Christmas work parties

Soldato
Cliff (my husband) has his one tomorrow and we're both going, black tie so he's wearing a white tux :D with waistcoat and black trousers. I have a lovely new long black dress with some detail at the top. Can't wait to get out again as it's been a couple of months since we've managed :)

When is everyone else going to their work do? I'll have to post some pics of Cliff in his white tux on Sunday :D

Even better for us the work do is being held at a hotel 1 mile away from us :D

Soldato
Hate to be a pedant, but a white tux is summer black tie (otherwise called 'warm weather black tie') only.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm off out with all the chicks on Sunday. Not sure what I'll be wearing though, need to do some shopping tomorrow! We're just off out for a nice meal in town and then where ever we end up, after that.

Associate
mine is tonight
i'm not going to the meal (no vege option!) but i'm going for the drinks after
i'm in a black shirt dress from gap, and boots - it's meant to be 'smart', but this is as smart as i get!
i wish my better half was going - but he doesn't fancy it!
we're not going to his works do, it's too far away and would mean he couldn't drink

Soldato
OP
mine is tonight
i'm not going to the meal (no vege option!) but i'm going for the drinks after
i'm in a black shirt dress from gap, and boots - it's meant to be 'smart', but this is as smart as i get!
i wish my better half was going - but he doesn't fancy it!
we're not going to his works do, it's too far away and would mean he couldn't drink

Have a good time :) Shame there's no vegetarian option, I'm a vegetarian too but have been well catered for, I didn't like the only meal option so the woman organising it called up the hotel and requested something else :)

Man of Honour
Here's to looking different :D Everyone will be in black so thought white would be better. Neither of us are fashion victims so aren't really bothered.

It is bad form to break traditional dress code, even worse than removing your jacket before the host. If he has any respect for the host he will turn up in proper dress.

Etiquette must be respected. Formal dress is one of the great traditions that hasn't been tainted too much by modern fashion and ignoring such an established dress code is disrespectful and embarrassing.

Soldato
It is bad form to break traditional dress code, even worse than removing your jacket before the host. If he has any respect for the host he will turn up in proper dress.

Etiquette must be respected. Formal dress is one of the great traditions that hasn't been tainted too much by modern fashion and ignoring such an established dress code is disrespectful and embarrassing.

Completely agree, will stand out like a sore thumb and will cause a lot of winks and nudges by other people. Not a bright idea really.

Had a department one last night which I still feel rough from, department lunch next Wednesday and the big company wide event next Thursday night at a large west end hotel just off the Strand in West London.

Man of Honour

I fully appreciate the benefits of tradition and respect, but sometimes at these events a bit of originality is appreciated. I get the impression that organisers of these events most often specify 'black tie' as a need to wear a tux, nothing more.

Fact that I like white tuxedos doesn't come into that of course ;)

Man of Honour
I fully appreciate the benefits of tradition and respect, but sometimes at these events a bit of originality is appreciated. I get the impression that organisers of these events most often specify 'black tie' as a need to wear a tux, nothing more.

Don't get me wrong, I love a white tux, so much so that I bought one last year! I'm just a strong believer in keeping with tradition. It's only a matter of time before everyone tries in vain to be the life and soul of the party by doing something "wacky and kerrazy" like breaking dress code and before you know it they'll be showing up to black tie events in a black shirt and sandals.

If you want to be individual at a formal dress event, the art is in the subtlety. A finely crafted shirt collar, a striking but classic cummerbund, braces with a subtle and fitting design etc...
Wearing the wrong colour of jacket is just going too far IMO.

Soldato

Tradition is one thing, but a dress code is a requirement to attend the event. If you aren't wearing the correct attire you get turned away, much like a nightclub for example.

I think it's quite rude to ignore this and think you can wear whatever you please. You wouldn't turn up wearing jeans and a T Shirt so why turn up wearing a white tux or looking like a zebra?

Soldato
I'll have to post some pics of Cliff in his white tux on Sunday :D
Think we'd rather have pics of someone else! ;)

Even better for us the work do is being held at a hotel 1 mile away from us :D
Gonna get absolutely kerploshed and get a taxi? :D

As in taxi back afterwards, not get kerploshed and get a taxi THERE. :D

If your husband turns up in white he will look a nonce.
Fixed. :p

Man of Honour
Don't get me wrong, I love a white tux, so much so that I bought one last year! I'm just a strong believer in keeping with tradition. It's only a matter of time before everyone tries in vain to be the life and soul of the party by doing something "wacky and kerrazy" like breaking dress code and before you know it they'll be showing up to black tie events in a black shirt and sandals.

If you want to be individual at a formal dress event, the art is in the subtlety. A finely crafted shirt collar, a striking but classic cummerbund, braces with a subtle and fitting design etc...
Wearing the wrong colour of jacket is just going too far IMO.

Agree with that in principle, just can't help thinking that - in terms of treading the line between individuality and rudness - it's a question of judgement in terms of the prestige of the event. I personally wouldn't consider a White Tux to be rude at a 'black tie' party of friends and colleagues.

Back
Top Bottom