Quest 3 accessories thread

Soldato
Which one? I'm still looking for best option - so many out there it's a saturated market!

Unfortunately there isn't a best option for everyone , but there's a best option for you, depending what games you play. Even the cheapest aliexpress elite style strap could be the best for you.
If comfort is important then a halo strap. And if you want to play for a long time you need to consider battery options.

Soldato
Unfortunately there isn't a best option for everyone , but there's a best option for you, depending what games you play. Even the cheapest aliexpress elite style strap could be the best for you.
If comfort is important then a halo strap. And if you want to play for a long time you need to consider battery options.

Going by what Jay Bratt said about the S3, it seems it can be both halo and elite style. He said in his review he can get it much closer to hug his face than the M3 and there isn't the wobble or much of it that the M3 has. I've messaged him to ask him more on that. If that's the case, you can have your cake and eat it with the S3 and I'll be tempted to swap from my M3 to the S3.

Soldato
Going by what Jay Bratt said about the S3, it seems it can be both halo and elite style. He said in his review he can get it much closer to hug his face than the M3 and there isn't the wobble or much of it that the M3 has. I've messaged him to ask him more on that. If that's the case, you can have your cake and eat it with the S3 and I'll be tempted to swap from my M3 to the S3.

I had no trouble converting my M3 into an elite style strap. Just slide the headset rearwards in the straps side rails and remove the forehead pad.

Soldato
I had no trouble converting my M3 into an elite style strap. Just slide the headset rearwards in the straps side rails and remove the forehead pad.

My M3 side rails have always been pushed as far along the Quest 3 brackets as possible. I'll see if they'll go any further, but I don't think they will. I've always left the little velcro strap unattached. When you say remove the forehead pad, do you mean this one?

Screenshot-20240202-125650-Opera.jpg

Soldato
My M3 side rails have always been pushed as far along the Quest 3 brackets as possible. I'll see if they'll go any further, but I don't think they will. I've always left the little velcro strap unattached. When you say remove the forehead pad, do you mean this one?

Screenshot-20240202-125650-Opera.jpg
Yes, the velcro pad attaced to the arrowed band.

Soldato
Hmm, I've always left that velcro strip unthreaded through the slot it's meant to go in but I still get sideways wobble. I'll play around with it though.

The velcro strip locks the forehead band to the headset. If you loosen the velcro strip off it will allow you to move the headset rearwards in the strap runners. Then remove the cushioned pad behind the forehead band, which then leaves all the pressure on the headset facial interface like an elite strap.

Soldato
The velcro strip locks the forehead band to the headset. If you loosen the velcro strip off it will allow you to move the headset rearwards in the strap runners. Then remove the cushioned pad behind the forehead band, which then leaves all the pressure on the headset facial interface like an elite strap.

Ah right, unvelcro the cushioned pad, I'll give that a go.

Soldato
Ah right, unvelcro the cushioned pad, I'll give that a go.

You have three main options with a halo strap.

1. Go full halo, with just the halo strap touching your head and the HMD floating in front of your eyes, quest pro stylie. You can even remove the interface to get it closer to your eyes.
2. Halo/elite mix, where the both the halo strap and facial interface are touching your head. You can get a large range of adjustment of pressure shared by the interface and halo strap. For me, the sweet spot is 50/50. I have the interface and halo set to the same distance from my head, so the pressure is shared equally which reduces it for a given area.
3. Full elite style, where the HMD is fully rearward in the halo strap side rails, the forehead cushion is removed, and only the facial interface is touching your head.
You could even extend the depth of the facial interface if your head is shaped like megamind.

Soldato
Bobo M3 foam tape temple mod to add further stability and comfort. 15mm x 25mm x 60mm of soft foam rubber placed on the inside of the headstrap adjustable arms.

53514050937_1d7fe62d0a_b.jpg

53514934611_0f5ec8ac8a_b.jpg

Associate
Just don’t see why you wouldn’t want to spend £13 more and get a 5200mah battery with the BoboVR.

To be honest it probably would. At the time of buying the built in battery was a long enough session for me, but I was probably still relating to the Q2. I do find the Q3 lenses more comfortable for longer sessions now that my IPD is correct.

I mind reading about external batteries draining the system whilst off or something. Is this still the case?

Soldato
Design wise they’re much of a muchness - both are based around the halo strap design. As far as I know, BoboVR are considered a market leader and use good quality materials and build processes. But I also don’t think the battery should be discounted - I’ve never played for more than the head units battery allows, but I’ve had the odd time where the battery has died moments before finishing a level, which is infuriating!

@ninjag I don’t know enough, but I suspect this is the case. To charge the battery, I disconnect the black cable between battery and headset (so that headset is receiving no power), remove the battery from the strap, and place the battery on charge.

Associate
I agree that it's probably better to have the extra battery power available and not need it, than need it but not have it available especially if it's only a for extra quid. In hindsight, there have been a few times where an extra 10 mins is all I needed to finish off some zombies and get back to the save point.

Associate
Design wise they’re much of a muchness - both are based around the halo strap design. As far as I know, BoboVR are considered a market leader and use good quality materials and build processes. But I also don’t think the battery should be discounted - I’ve never played for more than the head units battery allows, but I’ve had the odd time where the battery has died moments before finishing a level, which is infuriating!

@ninjag I don’t know enough, but I suspect this is the case. To charge the battery, I disconnect the black cable between battery and headset (so that headset is receiving no power), remove the battery from the strap, and place the battery on charge.

Sounds straightforward enough cheers, I might look at getting the BoboVR and give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom