The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Soldato
Soldato
Yeah thats what I was thinking also its a lot of cash to put down but frankly my next pc setup is gonna have to be the last of many ;)

So if its gonna last a few years then might as well go for the Dell.

Id like to see a couple more people run the same ghosting test on the 2408hc just to confirm its all good because I was so disapointed Dell ignored the 2407hc issues while at the same time offering 4 year business warranty/next day swop out and all these amazing support only to be let down the fact it was faulty overdrive madness ;)

Associate
these look pretty nice, i'm still using a 17" viewsonic (about 4 years old) and need an upgrade, I can stretch my budget to the Dell but what major differences can I expect over, say, the ocuk value (I really want hdcp/hdmi anyway, so the ocuk isnt an option for me), just a curious lcd noob...

Soldato
these look pretty nice, i'm still using a 17" viewsonic (about 4 years old) and need an upgrade, I can stretch my budget to the Dell but what major differences can I expect over, say, the ocuk value (I really want hdcp/hdmi anyway, so the ocuk isnt an option for me), just a curious lcd noob...
Interesting question. The OcUK is a Digimate. You're talking bottom of the barrel budget brand. However, they don't make the LCD panels (and neither do Dell), it's probably a samsung, maybe even the same as the 2408. You would then think, ah but the Dell will be put together better. Well it probably will but Dell monitors aren't immune to having problems, I remember the first 20" dell widescreen had masses of backlight bleed problems (usually down to shabby assembly). My 2007WFP has some backlight bleed too.

What is without doubt though is that you get a more stylish monitor, as the OcUK looks quite ugly IMO, you get a lot more inputs, and you will get better support. You also get a much better chance of getting a good screen first time. You just need to look at the OcUK 24" thread to see there's been quite a few problems (although they all get sorted by the warranty of course). The Dell has a zero-bright pixel guarantee too, whereas Digimate could get the panels that aren't good enough for Dell/Samsung monitors. I would also expect the OSD to be better and stuff like the electronics (scaling etc).

I do think there's room for the 2408 to be more competitively priced though. It seems to be carrying a 'new product premium'.

Back
Top Bottom