Winter Transfer Window 23/24

Soldato
I like Craig Hope, despite the fact he looks like Steve Bruce could be his dad, but he's farming for clicks like all journalists these days. Why would a threadbare squad loan out an almost 1 in 2 centre forward?
He's 32 and has 18 months left on his contract so can see why they would sell if the opportunity came up but who would you replace him with and if there is a viable replacement then why aren't Athletico buying him? Or are Newcastle prepared to sell off anything they can get a quid for now and write off the rest of the season?

Soldato
OP
I like Craig Hope, despite the fact he looks like Steve Bruce could be his dad, but he's farming for clicks like all journalists these days. Why would a threadbare squad loan out an almost 1 in 2 centre forward?
He's 32 and has 18 months left on his contract so can see why they would sell if the opportunity came up but who would you replace him with and if there is a viable replacement then why aren't Athletico buying him? Or are Newcastle prepared to sell
CEO says we open for business last week and this is the outcome. I believe the Wilson bid was last week but I don’t think A.Madrid can afford a permanent deal hence the loan bid was rejected. We sell Wilson this window we can move forward our summer target.
Seen there was interest last week from Saudi. I don’t even think that club is one that owned by the PIF. Also clubs in Italy interested but doubt they be offering anything close to Saudi.

I wonder if the deal goes through do we recall Minteh? Or signed a new forward.

Soldato
Is that good for Newcastle? Hes been a decent player for you no? £20m is nothing.
very decent no doubt, I think he was penned this season to be more of a Impact sub with barnes one side and Gordon the other, but injury’s ****** that up. The thing with miggy is he’s so one footed I actually think he would fall over if he tried to use his right foot for anything other than standing on it, and everyone can telegraph that now, show him onto his right and attacks stall.
With it being a non PIF club, I think a £25m+ fee is reasonable and with the wages saved on him and others that have left/will leave, it should put us into a position to being in at least 2 by the end of the window, DM and a right AM that can actually use both feet.

this is also what we have to learn as a club and supporters, sentiment gets to nowhere in todays football, clubs move on fan favourites all the time, especially when they think they are getting the best money possible for them.

this is also why I have no problem with Tripps going (as long as it involves a fee or a swap), saving £9m over the next 18months and a fee of say £6-8m would allow us to bring in at least 2 players as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Miggy would rather cut his right foot off than use it.

I do like the lad apart from when he laughs when he misses sitters.

Last edited:
Soldato
It doesn't really add up though. Even if the Miggy money is true. Thats barely 50m in for three players who go straight into the starting line up of our strongest team. How much to purchase three premier league ready footballers, two of them forwards?

Miggy is essential to the way Howe plays. He's the one that presses from the front.

Newcastle's problem and future success lies behind the absolute chronic lack of investment in the youth team and training facilities for at least 30 years since Keegan all but abolished the reserve team. Newcastle need to get a position whereby they are churning out talent they can sell on for little initial outlay. Like Chelsea, Everton, City etc just as they are increasing revenues (again cramped by previous regimes).
Its looking pretty clear that unless rules change they wont be at the top table until they are producing a handful of players per year to lower level Prem / championship teams. Probably going to take a decade. By geographical area Newcastle have one of the largest catchment areas in the country with little to no competition from other clubs. Yet look how many successful lads from the North East have gone on to have great premier league careers, then count how many have came through the academy. Even the very best of the lot thought he'd have a better chance moving to the farthest club in England away from his place of birth!
Miley looks the goods, admittedly but its still very early days. We got good money for Andy Carroll but probably had Liverpool's pants down a bit on the price. Other than those two I am struggling to think of any other players better than bang average to come out of the club since the invention of the mobile phone.
The fact Lee Clarke thought the best place for his son to be, despite it being far more difficult to get him 1st team football, was Liverpool speaks volumes.

Soldato
It doesn't really add up though. Even if the Miggy money is true. Thats barely 50m in for three players who go straight into the starting line up of our strongest team. How much to purchase three premier league ready footballers, two of them forwards?

Miggy is essential to the way Howe plays. He's the one that presses from the front.

Newcastle's problem and future success lies behind the absolute chronic lack of investment in the youth team and training facilities for at least 30 years since Keegan all but abolished the reserve team. Newcastle need to get a position whereby they are churning out talent they can sell on for little initial outlay. Like Chelsea, Everton, City etc just as they are increasing revenues (again cramped by previous regimes).
Its looking pretty clear that unless rules change they wont be at the top table until they are producing a handful of players per year to lower level Prem / championship teams. Probably going to take a decade. By geographical area Newcastle have one of the largest catchment areas in the country with little to no competition from other clubs. Yet look how many successful lads from the North East have gone on to have great premier league careers, then count how many have came through the academy. Even the very best of the lot thought he'd have a better chance moving to the farthest club in England away from his place of birth!
Miley looks the goods, admittedly but its still very early days. We got good money for Andy Carroll but probably had Liverpool's pants down a bit on the price. Other than those two I am struggling to think of any other players better than bang average to come out of the club since the invention of the mobile phone.
The fact Lee Clarke thought the best place for his son to be, despite it being far more difficult to get him 1st team football, was Liverpool speaks volumes.
If we were to bring in £50m that would give us the room to bring in 3 £50m players, who are also going to be a lot younger than the 3 they replace

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@woppy101 and @Bigpig - I might have missed this but is there any succinct summary (or if you could take a bit of time...)of why Newcastle are having to sell and how 50m now turns into 3x50m in the summer? Cheers in advance
Wouldn’t be surprised if we sell no one lol

A simple explanation.

if sell a player for 50m that’s goes down on the books as 50m in that window/season.

If you buy a player for 50million and give him a 5 year contract that 50m purchase is spread over the length of the contract. Giving the club 40m headroom. Only 10m goes against that season finances (You books still have to balance the following seasons or stay within the allowed losses for the 3year period)

It’s why Chelsea was handing out 8 year contracts and selling all home grown players as they don’t have a book value.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom