Poll: Official 2024 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/24

Rate the Aussie race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Sky sports playing Russell's crash with a trigger warning.

After seeing it again I can't believe they didn't red flag. stranded on your side in the middle of the track, another car hits him and he's gone.

Wasn't it the last lap though? How else would they have got back to the pits (other than stopping them all dead and getting the safety car to take them back the other way or something)

Soldato
Carlos Sainz:
‘Not bad for a #2 driver’

Also see Alonso got 20s penalty and 3 penalty points - he did then brake-test Russell

And what caused Verstappens retirement? Wasn’t clear on highlights

Max had massive brake failure on the rear - Disc exploded on his way into the pits

Commissario
kswq4LW.png

Man of Honour
OP
If driver's can't navigate that under VSC they're going too fast, and I'd assume every team got on the radio to their driver with specific instructions/warnings as well. I do wish the director had a direct feed to the drivers like in Formula E though.

Also, a red flag wouldn't have made much difference, the drivers still have to return to pits. I don't think F1 has a "stop on track" signal?

In the circumstance I think a VSC was the right call; slows them down immediately; as you say there's no "stop on track" signal in F1 although a VSC quickly followed by Red might have been best

Caporegime
Also see Alonso got 20s penalty and 3 penalty points - he did then brake-test Russell

Not sure brake-test is accurate, but he did drive that corner in a highly erratic and unusual fashion according to the Steward's report. Russell was caught out and lost control.

Oh, they've decided to up the penalties this year, so 10s is the norm and 20s (i.e. a drive through) is only one step up.

According to him after the race, the right rear brake was locked on and so it steadily heated up until it caught fire. If that's true I'm not sure why they didn't bring him in earlier, I'd have thought it would have shown on telemetry? I'd assumed it was a blocked cooling duct but that doesn't seem to be the case (Ocon did have that problem later in the race, but they cleared it).

Last edited:
Soldato
Carlos Sainz:
‘Not bad for a #2 driver’

Max said it was locked up pretty much from the lights going out. So it was just a matter of time before everything got too hot and gave up. I'm glad the break disk exploded on the way into the pits rather than driving past a pit crew though.. :eek:

Soldato
George genuinely terrified and rightly so.
It's hard for us to get the perspective as TV spectators because we can see the cars have all slowed etc. But yeah for him it must have been awful. Knowing he's in the middle of the track, not knowing how visible to others etc. I'm sure he knows the danger he was in if they were too slow to flag and people were coming at him full speed. Sheesh.

Nice of his mechanic to calm him down by announcing the cars as they come up to him, confirming they are slow. wonder if that's part of the training or just what he thought of doing because George was bricking it.

Associate
Max said it was locked up pretty much from the lights going out. So it was just a matter of time before everything got too hot and gave up. I'm glad the break disk exploded on the way into the pits rather than driving past a pit crew though.. :eek:
True, did seem like a near miss to me. As did the Russell situation but I agree that there wasn't a lot they could do to get cars past him. There was enough of a gap by the looks of it that they could manage the situation on vsc with an obvious crawl past.

Don
Not sure brake-test is accurate, but he did drive that corner in a highly erratic and unusual fashion according to the Steward's report. Russell was caught out and lost control.

Oh, they've decided to up the penalties this year, so 10s is the norm and 20s (i.e. a drive through) is only one step up.

Yep no brake test but considerably slower than any other lap.
Drive through (20 seconds) given as was deemed intentional.

Soldato
Yep no brake test but considerably slower than any other lap.
Drive through (20 seconds) given as was deemed intentional.

I’m quite surprised by that penalty.

Potentially dangerous driving is a drive though/20 sec penalty. But actual dangerous driving (F3) is a 3 place grid drop, the same as given for impeding in qualifying.

I suppose at this point the inconsistency shouldn’t come as a surprise these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom