Will you be buying Apple Vision Pro once it gets released in the UK.?

Associate
I learnt a cool (imo) thing about it today, it scans the room (creates the mesh) in realtime. The Space setup the Quest 3 requires you do before playimg mixed reality games takes a good few minutes, the AVP does it as you're using it, in realtime.

Soldato
the q3 does have depth sensor so i dont see the reason it cant unless its compute power.
i watched the video with he monkey and moving chairs and stuff around that was really interesting. cant remember were i watched it though :/

Associate
the q3 does have depth sensor so i dont see the reason it cant unless its compute power.
i watched the video with he monkey and moving chairs and stuff around that was really interesting. cant remember were i watched it though :/
I think you may have watched it here as I posted something on it, or maybe Reddit as it was on there too. The Q3 can do it but not sure if it can do it realtime when you're actually using an app like the AVP can, I'm not sure how the Q3 and AVP's cpu/gpu compare.

Soldato
Soldato
My home ecosystem is Windows + Android + Steam deck, although my GF is an iPhone user.

Unfortunately the Vision Pro doesn't fit in my ecosystem unless Apple actually go into cross-platform comparability (which they won't).

I like PC/Xbox/Steam deck gaming - and don't see a space for Apple as they aren't on par for gaming.

Soldato
4 minutes in, talking about the passthrough, he's got a window open. The only readable text there is central, the sides are straight up unreadable. That's some serious foveated rendering no? Or is it some sort of feature? You see it again at 4.16 when he's got the movie menu up, so I'm assuming that's what it is?f

Associate
OP
4 minutes in, talking about the passthrough, he's got a window open. The only readable text there is central, the sides are straight up unreadable. That's some serious foveated rendering no? Or is it some sort of feature? You see it again at 4.16 when he's got the movie menu up, so I'm assuming that's what it is?f
Yeah it’s heavily using foveated rendering which is good.

Soldato
I think the biggest issue (apart from the price) is the OLED smearing which by many accounts is really bad.

The trouble is pancake lenses absorb a lot of light so you need to have really bright displays to overcome that. OLED can do that but the downside is OLED persistence makes the image quite smeary with any form of movement. You can improve that by reducing brightness but then the image is quite dim.

I know that previous OLED headsets have used black frame insertion to combat smearing issues, or like on the Rift CV1 have not used the full dynamic range of the displays. I'm not sure what Apple is doing here.

It's plain though that they haven't really solved any of the major issues of VR hardware that other VR headset manufacturers wrestle with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is that good? Surely the scene cannot be so demanding as requiring that menu to be so blurry? Pancake lenses should mean this part of the screen should be visible and readable if correctly rendered.

They have eye tracked foveated rendering, so the user experience will be better. Apparently the lenses aren't as good as the Quest 3 or even Quest Pro as there is very noticeable glare and chromatic aberration at the edges, as well as some blurriness. (Though Quest 3 & Pro do have some issues, including brown glow on the Pro).

Associate
OP
Why is that good? Surely the scene cannot be so demanding as requiring that menu to be so blurry? Pancake lenses should mean this part of the screen should be visible and readable if correctly rendered.
It’s good because even if you have enough processing power you are increasing battery life by doing that.
Eye tracking on AVP is so good and fast that you will never see the reduced resolution in your peripheral vision.
Why wouldn’t you use it if it saves processing power, increases battery life and enables better visuals without any side effects for the user whatsoever (apart from screen recordings obviously).

Soldato
that battery pack.. would have liked to hae seen a replacable usb-c cable on it. its one of the items i can see breaking soonest.
i am also interested in how and what apple and vendors have planned for the eye tracking.

Last edited:
Soldato
that battery pack.. would have liked to hae seen a replacable usb-c cable on it. its one of the items i can see breaking soonest.
i am also interested in how and what apple and vendors have planned for the eye tracking.

Even as we speak, aliexpress will be stocking their shelves with aftermarket headset to USB-C connectors and battery packs and adaptors that will power the headset directly from the wall without using the battery pack.

Back
Top Bottom