The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Soldato
Is this not what the lag input is that all the guys over at hardocp are on about ?
Input lag isn't something visible like a trail or ghost image, it's the perception that the mouse pointer moves a period of time after your hand moves. It can obviously make aiming a problem in games. So the image the screen is showing is 47 ms (according to the numbers posted) out of date because the screen is spending too long processing it (or whatever is causing it).

High input lag does seem common with PVA screens, but these numbers are worse than the 2407. In a way it can be as off-putting as something like ghosting. It's looking like it isn't a great screen for fast gaming.

Associate
dissapointed :(
kind of made up my mind not to get it now then. i could put up with a slightly higher response time than a TN panel for gaming but if the input lag is that bad then that's too bad.

considering the 22" iiyama with 0 input lag for gaming and an ocuk 24" for films/browsing/tv/photoshop. would cost less than this monitor?

Soldato
Input lag isn't something visible like a trail or ghost image, it's the perception that the mouse pointer moves a period of time after your hand moves. It can obviously make aiming a problem in games. So the image the screen is showing is 47 ms (according to the numbers posted) out of date because the screen is spending too long processing it (or whatever is causing it).

High input lag does seem common with PVA screens, but these numbers are worse than the 2407. In a way it can be as off-putting as something like ghosting. It's looking like it isn't a great screen for fast gaming.

Might have been better of sticking with my Samsung 245B TN panel :(

Gonna wait for more concrete reviews, I could only imagine the frustration of a crosshair or even a pointer in suprememe commander sessions showing lag :(

Soldato
dissapointed :(
kind of made up my mind not to get it now then. i could put up with a slightly higher response time than a TN panel for gaming but if the input lag is that bad then that's too bad.

considering the 22" iiyama with 0 input lag for gaming and an ocuk 24" for films/browsing/tv/photoshop. would cost less than this monitor?

Yeah am wondering that also, frankly I was looking for something that would last a good few years....and I find myself having to just keep changing specs lately lol

Perhaps 200 quid on a TFT aint so bad and then when a better ones out in 6 months time or so... re-upgrade, might be the better plan frankly.

Permabanned
Got mine this morning, seems a nice screen.
Reads my 16Gb CF card np and my 4Gb SD card (Not tried SDHC as I don't have any)

dscf1141op4.jpg

dscf1148ak3.jpg

Associate
Looks like I am going to go with the HP 2408H as my new monitor then :( I was stuck between choosing that and putting a bit of extra cash in if the 2408 if it was looking good for gaming as well :( Had enough problems with my dell 2407 and ghosting, was really hoping that the Dell 2408 would have sorted out issues that in this day and age should be accounted for.

Soldato
You can test for input lag by setting up the screen next to a CRT in clone mode (same thing on both screens) then you run a clock program that displays seconds down to 3 decimal places, and then take very short exposure shots of both screens together. On something like a Samsung 226BW (both very quick in response time and very little input lag) the time would be either identical or just a few milliseconds behind. On some of the worst screens for inputs lag (Samsung 215T, 244T etc) the clock could be over 60 ms behind on the LCD.

Something like this (found this by googling but I think it might be from Baddass's site, hope he doesn't mind) -

lag_244t.jpg

Soldato
I've used mine for 2 nights now, and to be honest I think it's a great screen. I haven't done any input lag tests and tbh I don't really intend to. The games I've tried with it Crysis, WOW and UT3 all seem fine (and I'm pretty fussy). Maybe my reflex's aren't as quick to notice :)

I've been working in Photoshop most of the day today with it to, seems fine.

The way I see it and a comparison, the last car I bought was 360bhp, did I take it from the garage to a rolling road to see if it was actually producing 360bhp, no.. I thought I love this. What I'm trying to say is if you bought one I dont think you'd be sorry. If there was poor ghosting, poor colors, dead pixels different story but there's not.

Jase

Associate
Anyone know about return/exchange policy for dead pixels? I have a really annoying one in the top third and want to know about a possible exchange.

Soldato
Anyone know about return/exchange policy for dead pixels? I have a really annoying one in the top third and want to know about a possible exchange.

Quoted from Dell, thought you would have known this as it's a major selling point :

Dell monitors are designed and built to our highest standards, providing the quality and reliability you expect when you see the Dell logo. Each has been exhaustively tested and comes backed by a Dell Limited Warranty3. Unyielding commitment to quality and the satisfaction of our customers has driven Dell to offer a Premium Panel Guarantee ensuring replacement of UltraSharp series monitors with zero bright pixels. Even if only one bright pixel is found, a free panel exchange is guaranteed during the limited warranty period, so you can rest assured your investment is protected.

Soldato
You can test for input lag by setting up the screen next to a CRT in clone mode (same thing on both screens) then you run a clock program that displays seconds down to 3 decimal places, and then take very short exposure shots of both screens together. On something like a Samsung 226BW (both very quick in response time and very little input lag) the time would be either identical or just a few milliseconds behind. On some of the worst screens for inputs lag (Samsung 215T, 244T etc) the clock could be over 60 ms behind on the LCD.
If someone can point me in the direction of the software for the clock, I can compare a 2408 and a LaCie Electron Blue IV CRT at the weekend.

I'll also be able to do some in-depth colour calibration analysis too - let me know what tests you'd like to see run and I'll do my best to cover them.

mmmmmmm, looks like dell are having a hard time beating thee old 2407wfp ao4, what with the 2407 HC model having problems now this, I was half temped to upgrade to the 2408 but I can't stand poor input lag, it's the reason why I sold my Samsung 244t, shame really as the IQ in the 244t was stunning but the input lag was just sooooo bad, made playing fast paced fps's nearly impossible, going on what hardocp it's seems the 2408 just dips below what is acceptable in my eyes for input lag.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine is in;
Its rather nice... no photos tho; meh desk isnt presentable atm :p.

Really nice to have some decent screen space; Upgraded from a 19" Square Iiyama.

Turning on Dynamic Contrast & Movie Mode seems to make for some ace movie playback :)

My only complaint is that certain fonts; mostly ones which are smooth curvest etc; when Black on White/Grey have an odd sorta red/green edge... almost like they're designed to be seen with 3d glasses.
The white on blue of the forum causes so such issues; nor does grey on white. I dont know if there are any options I can change? I've tried the 'Smooth Edges of screen fonts'... which didnt make any discernable difference :(

Back
Top Bottom