Three body Problem (2024)

Caporegime
I started ep1 of netflix and it seems like the show skips a massive chunk of the first book, or the order is just completely wrong
How did Samwell Tarly get cast in this? he;s playing the same character as in game of thrones, or just can't act....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wow in episode 3 they really butchered part of the book.

The human computer is a scene that lasts about 3 minutes and they totally gloss over it, just a bunch of guys flipping flags now.
In the book it was like a huge epic moment where they intricately explain how it all works etc with people being different parts of a motherboard and each groups part is explained.
I think some of them had 3 or 4 flags as well the more trained soldiers and are used for the more vital parts of the circuit.
the books way more geeky and thought provoking

They skip the failed proton unfolding's too, and no doubt lads of other cool bits I forget

it's like a TLDR of the book/tencent series

Last edited:
Soldato
Enjoying it but never read the books. At Ep 5 at the moment.

Mind you I never approach series in the same way as books. Take Foundation. Loved the books and also love the series. Yeah they're not the same but changes have to be made to adapt for screen. Having read the books helps, sure, but they're different entities.

But, yeah, enjoying it.

E: Although saying that I can understand if it's drastically different to the books so that they have no resemblance to them whatsoever. Having not read them I don't know.

Last edited:
Caporegime
apart from the characters it's not that different, but it's dumbed down and not as nerdy, doesn't really have the impact of the book either.
it's like a theme park ride skipping between attractions

The tencent version season one is something like 23 hours long so shows how much netflix cut down

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Wow in episode 3 they really butchered part of the book.

The human computer is a scene that lasts about 3 minutes and they totally gloss over it, just a bunch of guys flipping flags now.
In the book it was like a huge epic moment where they intricately explain how it all works etc,

They skip the failed proton unfolding's too, and no doubt lads of other cool bits I forget

it's like a TLDR of the book/tencent series
The way they did it in Tencent was cool

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Gonna try watch some this weekend.

I was gonna relisten to the audiobooks but that first one is such a slog. At least ill listen to Quinn's YouTube resummerising them all again.

Soldato
Never read the book, did try to watch the Tencent version but got bored after episode 10, found it too slow.

Loving the Netflix version, watched 4 episodes back to back. There was an Interesting reverse product placement about Vodafone in ep3 that I never encountered before in a show.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I watched it all and would give it about a 7.

If I remember the books correctly the series ends a few chapters into book 2.

I think the pacing is too fast though it skips some important scenes and doesn't really have the tension, suspense or impending doom.

the sophons impacting science seems to have almost 0 viewer impact in the netflix series etc
loads of people on reddit seem upset theres no pong scene

the 3rd book is crap so hopefully the netflix series has a better ending

I don't like them being called the santi instead of the trisolarans either.

I know its the chinese word but just sounds off to me

also Luo Ji is probably everyones favourite character in the books? but it's not a character in the show....

Last edited:
Soldato
Started watching and up to ep4, its alright, never heard of it before seeing it on Netflix.

There was an Interesting reverse product placement about Vodafone in ep3 that I never encountered before in a show.

Yeah that jumped out at me too, surprised they got away with that.

Caporegime
Watched the 1st episode after only seeing the 2 trailers. Came for the sci-fi. Stayed for the wtf is happening and Eliza Gonzalez :D

Feels really British so far, which I didn't realise, although I know nothing about the book anyway. Great cast.

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah the 3rd book is just a science in weirdness if I remember and silly....
Some of it were cool like the escape from Earth and the other ships realising one has the possibility to escape, but the stupid folding space into less dimensions was just silly and seemed like a children's book ending.

The book is more like horror though and the tv show just comes across as all light hearted and magical.

I prefer t he book characters to the show as well... not having Lou Ji is unforgivable

Last edited:
Caporegime
4 episodes in now and I really like it. Sadly, due to the scope of the story so far and only 4 remaining episodes, I suspect there are gonna be loads of questions unanswered left at the end...

rp2000

Soldato
I am absolutely loving at so far but only 2 episodes in. So far they are doing a fairly decent idea of presenting the concepts in the books slowly.

I however am biased as I know a lot about the story already.

Back
Top Bottom