World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
They changed the structure of the RGB in the pixels, it's the same with the 27" 1440p, the fringing is pretty much a non issue on the 3rd gen panels

Think new ultrawides are due for late 2024 into mid 2025 so will keep an eye out for them.

I'm currently down the HDR rabbit hole at the moment and ooft, what a mess this is lol. Trying to figure out if I stay with Trueblack HDR 400 or try and get 1000 nit HDR working properly and knowing what to disable/enable in the menus :cry:

Soldato
Think new ultrawides are due for late 2024 into mid 2025 so will keep an eye out for them.

I'm currently down the HDR rabbit hole at the moment and ooft, what a mess this is lol. Trying to figure out if I stay with Trueblack HDR 400 or try and get 1000 nit HDR working properly and knowing what to disable/enable in the menus :cry:

HDR1000 is better. True black makes more of a mess
Turn HDR off on the desktop

Some games allow HDR to be turned on in game, even if off on the desktop. But some games require it to be turned on before launching the game. When you find out which games these are you can add them to a program called AutoActions which will turn HDR on and off automatically when you launch/exit from the game.

Paper white setting in games should be around 150-200 when your monitor is capable 1000nits. However some games do use the setting differently so it can be trial & error.
A lot of RTX users are switching HDR off in all their games and just using RTX HDR because it's easier, better in a lot of titles and less of a mine field settings wise

Associate
HDR1000 is better. True black makes more of a mess
Turn HDR off on the desktop

Some games allow HDR to be turned on in game, even if off on the desktop. But some games require it to be turned on before launching the game. When you find out which games these are you can add them to a program called AutoActions which will turn HDR on and off automatically when you launch/exit from the game.

Paper white setting in games should be around 150-200 when your monitor is capable 1000nits. However some games do use the setting differently so it can be trial & error.
A lot of RTX users are switching HDR off in all their games and just using RTX HDR because it's easier, better in a lot of titles and less of a mine field settings wise

Is it? Well, I'll figure it out then.

I have HDR off on the desktop, but I noticed there Resident Evil 4 won't auto enable it, so I found out Windows key/Alt & B turns it on. But autoactions sounds useful. I don't like the idea of HDR on all the time due to the brightness setting recommended to be left at 50. In SDR I run brightness a lot lower than that.

It's now the settings on the monitor that are confusing, I think this is what I need to do

Game HDR OFF (this is the true black 400 toggle?)
HDR10+ Gaming Advanced? (this is the one I'm most confused about, off, basic or advanced)
Peak Brightness HIGH (this is the 1000 nits setting? not sure what medium sets it to lol)

Windows HDR calibration tool does seem to suggest above makes monitor 1000 nits, whereas if Game HDR is on it clips at 400. I am not saving a profile just using it to test.

HDR in Windows/on a PC just seems a right mess though. I use Firefox and I just found out it doesn't even support HDR!!! :cry:

Other things I like is my bump from 144hz to 175hz, but instead of thinking its just a higher refresh rate helping smoothness, I believe going from a VA panel to OLED is showing me just how slow a VA panel can be (and the one I have would be considered decent/fast). Walking around in RE4 was like butter!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure the advanced display is showing 2000nits on mine with HDR on after calibration with the windows HDR calibration tool.
And no I do not notice the text fringing what so ever. I guess it's like many things once you see it then it's always there and it can't be unseen..

Associate
I'm sure the advanced display is showing 2000nits on mine with HDR on after calibration with the windows HDR calibration tool.
And no I do not notice the text fringing what so ever. I guess it's like many things once you see it then it's always there and it can't be unseen..

White text on dark/black backgrounds is where I notice it most.

I set my text scaling to 110% in Windows and have just settled with Cleartype contrast 2000 as well. Mactype was blurring too much.

Associate
Just found out you can also stop the game bar auto popping up if you go into the service menu

Credit - https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/14wmdvi/comment/jrj6bdy/

If you don't have a phone with an IR blaster you can also use this remote VINABTY AA81-00243A. Will cost about £10 on UK sites though.

Associate

What is there really to figure out?
You turn off hdr when using windows and you turn it on before starting a game that supports it. Use HDR1000, tweak accordingly in game settings and that is it.

Last edited:
Associate
1622 firmware has just come across on mine with OTA..

Yeah it's there for me as well, haven't started the update yet.

Got a feeling most FW updates with this monitor will end up being about the TV junk :cry:

Some early messaging suggests DisplayPort issues getting fixed. Hopefully it's the annoying one I've come across where the DP doesn't recognise my PC signal on first power on and I end up needing to reboot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah it's there for me as well, haven't started the update yet.

Got a feeling most FW updates with this monitor will end up being about the TV junk :cry:

Some early messaging suggests DisplayPort issues getting fixed. Hopefully it's the annoying one I've come across where the DP doesn't recognise my PC signal on first power on and I end up needing to reboot.
I have no issues with dp at all, what firmware version have you been running? Any blank screen issues were resolved a couple of firmware incarnations ago.
There is some differences to the fonts and icons in the epg I've noticed in 1622. This is the changelog for 2022 models:
Update version 1622.4 - March 2024

• General image quality improvements in gaming mode
  • Optimization of the UI
  • Fixed missing sound during automatic channel search for cable channels
  • Volume control adjusted via SmartView

Last edited:
Associate
Quick update regarding the warranty. DELL told me:

"We notice that you reached out to our Dell support team in order to receive further information.

Please be aware that, per policy, the monitor with the burn-in issue will only be replaced once.

You can email us a picture or a video if the replacement monitor has the same problem or another one.

We will forward the information and pictures to the team of product experts, who will examine the case and the pictures.

We won't be able to offer another replacement until the product expert team has confirmed that the monitor is replaceable."

Soldato
Was that policy in place when you bought the screen?

If that’s a new policy I’d argue the case, it’s always worth querying rather than just accepting

Last edited:
I have an oled TV and it's been one of the best upgrades I've purchased, I'd love to extend that to an oled monitor but I just can't bring myself to get one, I'd be paranoid using it, I just don't think the technology is there quite yet for the static content on the desktop.

On my current ultrawide I have a permanent two window setup that I use for hours a day, I don't see how any oled could handle that, I'm a massive oled fan but I think in the future a majority of people are going to have burn-in issues with these displays, my current ultrawide is nearly 8 years old, no way is an oled lasting that long.

Will be very interesting to see if Dell offers a burn-in warranty on their next gen QD-OLED, I'm sure in the beginning it wasn't limited to one exchange.

Last edited:
Associate
I have an oled TV and it's been one of the best upgrades I've purchased, I'd love to extend that to an oled monitor but I just can't bring myself to get one, I'd be paranoid using it, I just don't think the technology is there quite yet for the static content on the desktop.

On my current ultrawide I have a permanent two window setup that I use for hours a day, I don't see how any oled could handle that, I'm a massive oled fan but I think in the future a majority of people are going to have burn-in issues with these displays, my current ultrawide is nearly 8 years old, no way is an oled lasting that long.
I tend to agree. Great for multimedia and I have no concern there, but for a setup as you describe, definitely not. I also think that is why Dell seemed to have changed their burn in warranty to 1 replacement.
I don't think I would buy a 2nd hand oled, and presuming after a couple of years the burn in starts to show on more screens, I also presume the sell on value won't be what people are used to with their ips/va sell ons.

Associate
I have no issues with dp at all, what firmware version have you been running? Any blank screen issues were resolved a couple of firmware incarnations ago.
There is some differences to the fonts and icons in the epg I've noticed in 1622. This is the changelog for 2022 models:
Update version 1622.4 - March 2024

• General image quality improvements in gaming mode
  • Optimization of the UI
  • Fixed missing sound during automatic channel search for cable channels
  • Volume control adjusted via SmartView

Yeah the UI is a lot better now!

My HDR service menu tweak from above works across firmware updates but the game bar auto popping up needs to be disabled again.

I tend to agree. Great for multimedia and I have no concern there, but for a setup as you describe, definitely not. I also think that is why Dell seemed to have changed their burn in warranty to 1 replacement.
I don't think I would buy a 2nd hand oled, and presuming after a couple of years the burn in starts to show on more screens, I also presume the sell on value won't be what people are used to with their ips/va sell ons.

Yeah, buying 2nd hand is a bit of a risk.

If you get a clean screen or have bought new/refurbed, I think it's just a case of enjoy the monitor and relax about burn-in. If you run something for work that has a fixed window/fixed screen for hours on end, then you've likely got an issue. Everyone else, I'd say normal usage is going to be fine as long as you keep things like pixel refresh/shift on.

Get used to a reasonable nits level on SDR as well, rather than the "Walk into Curry's and burn your eyes TV demonstrations" level.

I couldn't go back to VA now that I've experienced this black level, and the text fringing is getting a bit less noticeable over time. Once fringing is completely gone that would probably be the only time I'd consider upgrading to a new UW OLED monitor. 175hz and 3440x1440 is more than enough for me for the foreseeable. GPU upgrade (4080) will likely come before a new monitor. But given Nvidia and their bonkers pricing schemes/market shenanigans a 4080 utilising DLSS3 at 1440p seems more than adequate for years yet.

Last edited:
Associate
Any one else getting an issue on the new FW when you wake/power on the monitor (PC has remained on) text rendering gets messed up? Almost as if cleartype has stopped working, lol.

Didn't have this prior to the FW update and I don't think I've really changed anything in the OS to cause this. Although if I go to the Nvidia control panel and change anything, like say switching to 8bit and then back to 10bit, it fixes itself (change something that causes the monitor to quickly black screen to implement the change).

Soldato
Nope, all seems good here. This firmware incarnation is across different models, including all Samsung 2022 televisions, not read of any issues with qd-oled versions, which would be the S95B.
However I'm using a AMD gfx card so it could be driver related, if those changes resolve it. I'd try cleaning out everything NV and reinstalling...

Last edited:
Associate
Apparently the G8 OLED has burn-in warranty too.

"Going back, please be informed that burn-in on the OLED monitor is covered by warranty as long as it is categorized to be manufacturing defect, and there is no physical damage on the device."

Back
Top Bottom