*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Associate
On a different topic, I had my first go at using face tracking and was amazed at just how well it is working nowadays! I was always skeptical before, but my oh my... No wires, batteries, diodes, TrackIR etc. Just a simple webcam and you're done:eek::) Completely free too.
I've recorded a quick dogfight to share just how usable it is. It tracked nicely even in this one circle flow dogfight, where i was looking over the shoulder or straight up most of the time (the tiny jerky bits in the video are due to me resetting zoom, not the tracker's fault):
I’ve just come back to 2D flying after using VR for 18 months, and using an IR tracker… what I’m finding tricky is the awareness of which way the jet is pointing in a dogfight when I’m looking 5 o’clock high. It’s particularly tricky with the F16 due to its full glass canopy (lack of visual clues).
With VR it was obvious due to the 1 to 1 movement ratio.
Seems from your video that you don’t have any such issues. Are there any tips you have to help?

Permabanned
Having bought the F-15E last weekend I gave in to temptation and preordered an Orion 2 F-15EX. Good to see that they don't take the money up front, you're effectively just reserving it.

Will probably remove the handles from the Warthog throttle and use it as a button box, assuming it will still function in that state. Can never have too many buttons.
If you do it right it could do? Might be worth selling on the TM Warthog to buy a dedicated button box ... my Warthog throttle goes for sale soon, sold my Virpil CM3 throttle last week, love my WinWing Orion 2 Throttle and FA/18 grips so far.

I have a feeling Winwing are going to expand their range soon and produce more realistic and updated
button boxes, have two of their older ones that are now discontinued.

Soldato
I love the build quality of my VKB stick and rudders… and if the throttles have the same build quality about them, then I’ll finally upgrade my CH Pro throttle.
I’m too worried about the looks.
CH Throttle is what I am using atm, upgraded with a contactless sensor to remove the jitter (no soldering, took 10min) https://forum.dcs.world/topic/188571-tm-cougar-ch-magnetoresistive-hall-sensor-kits/
VKB throttle's built quality is undoubtedly good, but it's not just the looks that are the problem. It's lacking the side lever of a Warthog, Winwing (which has 2) or a VPC throttle - which means no proper nozzle control for the Harrier, for example. Second, e.g., winwing has dedicated AG AA buttons (with synced lighting), master arm, jettison, HMD, autopilot, flaps etc so configuring and switching planes is easy. VKB has buttons 1,2,3,4,5 etc. And then there are the toy looks and the inexcusably winwing-like price :)

I skipped winwing's hornet throttle as it had a massive ergonomic flaw, but will almost certainly get the F-15EX, just need to wait for the reviews.

using an IR tracker… what I’m finding tricky is the awareness of which way the jet is pointing in a dogfight when I’m looking 5 o’clock high.
Seems from your video that you don’t have any such issues. Are there any tips you have to help?
Practice to get muscle memory haha. Simply accept that VR's feel and precision just cannot be matched. Headtracking is floaty by nature and this leads to relatively (to VR) imprecise flying. Some of the very-very best dogfighters, like Ace (winner of multiple DCS, IL2, WT tournaments AND the only human who has defeated Falco AI in a dogfight

) use ...drum roll... a mouse (for looking, not flying) to negate this floatiness :D Of course, a mouse is also faster than a VR headset shoulder to shoulder.

But, 99% do use heatrackers and get used to them. Kapsu (also a DCS top gun winner) is constantly flicking to the forward view to better feel the plane, so could be something to try

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, I have to say, I'm happy with the CH Throttle other than the thumbstick needs a large deadzone.
I don't mind the "jitter" in the throttle itself, I've replaced the pot, although not a hall sensor it's much better than before. Also reduced the "sticktion" by sandpapering the pivot and applying a nice grease.
I've also built some button boxes for all the switches I need for the flaps, Harrier nozzles etc. So that side I'm not too worried about... it's mainly the overall build quality I need.
Maybe on reflection I should just be looking at some way to replace that thumbstick, and then I'll be in a happy DCS world.

Associate
Wow, I can't imagine using a mouse to look around.
I see what you mean about flicking forward regularly. I think this is the part I'm missing, as I'm always too scared that I'll lose sight of the bandit. Just need to practice I guess.
Thanks for all the tips - very much appreciated.

Soldato
I'm happy with the CH Throttle other than the thumbstick needs a large deadzone.
Same here. E.g., hats are a big part of DCS and I love the feel of CH hat switches - crisp, accurate with zero mush. Somebody compared them to VKB's hats here
Objectively, CH is the worst of the current main sim offerings overall - low 256bit resolution, small travel, no lever or buttons on the base... But it's good enough. If all I was flying was the F-16, I probably wouldn't be looking to switch. But I want a dual throttle and a Harrier lever :)

Last edited:
Associate
Same here. E.g., hats are a big part of DCS and I love the feel of CH hat switches - crisp, accurate with zero mush. Somebody compared them to VKB's hats here
Objectively, CH is the worst of the current main sim offerings - low 256bit resolution, small travel, no lever or buttons on the base... But it's good enough. If all I was flying was the F-16, I probably wouldn't be looking to switch. But I want dual a throttle and a Harrier lever :)

Vkb`s are also push buttons though, a bit of wiggle room helps prevent accidental activation when pushing the hat in.

Soldato
Vkb`s are also push buttons though, a bit of wiggle room helps prevent accidental activation when pushing the hat in.
You could be right. But the guy in the video said that VKB's hats were snug to begin with and got loose after a few weeks. Also, DCS planes only need one or two hats with push, no need for all hats to be mushy with push:)

Associate
You could be right. But the guy in the video said that VKB's hats were snug to begin with and got loose after a few weeks. Also, DCS planes only need one or two hats with push, no need for all hats to be mushy with push:)
Dont know about that, have every button mapped on my joystick throttle and separate button box and would still like more.

As for the vid its a non issue during game play, no one sits there wiggling hats.

Soldato
Dont know about that, have every button mapped on my joystick throttle and separate button box and would still like more.
I'm not like that, but good point. I would prefer firm action four ways at the cost of missing the extra button (if there is such a cost, see the above bit about VKB's initial snugness), but tastes differ, I understand.
As for the vid its a non issue during game play, no one sits there wiggling hats.
yes and no. Mushy hats lead to more misclicks, more misclicks lead to more mistakes. On the other hand, mushy hats are still good enough to fly well, certainly. Speaking of combat sim and racing sim *champions* there've been many who dominated with e.g. a Saitek Aviator and a Logitech DFGT. Mostly the problem of cheap/suboptimal hardware is in the feel, not its outright performance ceiling.

Last edited:
Associate
<media>
Objectively, CH is the worst of the current main sim offerings overall - low 256bit resolution, small travel, no lever or buttons on the base... But it's good enough. If all I was flying was the F-16, I probably wouldn't be looking to switch. But I want a dual throttle and a Harrier lever :)

I have never thought about the "mushy" feel to the hats on my VKB. I see what is meant by that, but I dont' see it as a negative. There is a definite click felt when the hat is pushed in the direction, and that is what is important to me.

I can understand wanting the dual throttle, I think that would be nice.

Associate
I'm itching to get some practice at "flicking forward", but unfortunately I'm currently working my way through a PC issue so can't test things. But I wonder is there a hotkey you can press to set a specific view while the key is pressed ?
This would make checking forward much easier. I used to use NeckSafer to quickly "Check six" in VR.

Soldato
I have owned 2 different VKB sticks and they all the hats have a slight movement its by design, VKB themselves stated this.

Last edited:
Associate
Having bought the F-15E last weekend I gave in to temptation and preordered an Orion 2 F-15EX. Good to see that they don't take the money up front, you're effectively just reserving it.

Will probably remove the handles from the Warthog throttle and use it as a button box, assuming it will still function in that state. Can never have too many buttons.

Winwing order paid and confirmed, now the real waiting starts.

Since posting the above I've also added a VPC Sharka-50 for a more authentic GA experience, very convenient that they belong on different sides of the rig.

Back
Top Bottom