Winter Transfer Window 23/24

Don
Wouldn’t be surprised if we sell no one lol

A simple explanation.

if sell a player for 50m that’s goes down on the books as 50m in that window/season.

If you buy a player for 50million and give him a 5 year contract that 50m purchase is spread over the length of the contract. Giving the club 40m headroom. Only 10m goes against that season finances (You books still have to balance the following seasons or stay within the allowed losses for the 3year period)

It’s why Chelsea was handing out 8 year contracts.
As above, no it doesn't. If you sell a player that has £0 value on the club accounts (an academy player for instance) then that £50m goes straight on the books. If for example Newcastle sold Tonali for £50m this January, they'd only record a profit of around £500k because his value on the club accounts is circa £49.5m.

Soldato
OP
As above, no it doesn't. If you sell a player that has £0 value on the club accounts (an academy player for instance) then that £50m goes straight on the books. If for example Newcastle sold Tonali for £50m this January, they'd only record a profit of around £500k because his value on the club accounts is circa £49.5m.
I know I was putting it into simple terms. It’s depends on the players Book value.

Miggy book value is probably zero now as he extended his contract.

It also depends on how the transfer is paid I believe

Last edited:
Soldato
Sale goes right into the books now. Buying is spread over the contract.

Kick that can down the road.
@woppy101 and @Bigpig - I might have missed this but is there any succinct summary (or if you could take a bit of time...)of why Newcastle are having to sell and how 50m now turns into 3x50m in the summer? Cheers in advance

This^^^, Miggy for instance, if sold for £30m, is mostly profit because he’s been at the club for over 6 years so there is little or nothing owed on him, so that money would go straight into the clubs accounts for this year, and if we were to buy a £40m replacement on a £120k, 5 year contract for instance, £8m would be added to the accounts this season (£40m/5) for the transfer and further £3.1m would be added for wages for the remaining season (agents fees would be needed to be added as well), so selling Miggy would allow us to possibly buy 2 £40m players in this window

Last edited:
Don
I know I was putting it into simple terms. It’s depends on the players Book value.

Miggy book value is probably zero now has he extended his contract.
It's not simple terms though, it's just wrong. As I showed, you can sell two players for the same amount and record massively different profits.

As for Almiron, his value won't be zero. A players value is only £0 when they're either out of contract or no transfer fee was paid (academy players or free transfers). When a player extends his contract, whatever value he has is then spread over the new contract. The new PL (and UEFA) rules state that this can only be done over a maximum of 5 years but that applies to both the original contract and any contract extentions.

A very quick google tells me Almiron cost £21m and signed on a 5.5 year deal, he then extended his deal after 4 years to a new 3.5 year deal. His value on the accounts will be, give or take, around £4.1m.

Soldato
OP
It's not simple terms though, it's just wrong. As I showed, you can sell two players for the same amount and record massively different profits.

As for Almiron, his value won't be zero. A players value is only £0 when they're either out of contract or no transfer fee was paid (academy players or free transfers). When a player extends his contract, whatever value he has is then spread over the new contract. The new PL (and UEFA) rules state that this can only be done over a maximum of 5 years but that applies to both the original contract and any contract extentions.

A very quick google tells me Almiron cost £21m and signed on a 5.5 year deal, he then extended his deal after 4 years to a new 3.5 year deal. His value on the accounts will be, give or take, around £4.1m.
Would you give over. I’m sitting here trying to answer a question that was asked while trying not to get caught on my phone at work lol.

You are literally nickpicking over little small details. The premise is correct. It’s the way The Newcastle CEO explained it in the video.

Woppy doo 4 million off Miggy book value.

Don
Would you give over. I’m sitting here trying to answer a question that was asked while trying not to get caught on my phone at work lol.

You are literally nickpicking over little small details. The premise is correct. It’s the way The Newcastle CEO explained it in the video.

Woppy doo 4 million off Miggy book value.
You can be caught on your phone or sat at a desk but your post was completely wrong, which is why I corrected it.

It's not nitpicking or small details, what you said was nonsense. If Man Utd sold Hojlund for £50m they could buy 3 x £50m players as a result? No, if Man Utd sold Hojlund for £50m they'd record a loss and as a result would be able to spend less than if they didn't sell him. Similarly what Newcastle could spend would be massively different if they sold two different players for the same fee. Selling players doesn't suddenly allow clubs to spend more, it's only if the player that's being sold is sold for considerably more than their book value and this is why you see a lot of clubs consciously do not sell flops because they'd record large losses on them and as a result it would negatively impact what they can spend.

And I'm not sure what woppy has to do with anything.

Soldato
OP
Sorry no your nickpicking. The basic premise is there. Most of us don’t live with the Ueffa handbook under our pillow.

Woppy doo = Woopie doo

Last edited:
Don
Sorry no your nickpicking. The basic premise is there. Most of us don’t live with the Ueffa handbook under our pillow.

Woppy doo = Woopie doo
I'll take this as an admission that you don't know what you're talking about or that you're Everton's accountant. And it has nothing to do with UEFA (or Ueffa) - it's just basic accounting.

Soldato
Just for you @Bigpig
Possible sale price £30m - book value of £4.1m = £25.9m plus saved wages of £1.3m total of £27.2m.(also depends on contract clauses and bonuses to be paid)

Player X signs for £40m, on 5 year £130k a week contract, adding to club accounts for this season £8m( transfer fee) and £3m for wages up until July 1st(signing on and agents fee’s not included) player X total = £11m to books, round it up to £14m for agents and signing on fees.

so as is said Miggy sale would possibly allow us to sign 2 £40m players this window

Feel free to Jump in @BaZ87 if i have messed up anywhere :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:(I really have no clue on agents fees, they could be a lot more or a lot less than I have added)

Last edited:
Don
Just for you @Bigpig
Possible sale price £30m - book value of £4.1m = £25.9m plus saved wages of £1.3m total of £27.2m.(also depends on contract clauses and bonuses to be paid)

Player X signs for £40m, on 5 year £130k a week contract, adding to club accounts for this season £8m( transfer fee) and £3m for wages up until July 1st(signing on and agents fee’s not included) player X total = £11m to books, round it up to £14m for agents and signing on fees.

Feel free to Jump in @BaZ87 if i have messed up anywhere :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:(I really have no clue on agents fees, they could be a lot more or a lot less than I have added)
I could nitpick and say that the new signing would sign a 5.5 year contract (as contracts must run to the end of the season) and you'd only record approx 6 months of his amortisation (which would equate to around £3.7m) on this seasons accounts but that would upset @Bigpig

The premise is correct though, if a couple of minor details aren't.

Soldato
I could nitpick and say that the new signing would sign a 5.5 year contract (as contracts must run to the end of the season) and you'd only record approx 6 months of his amortisation (which would equate to around £3.7m) on this seasons accounts but that would upset @Bigpig

The premise is correct though, if a couple of minor details aren't.
Not that far off then, more likely to be a £40m and a £30m player rather than 2 40s

Soldato
And yet you've gone from 3 50 Mill players to 2 35 Mill ones after having it explained, so yes man city style accounting is the only way you can get 3 £50 million players :p :cry:
Have a re-read of what I said over the posts, I was pointing out that bringing in £50m worth of transfer fees(miggy,tripps and Wilson) would possibly allow us to bring in 3 £50m players!
the working out “I” did was on miggy alone (I didn’t need anyone to explain it or work it out for me)

Are you purposely this pedantic and obtuse constantly?

Soldato
Are you purposely this pedantic and obtuse constantly?
it's a weird need to be 'right' that some in here seem to cling fiercly too, even some that should know better. very strange. there's a whole pointless back and forth has taken place that could have been avoided with a very simple post clarifying what bigpig was saying - i.e. something along the lines of, you're nearly right, but you need to remember it's only profit from a sale that goes on the books. there'd have been a lot less kerfuffle in that case. but instead you get a 'you're wrong and i'm right' load of guff.

Soldato
OP
Meh Philps off to Westham loan and option to buy. Not sure if the option is obligatory.

That was what all the press outlets were reporting stoping a move to Newcastle. Big loan fee and Obligation to buy.

Back
Top Bottom