The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Associate
Reply to my own message. I've just run the 'Nvidea Control Panel'. This is white text on a black background. Using this test, black is very black with no bleed at all. Confused.

Mick

Associate
Here again. I've just set the screen saver to 'Blank', there is bad bleed from the top and bottom left corners. I dont think I can live with this. What is the procedure for returning it. Do I deal with Dell or the place I bought it from (not OC).

Edit: Is light bleed a good enough reason to return the monitor, or is it one of those things that LCDs have.

Mick

Last edited:
Man of Honour
mick4545, use the "edit" post feature in future if you can please rather than posting multiple replies in a row, people might think you're spamming otherwise! :)

Associate
was seriously considering buying one of these, now not sure - what makes this any better than the 2407? I'm a serious gamer and do quite abit of design work... should i buy the 2407 anyway? 2408 not proven - looks like it could be abit of a problem for online gaming

Soldato
OK, used virtual stopwatch.
Dell 19inch CRT displays 38 seconds 241 milliseconds
Dell 2408 displays 38 seconds 159 milliseconds

Both screens are set to 1280 because of clone mode and the CRT is running at 85hz.
Yikes, that's 82 ms lag. You should probably run the screens in clone mode though with both at 60 hz or I'm not sure it's a fair test. Might also want to set the 2408 to 1:1 so there's no scaling involved.

Associate
OP
Another (slowed down) comparsion against the ViewSonic..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uSK_s4FAkX0

lag2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
These figures so far are very disappointing! Seems as though Dell are struggling to release a problem free monitor first time round these days.

Soldato
Do the clocks run up? Because if so, wouldn't the dell be going a lot faster than the other monitor?

.969 for the Dell
.999 for the Viewsonic

Surely this means the Dell is .030 ms faster? =\

I have a feeling im wrong, is anyone able to explain?

Associate
OP
Do the clocks run up? Because if so, wouldn't the dell be going a lot faster than the other monitor?

.969 for the Dell
.999 for the Viewsonic

Surely this means the Dell is .030 ms faster? =\

I have a feeling im wrong, is anyone able to explain?

It goes up.. it's a stopwatch program..

Example (if I had a CRT attached as well as the ViewSonic display) - If you started the stopwatch program and took a photograph, 70 milliseconds later, of all 3 displays (in the same photo):-

CRT Display: 70 milliseconds
ViewSonic Display: 40 milliseconds
Dell Display: 10 milliseconds

This means that when the stopwatch program has got to 60ms.. the Dell is still showing 0.

Last edited:
Soldato
It goes up.. it's a stopwatch program..

Example (if I had a CRT attached as well as the ViewSonic display) - If you started the stopwatch program and took a photograph, 70 milliseconds later, of all 3 displays (in the same photo):-

CRT Display: 70 milliseconds
ViewSonic Display: 40 milliseconds
Dell Display: 10 milliseconds

This means that when the stopwatch program has got to 60ms.. the Dell is still showing 0.
Ahhh I see :) Thanks buddy!

Soldato
Maybe it's just me... but three hundredths of a second doesn't seem like its going to be perceptible with out doing side by sides. Do those people who have this monitor actual perceive it as a problem?
It's 3 hundreths slower than the VP2030b, which is 3 hundreths slower than a CRT, so it's actually 6 hundreths, and some of the measurements have been higher than that, around 8, so nearly a tenth. Yes you can percieve it, you can see the mouse pointer doesn't move immediately when you move the mouse. It also means your inputs in FPS games are effectively out of date, behind the game, so it makes hitting things more difficult.

You've got to remember it was a huge deal for online gaming when we got broadband instead of dial-up and pings to the server dropped from about 200 ms to around 30 ms (ping is there and back). You don't want to add another 60-80 ms back onto that because of your screen. So for gamers yes it is an issue.

Of course this screen will still sell by the bucketload and many people (most even) will never notice the problem, especially occasional/casual gamers and non-gamers.

Associate
It's 3 hundreths slower than the VP2030b, which is 3 hundreths slower than a CRT, so it's actually 6 hundreths, and some of the measurements have been higher than that, around 8, so nearly a tenth. Yes you can percieve it, you can see the mouse pointer doesn't move immediately when you move the mouse. It also means your inputs in FPS games are effectively out of date, behind the game, so it makes hitting things more difficult.

You've got to remember it was a huge deal for online gaming when we got broadband instead of dial-up and pings to the server dropped from about 200 ms to around 30 ms (ping is there and back). You don't want to add another 60-80 ms back onto that because of your screen. So for gamers yes it is an issue.

Of course this screen will still sell by the bucketload and many people (most even) will never notice the problem, especially occasional/casual gamers and non-gamers.

What is the best alternative for gamers...
Dell 2407 but no HDMI
Iiyama B2403WS-B 24" Widescreen TFT LCD 3ms

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe it's just me... but three hundredths of a second doesn't seem like its going to be perceptible with out doing side by sides. Do those people who have this monitor actual perceive it as a problem?

That's what I'd like to know. For those of you who own the monitor, if you're focusing on the cursor and suddenly move the mouse, is there a visible delay before the cursor moves?

Associate
OP
That's what I'd like to know. For those of you who own the monitor, if you're focusing on the cursor and suddenly move the mouse, is there a visible delay before the cursor moves?

You don't notice the 60ms lag when moving the mouse, it's only an issue for fast paced fps games as you are 4 frames behind "reality", as opposed to 2 frames with an average LCD and 0 frames behind (well close to zero) with a CRT.

Last edited:
Soldato
Couple of preliminary calibration reports for you all:

vs sRGB:

srgbys1.jpg

vs Adobe RGB:

adobergbxm2.jpg

I'm using a new calibration tool so still not 100% comfortable with it, especially when it's reporting that the brightness of the monitor at 4/100 is 120 cd/m2...

Still, initial reports seem positive. Just need to get the monitor into my neutrally-colour room, ensure the lighting is even and then do some more tests.

Back
Top Bottom