Three body Problem (2024)

Associate
I blasted through this the other day. I am a big fan of the books, the first two anyway, not got around to the third one yet.

It was a much better adaptation than I was expecting. The pacing of the last few episodes let it down a little for me, but as a whole, loved it.

I'll give it a solid 8/10 and looking forward to (hoping for) the next couple of seasons.

Might give the Tencent version a go.

Soldato
I ABSOLUTELY binged the entire season since last night.

I loved it, they really do a good job of setting the stage. I don't think people understand how insanely difficult it is to adapt these books, the fact they even got it remotely this good is an achievement.

Soldato
Having not read the book, I survived a few episodes before my eyes glazed over and I stopped watching.
Same. First 4 episodes I was hooked. Then it turned to crap and 4 episode I probably spent half playing on my phone...
Got to ep8 thinking maybe this will have a nice cliff hanger ending to answer some question in the next 2 episodes and it ended on 8 not 10...

Ended on an episode where a character I barely knew, got a really important job for no reason that I didn't understand.

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't understand the swearing as it doesn't provide context. That being said, is there a lot of swearing in the books?
not that I remeber the woman swearing about time I don't think ever happened.

seemed to be more to show who that character was since the show misses so much stuff
I loved it, they really do a good job of setting the stage. I don't think people understand how insanely difficult it is to adapt these books, the fact they even got it remotely this good is an achievement.
Tencent adapted the whole first book for like the same cost as a single netflix episode and the tencent version is like 24hours long

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Binged from 3-8 tonight. It peaked at 5 with those fibre wires and the sophon reveal.

Last 3 were very slow and didn’t leave me wanting more by the end.

Credit to them for making me care about the cancer guy on more than one occasion. It felt like he was just cancer guy with no other depth until nearer the end.

Soldato
Here we go again... lol Now with Western Netflix money...

I recognise a lot of the scenes but there's the "Katana Lady" at the end and she shouldn't be in it yet, so thats interesting :p

WTF is this? Looks like something Hideo Miyazaki would make, so I'm probably not the target audience

Man of Honour
Finished all 8 eps yesterday and yeah, compared to the Chinese version with 30 eps, they massively condensed it down and left a lot to be answered I felt, I'm only on episode 5 of the Chinese series too but it feels like a lot more will be explained and shown in the 2023 series than the Netflix one, like as if Netflix tried their hardest to make it more approachable to the layman than people who have at least a passing knowledge or interest in physics and cosmology.

I liked the Netflix one. but I think I'll be getting more out of the Chinese one.

Caporegime
Binged from 3-8 tonight. It peaked at 5 with those fibre wires and the sophon reveal.

Last 3 were very slow and didn’t leave me wanting more by the end.

Credit to them for making me care about the cancer guy on more than one occasion. It felt like he was just cancer guy with no other depth until nearer the end.
More or less my experience. First 5 are really good. Last 3 get a bit wtf and slow.

Overall probably a 7/10 and I could survive if the series gets cancelled. After episode 4 I was ready to declare it one of the best Netflix shows in years....

rp2000

Caporegime
Finished all 8 eps yesterday and yeah, compared to the Chinese version with 30 eps, they massively condensed it down and left a lot to be answered I felt, I'm only on episode 5 of the Chinese series too but it feels like a lot more will be explained and shown in the 2023 series than the Netflix one, like as if Netflix tried their hardest to make it more approachable to the layman than people who have at least a passing knowledge or interest in physics and cosmology.

I liked the Netflix one. but I think I'll be getting more out of the Chinese one.
to me it's like the netflix version has no character building and I don't really care about any of them.

Everyone seems fully fleshed out in the books and tencent version, netflix is like cardboard cutouts

The detective guy I like the actor but the character is crap compared to the guy he replaces.
I wish they stuck with characters like the originals

some of the minor changes niggle me too.

in the Book the guy betrays her, but in the series she protects him... unless it's supposed to be inferred that he told the guards she had the book

in the book he writes a letter to the government officials about the destruction, but hes shaking too much or whatever when he writes it, so the letter is in her handwriting and she takes the blame for the western ideas or whatever.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
ive only seen the first 4 episodes but to me its definitely one of those things im glad i can fill in the gaps or elaborate on other parts.
Its certainly rushed but i think the essence is there.
I think Britainising it so far loses any sense of world scale.
Da Shi the cop (Wong) I quiet like the version of him in this he carry's the same grumpy spirit.

Back
Top Bottom