Poll: *** The official 2022 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M2 chip, MagSafe and everything!) ***

What 2022 M2 notebook will you get?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
This may have happened today ;)
What was the reason ?
Did you find the M1 was not fast enough ? or was there something the new M2 MBA had wich you wanted which the M1 MBA didn't ?

Edit: Just looked on apple website and it looks like the M2 MBA has the new Liquid Retina display

Last edited:
Soldato
M2 sales have been very poor, down 20% compared to this time last year.

I wonder if this is because M1 sales were so damn good and for the majority of people M2 just isn't that big of an upgrade, especially after the silly price increase.

M1 base would suit the majority of normal end users and would suit them for many years to come, people just aren't buying new equipment as often as they do (or at least that's what I think as I have no actual stats)

Soldato
Yup, this is probably one of those ‘let’s jack up the prices while people are going covid mad over tech’ and then covid finished and people stopped buying PCs.

Associate
Yup, this is probably one of those ‘let’s jack up the prices while people are going covid mad over tech’ and then covid finished and people stopped buying PCs.

Exactly this, there was a demand for laptops and PC's during covid, but its come back down to regular levels now. Laptops aren't something that need to be upgraded year on year, most people tend to keep them as long as possible

I wonder if this is because M1 sales were so damn good and for the majority of people M2 just isn't that big of an upgrade, especially after the silly price increase.

M1 base would suit the majority of normal end users and would suit them for many years to come, people just aren't buying new equipment as often as they do (or at least that's what I think as I have no actual stats)
Price increase mixed with lower demand in general. Laptops aren't something that people upgrade often, most people tend to buy one and then use it for years.
Also doesnt help that the M2 was an incremental upgrade, that if people were looking to upgrade its better to just wait for the M3 - which is what I will probably do

Soldato
M3? Probably more like M5-7 in my case.

Mrs Sk8 is still using an Intel MacBook Air she had had for for about 8 years and there is still no reason to upgrade it.

Soldato
What's the thinking behind that then? i.e. why aren't you going for another MBP?

No actual need for a Pro, browser work, writing code and media consumption is the majority of my work with the odd docker stuff going on. The 16" is simply too big for me, I like the design of the new MBA M2. The portability too. I have a 14" work pro which can be used for any heavy lifting I need, and I have a gaming rig which is seldom used these days too. Not sure I'm going to go ahead as of yet, I am probably going to wait for WWDC before I make a decision.

Caporegime
Just a quickie - is there any way of adding 2.5G LAN capability (2.5Gbits ethernet connection) to an Apple Macbook? It's not something I can do currently but am curious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom