Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Man of Honour
What charger are you using? A PC USB port will only supply about 5v 1A, max 2.4A~ which will equate to about several hours to even charge close to 100%

How long did it take before this to charge off the Dell charger and is the Dell charger actually a fast charger that is PPS compliant? The phone should show Super Fast Charging (with or without 2.0) on the lockscreen when fast charging. You may need to check in battery settings if fast charging modes are actually turned on too.

Few more from holibobs. This phone is an absolutely excellent travel camera, but I will say that the battery can go from 94% leaving the hotel to around 20-30% by 4PM. This was with roaming enabled on 4G/5G where available, which was most places really and EE's roaming speeds were in excess of 100Mbps so solid speeds over there. It's the camera that drains the battery massively, I was also recording videos at 4k60, and all of these photos below were shot in normal photo mode at 12MP. The screen brightness was left on adaptive and in this sort of daylight the brightness was at max adaptive basically at all times. All of these contribute to battery drain faster than normal, although I do not recall the S23 Ultra draining this fast, but then again the camera wasn't as advanced, nor was the screen as bright.

A power bank is essential for full days out when travelling.

The photos below that show focus blur are genuine lens blur results. The jeep ones were taken using the 5x optical lens which gives some nice composition opportunities, and the 50MP sensor is very well detailed. Take for example the shot of the two nuns walking, everything is well detailed with no obvious tells that it was taken on a smartphone, even the background areas of the town (Paderne) are nicely detailed and you could be forgiven for thinking it was taken with a dedicated camera. Here's the 100% view of that shot so you can zoom in.

i4HlhZs.jpeg
nvb4H08.jpeg
n4pR1yU.jpeg
fKYwYwJ.jpeg
AUb2Ai6.jpeg
WCmBuGE.jpeg
1iVPbze.jpeg
IRkwEsr.jpeg
wzq2Dpb.jpeg
SICnihw.jpeg
IxGKihq.jpeg
XWPXIw6.jpeg
GSw4k3X.jpeg
snOZQpK.jpeg
MXU5H5P.jpeg
OWa8jMh.jpeg

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
What charger are you using? A PC USB port will only supply about 5v 1A, max 2.4A~ which will equate to about several hours to even charge close to 100%

How long did it take before this to charge off the Dell charger and is the Dell charger actually a fast charger that is PPS compliant? The phone should show Super Fast Charging (with or without 2.0) on the lockscreen when fast charging. You may need to check in battery settings if fast charging modes are actually turned on too.

Few more from holibobs. This phone is an absolutely excellent travel camera, but I will say that the battery can go from 94% leaving the hotel to around 20-30% by 4PM. This was with roaming enabled on 4G/5G where available, which was most places really and EE's roaming speeds were in excess of 100Mbps so solid speeds over there. It's the camera that drains the battery massively, I was also recording videos at 4k60, and all of these photos below were shot in normal photo mode at 12MP. The screen brightness was left on adaptive and in this sort of daylight the brightness was at max adaptive basically at all times. All of these contribute to battery drain faster than normal, although I do not recall the S23 Ultra draining this fast, but then again the camera wasn't as advanced, nor was the screen as bright.

A power bank is essential for full days out when travelling.

The photos below that show focus blur are genuine lens blur results. The jeep ones were taken using the 5x optical lens which gives some nice composition opportunities, and the 50MP sensor is very well detailed. Take for example the shot of the two nuns walking, everything is well detailed with no obvious tells that it was taken on a smartphone, even the background areas of the town (Paderne) are nicely detailed and you could be forgiven for thinking it was taken with a dedicated camera. Here's the 100% view of that shot so you can zoom in.

i4HlhZs.jpeg
nvb4H08.jpeg
n4pR1yU.jpeg
fKYwYwJ.jpeg
AUb2Ai6.jpeg
WCmBuGE.jpeg
1iVPbze.jpeg
IRkwEsr.jpeg
wzq2Dpb.jpeg
SICnihw.jpeg
IxGKihq.jpeg
XWPXIw6.jpeg
GSw4k3X.jpeg
snOZQpK.jpeg
MXU5H5P.jpeg
OWa8jMh.jpeg

Wow, incredible photos, some of the best I’ve seen

Soldato
Just got my S24 Ultra... have the screen issues been fixed? My S23U screen seems way way brighter than the S24? S24 on the right. Brightness slider doesn't seem to do anything past 50%

Whats-App-Image-2024-03-13-at-19-30-35-2fa15d0f.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I believe that the extra brightness is automated now and only usable when it the sensor actually detects the need for it whereas before you could just whack it up manually indoors which is a bit poitnless and waste of battery^^

Zoom levels of magic:

Soldato
Just got my S24 Ultra... have the screen issues been fixed? My S23U screen seems way way brighter than the S24? S24 on the right. Brightness slider doesn't seem to do anything past 50%

Is this after a recent update?

If so that's lame. I often boost my screen brightness when I feel the need and I'd be miffed if it was capped after a software update. I paid for a bright screen after all.

Pixel let's me boost to 950 nits in manual. S24 is capped at 750.

And HBM is 1600 vs 1447nits .

Last edited:

W50

W50

Associate
Is this after a recent update?

If so that's lame. I often boost my screen brightness when I feel the need and I'd be miffed if it was capped after a software update. I paid for a bright screen after all.

Pixel let's me boost to 950 nits in manual. S24 is capped at 750.

And HBM is 1600 vs 1447nits .
It definitely isn't capped, as I have just tested it and the brightness definitely increases after the 50% mark. It's more than bright enough.

W50

W50

Associate

Are you definitely sure it isn't increasing in brightness beyond 50%? Maybe the S24u is handling the extra brightness better than the S23u did!? Rather than washing out the dark areas.

Increasing my brightness (in dark mode, like you have) it definitely ramps up the white areas and increases over 50%.

Maybe someone else can check and post their thoughts to verify.

Soldato
Just had a call from EE - they are waving early upgrade fees or some BS (basically to get you to sign up now because they jack the price up 7% on March 31st).

I can get an Ultra for £80/mo with £30 down IIRC, and a S24+ for like £70/mo. They'll both go up 7% in 15 days.

They also have a £12/mo rebate if I trade in my pretty battered S22+, which I guess is only worth ~£180 best case through trade-in sites.

What are folks thoughts? S22+ is easy size for me. Is the Ultra worth the dollar? I like the non-reflective screen or w/e.

I charge in 80% of my bill to my company so the price is a bit irrelevant.

Soldato
Just had a call from EE - they are waving early upgrade fees or some BS (basically to get you to sign up now because they jack the price up 7% on March 31st).

I can get an Ultra for £80/mo with £30 down IIRC, and a S24+ for like £70/mo. They'll both go up 7% in 15 days.

They also have a £12/mo rebate if I trade in my pretty battered S22+, which I guess is only worth ~£180 best case through trade-in sites.

What are folks thoughts? S22+ is easy size for me. Is the Ultra worth the dollar? I like the non-reflective screen or w/e.

I charge in 80% of my bill to my company so the price is a bit irrelevant.
I renewed this month. The next 12m will not be subject to the inflation.

Associate
People I've got a few stickers saved on whatsapp and can see them on my Samsung keyboard but only when on whatsapp
I cant use or send through any other ways

Any help plz??

Soldato
Just come back from South Korea and the S24U camera completely blew me away, my RX100 VII was barely touched.

The zoom is unreal too, I had atleast a dozen people ask me when at viewpoints what phone I was using as they watched me zoom into the cityscape.

I got some 200mp pics of the city too, anyone recommend a place I can upload them full res? Will share pics on here shortly.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah it literally says on my offer it'll go up at the end of the month.
Thats weird. The cut off with EE is definitely the 1st of March for in contract price rises. Found that out the hard way a number of years back, lesson learned.

I also renewed with EE earlier this month and was specifically told the price wouldn't rise till next year (when the contract ends, as it's a 12M contract).

This year I just bought the phone separate instead of going through EE's phone & plan contracts. They used to give a bit of a discount if you bought the phone on contract compared to what you could buy the phone outright for, but that's been long gone in my experience, I only barely justified it last time. Instead it seems way more expensive. I was close to actually leaving EE in general really, as their prices are ridiculous, but after requesting my PAC they gave me a call and offered a better sim only deal(albeit with a 100mb speed cap - but I can't get more than that around where I live anyway).

Sadly I can't really help with your comparison to the S22+ because I upgraded from the S22U. What I can say is I'm glad to be off exynos 2200, so I'd probably recommend the S24U over the + for that reason alone lol. For me it wasn't even just the battery woes which usually get cited. It was also that some games just wouldn't run as well as I would have thought. I just don't think they were optimised as well as they are for snapdragon. It's why I think benchmarks are often misleading, they don't really always give you a great indication of everything.

Soldato
Interested to know if mine will go up. I used anytime upgrade to get the S24U

Was on a £94/mo unlimited everything S23U 24 month, which I had a 20% perk discount (got that a few years ago (2 or 3 contracts ago?), and keep managing to persuade the upgrade guy to transfer it to my new contract!) so was actually paying £77/mo. Have somehow managed to get the S24U 24 month unlimited everything for £88/mo (not sure how as they say the anytime upgrade only works if you take the same price or higher contract out), with the 20% discount, so actually works out to more like £71/mo. Renewed on 11th March - so if it doesn't go up then thats a bloody good win!!

They've also said if I don't trade my S23U in they will add £500 to my next bill... reckon i can get more for it than that secondhand so might just hang on to it...

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom