Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Update: It turns out he hasn't ordered the doors that were supposedly placed before Christmas. They were supposed to arrive last Friday and be fitted this week as promised. Despite our continuous chasing, today we've been informed that it will be another 2-3 weeks before they arrive, according to him. We've reached our limit and made it clear that we won't accept any more delays. We informed him that the cost of the doors will simply be deducted from the final payment.

He seemed to agree, futher indicating that he hasn't ordered them as he would have issues canceling the order etc. However, he insisted that the replacement doors must be within a certain price range. We informed him that we've found a local supplier who can deliver and fit them within 7-10 days, and the price will be non-negotiable—it's simply deducted from the final payment, end of discussion.

Additionally, regarding the Juliet glass, it was supposedly suppose to be here last Friday as we have been chasing every day. However, today, a builder asked if he could enter our bedroom to take measurements. When I inquired about the purpose, he mentioned he needed to size up for the Juliet glass so it can be ordered. He requested that I keep it quiet as the Developer told him not to tell us, but he didn't want to enter the room without first asking for permission.

Soldato
What a pain, but fingers crossed you get the glass and it's installed. It's not vital to have in for safety right now though.

Probs best to get a front door from elsewhere. Get something nicer and fitted by a competent firm.

I highly recommend Spitfire doors, but they are not cheap like most of these plastic composite things. But they will last a lot longer a d won't warp like many of these plastic composites seem to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Additionally, regarding the Juliet glass
you didn't seem to have shown us outdoor picture - but you already have a steel frame of some kind to take glass

wrt to bathroom pics & sink waste - did the professional snaggers check out/sign off the plumbing and waste falls.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
you didn't seem to have shown us outdoor picture - but you already have a steel frame of some kind to take glass

wrt to bathroom pics & sink waste - did the professional snaggers check out/sign off the plumbing and waste falls.

Not sure i understand; the juilet balcony will be fixed into the brickwork. It's not a balcony we can stand on.

K6SPQQq.png

The snagger will still be carrying out his work when the developer say's he has finished.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a leak in the toilet so they have changed the pan fitting; this new flexi opposed to old solid soil pipe has allowed them to get it closer to the toilet not perfect but closer and they have built like a mini shelf so you can;t see when the toilet is fitted. After this it turns out the toilet is leaking and has a crack so it now needs to be replaced :x

T7QmKzw.png
That waste is interesting.... does that mean when the bath drains it'll smell of turd?

Soldato
Nightmare all round tbh, that includes the OP and the builder. It screams of being poorly specified, poorly managed and poorly communicated, unfortunately some of that is on the OP.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
That waste is interesting.... does that mean when the bath drains it'll smell of turd?

The toilet waste soil and pipe going is from the basin. Bath is other side of the room and on a separate connector.
Nightmare all round tbh, that includes the OP and the builder. It screams of being poorly specified, poorly managed and poorly communicated, unfortunately some of that is on the OP.
I agree (to a certain extent; in my defense, I'm not in the trade, and it's not like I'm involved in this type of process frequently. About 95% of the processes we've been through was entirely new to us.

Furthermore, regarding items being poorly specified, I'm not sure how much more specific we could have been. Our architect, who is an award winner, provided extensive specifications and made efforts to communicate with the developer throughout the process. When the developer refused to work with our architect, we tried bringing in a (QS), but unfortunately, that route also failed. Yes, the quote being more clear is 100% on me; but when i put forward a QS breakdown; at quote level he refused to review and wanted to go off his working knowledge and 30+ years in the trade.

We should have been wiser and had dates and works scheudle/time-frames built into the contract - that is on me! (we was promised a works scheudle verbally but that never materialized)

Last edited:
Soldato
The toilet waste soil and pipe going is from the basin. Bath is other side of the room and on a separate connector.

Just don't let the u-bend of the sink run dry (if Bob The Bodger even fitted one) or you will get sewer smells through the sink plughole as dlockers mentions. I'd give that system thorough test to make sure it doesn't gargle back.

You really need to gather up all the evidence of unprofessionalism, lost money, poor workmanship, delays, anguish and lost hair follicles and let it be known that under no ******* circumstances will you be giving a reference to anybody. Would you really want somebody else to go through all what you have?

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Just don't let the u-bend of the sink run dry (if Bob The Bodger even fitted one) or you will get sewer smells through the sink plughole as dlockers mentions. I'd give that system thorough test to make sure it doesn't gargle back.

You really need to gather up all the evidence of unprofessionalism, lost money, poor workmanship, delays, anguish and lost hair follicles and let it be known that under no ******* circumstances will you be giving a reference to anybody. Would you really want somebody else to go through all what you have?

We are taking further action to ensure that no one else has to endure such an ordeal. Sadly, we've discovered several clients experiencing even worse situations—projects dragging on for three years without essentials like kitchens, front doors, or even running water.

Regarding the plumbing issue, I believe I'll need to hire a plumber to come and inspect the work. Last night, after officially moving in, we ran the kitchen sink only to find the entire unit flooded. It turns out they didn't connect the overflow pipe properly; it was just loosely shoved at the back without a seal. The pressure of the water pushed it out, resulting in a complete soaking of everything.

bHrKTbL.png

We ordered our front doors yesterday, opting for two composite doors. However, we quickly discovered that it's nearly impossible to order the size of door we need for our side entry in composite material, as it's under 2 meters. As a result, we had to settle for a fully glazed uPVC door, similar to the full-height front window. What we find amusing is how he claimed to have ordered this door when it's not really feasible. This further confirms our suspicions that he hasn't even placed the order.

Soldato
Make sure you have an inline self sealing waste trap on the pipe running from your sink, otherwise you will get fumes from your soil stack. We ended up after a few years of our new bathroom getting the nasty smells in there all the time, turns out the shallow trap was just getting evaporated and letting fumes through. Replaced with an inline self sealing / valved waste trap and problem solved.

Soldato
not sure if anti-syphon traps create subsequent cleaning problems in their own rights
- was looking at getting one for kitchen where washing machine feeds in, but I think I really need to fix waste pipe routing

Associate

He's already given a reference to the builders next potential client - by means of letting them into the house to 'have a look around' - basically endorsing the builder.

Couldn't make it up.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
He's already given a reference to the builders next potential client - by means of letting them into the house to 'have a look around' - basically endorsing the builder.

Couldn't make it up.

9 posts and all largely negative . Not that this justifies a response.

If you actually read my post I invited them in and told them my opinion's with factual evidence and photos. Because they got invited in; does not mean I was endorsing him in any way shape or form.

They can choose to ignore my advice; that’s on them but not sure what else I could have done. If I had been given this information; I certainly would not have made the choice to proceed.

Last edited:
Associate
Kai

You have had major issues with
1) The quality of the work carried out

2) The behaviour of the developer;

*personal safety, threats of violence, verbal abuse

*his integrity ; untrustworthy, dishonest, manipulative, unwillingness to work with architect, quantitative surveyor...etc etc

You allowed a prospective new client of the developer into your home to look around as a 'shoecase'. Allowing a stranger into your home signifies that there must be trust, willingness, a mutual relationship between you and the developer.

The fact that you failed to verbally warn or mention the catalogue of problems you have had with the developer to the prospective client, whilst in your own home further compounds the notion that you endorse the developer.

Any decent person would have refused to showcase your home.in these circumstances, and if they had been manipulated to do so - at least have the humam decency to warm them of the nightmare you have experienced.

It doesn't take a degree in psychology and human behaviour to see the above...

Say the developer has already started work at the prospective couples house - and their nightmare has begun...

You bump into them 8 months down the line - they ask why the hell you showed them around your home, why you didn't tell them of the nightmare experience you had.

I'm sure they would be pretty ****** and sickened at you.

Surely I can't be the only one here absolutely flabbergasted that KAI has a massive thread about a shoddy workman, and then assists in lining up his next victim.

This is the epitome of WOKE and why our country is doomed.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Any decent person would have refused to showcase your home.in these circumstances, and if they had been manipulated to do so - at least have the humam decency to warm them of the nightmare you have experienced.

I am not going to go into detail here. I'll repeat my statement "... and told them my opinion's with factual evidence and photos"

Last edited:
Associate
I thought i made it pretty clear i had done this. I'll repeat my statement "... and told them my opinion's with factual evidence and photos" What more can i do; draw them a picture?
What could you have done?

Refused to show them around your house.

Explicitly told them to stay well clear of the builder and outlined his behaviour and the shoddy work...

That's what.

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom