The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Soldato
Well the monitor arrived this morning, and I'm very pleased with it. It was well packaged and complete with cables etc.

Installation was quick & easy, there's no sign of any light bleed, no dead pixels and the colours are fantastic. I don't really know how to do a proper test for ghosting however I have tried WOW and UT3 and nothing was apparent. This monitor is replacing my Viewsonic 922 (2ms) which I used for gaming and it was pretty good for that, however, I could clearly see a vast improvement with the dell.

I'm running the montor on a 8800Ultra Sli system and the increased resolution seems to be handled without a problem.

I'll have a proper play with it today/tonight but I'm seriously tempted by first impressions just to order another one now.

Jase

Soldato
Well the monitor arrived this morning, and I'm very pleased with it. It was well packaged and complete with cables etc.

Installation was quick & easy, there's no sign of any light bleed, no dead pixels and the colours are fantastic. I don't really know how to do a proper test for ghosting however I have tried WOW and UT3 and nothing was apparent. This monitor is replacing my Viewsonic 922 (2ms) which I used for gaming and it was pretty good for that, however, I could clearly see a vast improvement with the dell.

I'm running the montor on a 8800Ultra Sli system and the increased resolution seems to be handled without a problem.

I'll have a proper play with it today/tonight but I'm seriously tempted by first impressions just to order another one now.

Jase

Got any pictures you can post of the screen? A little tempted myself.

Soldato
Got any pictures you can post of the screen? A little tempted myself.

Here's a couple, I'll post some more when I have my tripod handy.

dell1.jpg

dell2.jpg

dell4.jpg

dell5.jpg

Jase

Soldato
Looks lovely, but we need someone with deep pockets and a LaCie Blue Eye Pro calibration unit to sort us out with a proper test of the colour handling.

Any willing volunteers?

Man of Honour
Looks lovely, but we need someone with deep pockets and a LaCie Blue Eye Pro calibration unit to sort us out with a proper test of the colour handling.

Any willing volunteers?

I'll do it if anyone is local to me and wants to let me play with their 2408WFP :)

Soldato
Could make a nice world exclusive for TFT Central too.

Well, unless anyone else has tested such a pairing and I'm yet to see the results.

Associate
WOW

Mine arrived this morning and .....................................

It's Massive

I'm coming from a NEC Multisync 90GX2 19" (non wide screen)

Picture is ammazing, no need to mess with settings, worked perfect straight out of the box.

Set my background to black and there is no sign of bleed.

No ghosting what so ever.

No dead pixels and No stuck pixels.

The viewing angle is brilliant.

It's perfect.

I was a little worried about the price and the 2407 problems, all my fears have been totally but to bed.

If you have the money get one, they are great.

Best monitor I've ever had.

No, I don't work for Dell :p

Pics.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Sorry about the flash, black is real black
003.jpg

Associate
Interesting question. The OcUK is a Digimate. You're talking bottom of the barrel budget brand. However, they don't make the LCD panels (and neither do Dell), it's probably a samsung, maybe even the same as the 2408. You would then think, ah but the Dell will be put together better. Well it probably will but Dell monitors aren't immune to having problems, I remember the first 20" dell widescreen had masses of backlight bleed problems (usually down to shabby assembly). My 2007WFP has some backlight bleed too.

What is without doubt though is that you get a more stylish monitor, as the OcUK looks quite ugly IMO, you get a lot more inputs, and you will get better support. You also get a much better chance of getting a good screen first time. You just need to look at the OcUK 24" thread to see there's been quite a few problems (although they all get sorted by the warranty of course). The Dell has a zero-bright pixel guarantee too, whereas Digimate could get the panels that aren't good enough for Dell/Samsung monitors. I would also expect the OSD to be better and stuff like the electronics (scaling etc).

I do think there's room for the 2408 to be more competitively priced though. It seems to be carrying a 'new product premium'.

thanks for the info fish99, I like the look of the ocuk value too but as my purchase will last me probably another 3 years or more im gonna go with this new Dell (it looks great in the pics in this thread too!)

Man of Honour
Could make a nice world exclusive for TFT Central too.

Well, unless anyone else has tested such a pairing and I'm yet to see the results.

I've been a bit busy of late but I've nevertheless asked Dell for one to test, so hopefully one way or another I'll have one soon to test :)

Soldato
I'll probably have one by this time next week so might even be able to do some tests for you, assuming my LaCie software arrives on CD in time!

Back
Top Bottom