Poll: Official 2024 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/24

Rate the Aussie race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The latter option of Sainz to RBR would be interesting. Feels unlikely but as a driver from their youth program, it’s only fair to say he’s earned a shot.

If Horner isn't talking to Sainz and trying to tempt him into that seat I'll eat my hat, but I don't see Sainz wanting it. He was crushed by Max in his first season in F1, and going to be the B driver in that team doesn't seem like an enticing option. Sure, it'd keep him in one of the top teams - probably the only one available to him - but it'd mean being the whipping boy instead of the lead.

I wonder whether he looks at McLaren's improvement and thinks he made a serious mistake.

Caporegime
OStx0kS.jpg

Reactions: JRS
Caporegime
Unfortunate for Max, but very fortunate for the rest of us.

Pleased for Sainz. He likely wouldnt have won if Max didn't retire, but he did everything right to be there for that eventuality. Amazing also considering he just had a fairly significant bit of surgery two weeks ago.

Somehow Merc have gone backwards this year. Awful weekend for them. They look like only the 4th/5th fastest car now. Solidly midfield. The only entertaining thing from them was how hilariously the power went on Lewis' car on the onboard camera.

If Toto can't turn this around in 26, there has to be questions on whether he should be replaced..

Lol at the Sauber wheel nut guns..

Last edited:
Soldato
If Horner isn't talking to Sainz and trying to tempt him into that seat I'll eat my hat, but I don't see Sainz wanting it. He was crushed by Max in his first season in F1, and going to be the B driver in that team doesn't seem like an enticing option. Sure, it'd keep him in one of the top teams - probably the only one available to him - but it'd mean being the whipping boy instead of the lead.

I wonder whether he looks at McLaren's improvement and thinks he made a serious mistake.
I feel Sainz is much better than Perez but I’d rather he didn’t go back to Red Bull. Take the pain of driving the Merc tractor for a year and then Audi. :D

Still, Hamilton probably enjoyed watching this race seeing his team get a 1-2. Lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Wasn't massively more exciting despite Verstappen going out early to be honest; nice for Ferrari and in particular Sainz to get the win though after all he's been through so far this season!

Mercedes look horrendous; I can see why Hamilton wants out, he clearly has lost faith that they can turn it around for 2026; never mind Toto's job on the line, if they don't start at the front in 2026 I suspect the Mercedes Exec in Stuttgart might start looking at why they're funding a team that's mid-field.

Perez looks poor although personally I think its showing that Max is just a far better driver, getting more out of that car than Perez is able to.

One of these weekends I want to see McLaren on that top step!!

As for next season I'll be staggered if Sainz doesn't turn up at Audi/Sauber given its been rumoured for about two years but if not I think much will depend on Alonso - he would be a good replacement at Aston

Soldato
How ever great alonso is, too often he resorts to underhand driving when he doesn't need to.
My mate at work is a big fan of his, especially because he likes Hamilton as well. I don't really understand it to be honest. Alonso comes across on the very surface as a nice/funny guy, but like you say he resorts to extremely underhand and dubious tactics. He essentially brake-tested Russell and caused him to crash. But in a smart way, so it wasn't entirely obvious, but if you think about his processing as to why to do that, what did he think might happen? Maybe he thought Russell was better than just crashing off, but it's not for him to decide when pulling a stunt like that. There's lots of rules about minimum/maximum speeds... glad he got busted for it.

Associate
Can agree with the comments about the lack of excitement after Max retired.

I'm sure we all jumped in the air like England scoring in the Euros style when it happened, but then Carlos pulled a Max style gap and controlled from there.

All got pretty tame after the first round of stops.

Soldato
Sky sports playing Russell's crash with a trigger warning.

After seeing it again I can't believe they didn't red flag. stranded on your side in the middle of the track, another car hits him and he's gone.

Soldato
Can agree with the comments about the lack of excitement after Max retired.

I'm sure we all jumped in the air like England scoring in the Euros style when it happened, but then Carlos pulled a Max style gap and controlled from there.
Speak for yourself and I cannot ever remembering doing this for england either :D Very happy for Carlos though as some were suggesting he shouldn't have even been in the car.
Good for McLaren, almost looked like they'd messed up Lando's race at one stage but clearly he was the quicker driver so the swop with Oscar was the right thing to do. Weird one between Alonso and George...

Edit: just read that Alonso was apportioned the blame and git a 20 sec penalty...

Last edited:
Associate
Speak for yourself and I cannot ever remembering doing this for england either :D Very happy for Carlos though as some were suggesting he shouldn't have even been in the car.
Good for McLaren, almost looked like they'd messed up Lando's race at one stage but clearly he was the quicker driver so the swop with Oscar was the right thing to do. Weird one between Alonso and George...

I'd just seen this on twitter which may have had something to do with influencing my comments :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
After seeing it again I can't believe they didn't red flag. stranded on your side in the middle of the track, another car hits him and he's gone.

If driver's can't navigate that under VSC they're going too fast, and I'd assume every team got on the radio to their driver with specific instructions/warnings as well. I do wish the director had a direct feed to the drivers like in Formula E though.

Also, a red flag wouldn't have made much difference, the drivers still have to return to pits. I don't think F1 has a "stop on track" signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom