YouFibre

Caporegime
Did the person you spoke to about having a day-long outage have the technical knowledge to assess where the fault was?

I'm always sceptical about reading too much into reviews that people post on Trustpilot or whatever because if I pick a random 1-star review of my current ISP, it opens with "Speed through the wire to the router as expected. Speed from the router wirelessly around the home - abysmal." which is irrelevant to me and also not a reflection on the quality of the service - they are reviewing how a router behaves in their house, and I don't live in their house.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just moved to YouFibre this week (2Gbit) and the download speeds are excellent. Pings about 11ms to London compared to 7/8ms on the CityFibre connection (from Yorkshire). Still not bad and presumably worse on YF as going via Manchester instead of direct to London.

Associate
I need to have a moan.

So in November bidb site showed that a chamber was getting built in late March 2024... sure. The last chamber built in the area was October 2023. This week about 6 or 7 spots appeared stating they are currently clearing blockages within existing duct lines... but this goes against what they told me in mid December. They said PIA was not feasible so why are they now clearing what has to be Openreach cable ducts...

They will all finish mid February but then that means nothing else hapens for a month till this chamber gets installed which means ducts likely get blocked again... how does a cable duct even get blocked like surely it's sealed off... maybe a crisp packet got in and that takes a week to remove who knows.

Last edited:
Associate
I need to have a moan.

So in November bidb site showed that a chamber was getting built in late March 2024... sure. The last chamber built in the area was October 2023. This week about 6 or 7 spots appeared stating they are currently clearing blockages within existing duct lines... but this goes against what they told me in mid December. They said PIA was not feasible so why are they now clearing what has to be Openreach cable ducts...

They will all finish mid February but then that means nothing else hapens for a month till this chamber gets installed which means ducts likely get blocked again... how does a cable duct even get blocked like surely it's sealed off... maybe a crisp packet got in and that takes a week to remove who knows.
I feel your pain, my dude.

I was connected a couple weeks ago, but I placed my order in April 2023..

Totes worth the wait.

Caporegime
A duct won't get blocked in a month, stuff being unblocked now or dug up will be ducts that have sat for 30 years with BT copper in and never touched. Blockages will be silt and mud that gets carried into them when the chambers flood.

Soldato
My bill is now going to come in at £32.99 for Gig speeds + static IP after paying just £1 for my net for 9 months with 4 of those cost me £6 as I pay £5 for the static IP. I've had issues with youfibre, more often than with Virgin however the issues were all based around maintenance which was warned of in advance and subsequently resolved very quickly. (bar one issue which the static IP soled). I cant fault the service from youfibre but I must admit that it has raised a few questions regarding how others do business in the UK and their integrity (or lack of). I think if I moved and had to look in to a provider other than youfibre Id be somewhat disappointed in what would be available to me in the local area.

Associate
What on earth has went on here.

vZBxTNg.png

150 was £19.99 last week. 500 £25.99 and 1 Gbps £27.99. That's a £3 extra charge on 1 Gbps. Last week they had advertisements about how they froze prices for this year... some global warming going on?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Possibly they have realised that running an ISP and spending several hundred pounds to enable each property on an FTTP network needs more than £26 a month back off people to work financially.

Associate

vZBxTNg.png

150 was £19.99 last week. 500 £25.99 and 1 Gbps £27.99. That's a £3 extra charge on 1 Gbps. Last week they had advertisements about how they froze prices for this year... some global warming going on?

The website was showing those prices 2 weeks ago when I was on there looking for a phone number.

Still a **** ton cheaper than slower speeds with VM or the other big ISPs.

I get the frustration, I waited about 9mths to be hooked up.

Don't forget we've had some appalling weather which has pushed back a lot of works.

Last edited:
Soldato

vZBxTNg.png

Well to be fair - all current customers are price frozen, as YouFibre don't do mid-contract price increases (well, they don't yet - I'm hoping that remains).

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
It always used to be £30 for the 1GBPS package too anyhow.
It dropped for a little while didn't it?
I'm paying £29.99, but got the first 6 months for £1 as I was still under contract with Vodafone. They then dropped it to £27.99 but removed all mention of the first three months at £1 (regardless of any contract you might still be in). Now up to £30.99, so only £1 higher than it was when they first launched around my way.

Last edited:
Associate
Recently been told youfibre is now available to us. Very tempted as we can only get FTTC otherwise, which is much slower for a similar price. Do they still offer to buy you out of contracts? Still got nearly a year left on our FTTC unfortunately.

Associate

Thank you, didn't see that on their site.

From what I can see there shouldn't be any issue with us continuing to use our existing router too. It's fairly recent and I'm happy with it's performance. Looks like they provide an Eero thing with only two ethernet ports, so I'd end up needing a switch anyway.

Associate

From what I can see there shouldn't be any issue with us continuing to use our existing router too. It's fairly recent and I'm happy with it's performance. Looks like they provide an Eero thing with only two ethernet ports, so I'd end up needing a switch anyway.
I'm using a TP-Link AX5400 with no issues :) The eero sucked in my opinion.

Soldato

Don't believe they are still supplying the Eero - I'm on the 1GB service and I have an Arris device, as does someone else who got there service about a month after me in the same town.
Happy enough with the Arris - nice stable connection and I'm getting WiFi 6 throughout the house (retired my old Ubiquity unit as that was a bit old school on speed).

Back
Top Bottom