Quest 3 owners etc

Soldato
Last night I left my headset charging and turned on. When I came to fire it up this evening there was a message in the menus stating that I needed to log into the mobile app or website www.meta.com/devices and input a code displayed in the headset. Now I've got a FirstTimeNux icon in the menu which wants to teach me how to use the hand controllers.....
I must be a noob
51084904172_3312f5174a_o.gif

Soldato
OP
Last night I left my headset charging and turned on. When I came to fire it up this evening there was a message in the menus stating that I needed to log into the mobile app or website www.meta.com/devices and input a code displayed in the headset. Now I've got a FirstTimeNux icon in the menu which wants to teach me how to use the hand controllers.....
I must be a noob
51084904172_3312f5174a_o.gif

I believe it's from the meta/facebook and a ton of other services crashing. Basically a lot of people have needed to log back in. I've not fired mine up since, so don;t know if I'll need to or not.

Associate
Yeh there was an outage of Meta services, effected everyone afaik, I had to pair device again. Not good that our Q3's are useless during these times, tbf I hardly noticed any disuption.

Soldato
Yeah, I saw this yesterday and thought it may have something to do with it.

Associate
Yes same thing happened to me, code came up on headset, couldn't read the code because I have the fonts set to largest because of my eyesight, and the code was cut off at top.

So thought only option was to reset headset to be able to read the code, after reset I paired with mobile app on phone only to discover that the code is automatically imported into app.

Thank you Meta for all the hassle involved, I thought these Quest headsets could be used offline but it seems not, once Meta think that you are somehow not connected to a Meta account, they automatically put up that code pairing code screen, and there is no escape out of it.

What a lot of hassle.

Last edited:
Associate
What a fantastic piece of kit the Quest 3 is. I know with Meta it can be love or hate, but credit where credit is due, what a great vr headset especially for the price. I was using it earlier today and it just struck me how great the visuals were, I thought back to using the Oculus Rift DK2 in 2014 and how far we've come. And iirc the DK2 wasn't much cheaper back then.

Soldato
Meta have acknowledged that their headsets should not have been forcibly logged out due to this server issue, and they've promised to make their systems more robust to stop this.

Soldato
Anyone on here use their Q3 with DCS?

I'm getting the itch for a new toy, and despite me only getting a few hours of flight time in a week I'm thinking the Quest could be a good addition as well as scratching the itch..
Mate of mines got one of the older Quests which I might borrow off of him but not sure how an older one will compare to the Q3...

Soldato

I'm getting the itch for a new toy, and despite me only getting a few hours of flight time in a week I'm thinking the Quest could be a good addition as well as scratching the itch..
Mate of mines got one of the older Quests which I might borrow off of him but not sure how an older one will compare to the Q3...

It's a great headset for DCS. You'll need a decent GPU to run it at full res though.

DCS supports Quad Views which means eye tracking supported headsets like the Pimax Crystal or the Quest Pro can run the game with a performance boost.

Soldato

120hz and better battery life on air link

Associate
I'm a little out of the loop with VR now. I've got a Vive sitting in the lounge collecting dust for the last two years at least. How does this compare for comfort and clarity?
My brother picked one up around Christmas and I had a peek through for a couple of minutes, but not used it for any length of time and really just started at a menu and tried the pass through which was neat but not a feature I care about.
Wireless really appeals to me for ease of use too. That cable on the Vive is a pain.

Associate

If you enjoy the older Quest, it will be a given that the Quest 3 will be much better. I rapidly went from an old Rift S to a Quest 2 then Quest 3, the 3 is an amazing piece of kit.

Soldato

It's great, I've flown DCS with a Quest 2 and the OG Rift and the Q3 is by far better.

Back
Top Bottom