more frame pacing jitter recording and then playing back at only 60fps when the game itself is running over 100fps.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Reddit user has worked out how RTX HDR settings work so if you want an accurate image you need to change the default settings

* When you enable RTX HDR, the saturation slider is set to 0. This is adding extra color saturation. If you want a color correct image, set the slider to -50. At minus 50 the colors are accurate.

* The default contrast slider is 0, this translates to a gamma of 2.0. Most people use 2.2 gamma, so change the slider to +25. This gamma curve is the reason why RTX HDR looks better than Windows AutoHDR, AuroHDR doesn't use a gamma curve and is why it raises the blacks.

* The mid grey slider controls the exposure of the image. This is similar to a HDR paper white setting that some games have and you calculate the correct value to use: the formula is: targetPaperWhiteNits * (0.5 ^ targetGamma), so if you usually enjoy gaming with a paper white of 200 nits and a 2.2 gamma then this mid grey slider should be set to 200 * (0.5 ^ 2.2) = 44, so I should set the Mid Grey slider to +44 and if I wanted 200 nits paper white and a 2.0 gamma then I should set the slider to +25 etc

For most people the about correct values to use would be: Mid grey = 44, Contrast = 25 and Saturation = minus 50

How your screen looks is down to personal preferences but its worth trying to properly calibrate your screen, i'm going to assume like 99% of us you don't have the tools but this website is a good substitute, it will also teach you what proper calibration means and its effects.

For example i like a nice bright punchy image and if a set my screen up to give me that look when i run those image tests i find that the gamma shift is way out and i'm losing tonnes of detail in the brighter region's as its completely blown out.

You're never going to get it 100% right without the proper calibration hardware but that site is a very good substitute.

Man of Honour
After the basic setup^ In HDR mode all you need to do is create a HDR calibration profile in Windows to get good quality HDR in HDR content as that profile tells the OS and apps what the display is capable of. Obviously the best HDR results are on OLED due to infinite contrast and significantly higher brightness areas.

In HDR mode on the monitor the HDR application handles the brightness and colours based on the HDR output parameters given by the game, so yeah RTX HDR tweaks ill yield differing results as it's simulating HDR using AI vs displaying native HDR as would normally be intended when done right by the game devs.

Back
Top Bottom