The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Soldato
I'd like to hear about black depth on the 2408 versus previously owned LCDs if anyone doesn't mind. Let's say you set the whole screen to black and turn the lights off in the evening/night, usually LCDs produce a poor black depth in such circumstance. Just wondering how the latest screens get on. It's why I still have a CRT sat next to my 2007WFP for some games.

Would also be nice to hear how it gets on with 1080p signals via HDMI and VGA (thinking PS3 and 360 here) and whether 1:1 mode works as intended.

Thanks in advance. Looks very nice in the photos btw :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Slight hint of ghosting or just the standed motion blur normally associated with LCDs? My eyes and brain have had a late one today and are not communicating correctly :p

The cam appears to be picking up slight motion blur which you can't see in practice.. (it looks perfect to me.. no ghosting and great picture).

Soldato
There is a slight after effect even when I drag icons about this is on a standard 19inch TFT.....

Still thx for the vid.... still needs further and proper testing for that ghosting issue :)

Associate
OP
I'd like to see some pics of the screen running a PS3 or 360 please :)

Assassins Creed running on an Xbox 360:-

2408-1.jpg

Associate
Really want one, but heard there is issues with input lag.

would like to have an hour gaming session on one before i pay for one, as mainly using it for xbox360.

Choice:
32" LCD TV (720)
or
Dell 24" LC Monitor (1080)

it's a toughfee.

Associate
Mine arrived this morning but I can't use it, as my new build is at OC awaiting the Yorkfield Q9450 cpu to come in stock. Anyone any idea of how much longer I'm likely to have to wait.

Associate
Reports of average to poor lag times from our us friends....

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264046&page=11

And from Germany

I already posted in the "Quick Review" thread..got a WFPb today here in Germany.

- lag is almost always exactly 47 ms and sometimes 32 with the flatpanels.dk clock, another one I tested varies between 32 and 62 ms with most values at 45-50.

- there is some strange "DLP rainbow"-like effect with hard bright edges on a dark background (edge mirrored with green/grey stripes) that I always see if I move my eyes or blink. Is this the "ghosting" effect? Does somebody know if the Eizo CE240W got it? It's quite annoying for me because I work a lot in xterms (dark background, light grey font and frame).
When taking a photo of the screen at <1/500 shutter time I can actually see red and green tinted subframes, at <1/2000 I can see the transition in a single frame. What the heck is this? Something seems to be pulsed.

- overall picture quality is very good, except for noticeable black crush. Note that my old Samsung 213T (21" PVA without overdrive) doesn't have this problem at all and would be superior in every way if there wasn't the huge response time (>40 ms).

I will most likely send it back and get the Eizo CE240W I first wanted to buy.
I'm a bit disappointed it's still not possible for a demanding user to get a good display for under €1000. Now I have to spend just as much as for the 213T back then.

Soldato
Reports of average to poor lag times from our us friends....

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264046&page=11

And from Germany

I already posted in the "Quick Review" thread..got a WFPb today here in Germany.

- lag is almost always exactly 47 ms and sometimes 32 with the flatpanels.dk clock, another one I tested varies between 32 and 62 ms with most values at 45-50.

- there is some strange "DLP rainbow"-like effect with hard bright edges on a dark background (edge mirrored with green/grey stripes) that I always see if I move my eyes or blink. Is this the "ghosting" effect? Does somebody know if the Eizo CE240W got it? It's quite annoying for me because I work a lot in xterms (dark background, light grey font and frame).
When taking a photo of the screen at <1/500 shutter time I can actually see red and green tinted subframes, at <1/2000 I can see the transition in a single frame. What the heck is this? Something seems to be pulsed.

- overall picture quality is very good, except for noticeable black crush. Note that my old Samsung 213T (21" PVA without overdrive) doesn't have this problem at all and would be superior in every way if there wasn't the huge response time (>40 ms).

I will most likely send it back and get the Eizo CE240W I first wanted to buy.
I'm a bit disappointed it's still not possible for a demanding user to get a good display for under €1000. Now I have to spend just as much as for the 213T back then.

Am reading this hardocp thread a lot, many are complaining about the input lag.....

Back
Top Bottom