The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Soldato
Thanks. I currently have a 2407wfp which I believe is a TN panel? Would this make a good upgrade?
No, it's either an SPVA or an AMVA. If I were looking into a new panel right now (I am and I have a 2407 A04) I would take a look at the 2709 as it seems to be around the same lag time as the 2407.

Associate
Guys, as I understand it, there is no change in revision number for this monitor -- even after the "corrected" features have been incorporated into newer models. From Dell:

"Due to a Dell internal process change many of the 2408's that will ship new with the revised firmware will have a different part number and not a different revision number. The only way you will be able to tell if it's the revised firmware is to check the sharpness setting, if the setting is in multiples of 10 then it is the revised firmware if it's in multiples of 25 then it's not. The part number has nothing to do with the revision but someone decided since we are changing the part number anyway the firmware will be A00 on that part number."

Associate
Guys, as I understand it, there is no change in revision number for this monitor -- even after the "corrected" features have been incorporated into newer models. From Dell:

"Due to a Dell internal process change many of the 2408's that will ship new with the revised firmware will have a different part number and not a different revision number. The only way you will be able to tell if it's the revised firmware is to check the sharpness setting, if the setting is in multiples of 10 then it is the revised firmware if it's in multiples of 25 then it's not. The part number has nothing to do with the revision but someone decided since we are changing the part number anyway the firmware will be A00 on that part number."

Till now I've received both 0CX268 and 0G286H, both rev.A00 and the old firmware.

I've heard about 0CX268 rev A01 (see above in this forum).

But I never heard (nor the Dell Tech Support) about a third part# rev.A00 but integrating the new firmware.

If somebody can give me this new part# rev.A00 integrating the new firmware, I'm interested.

Soldato
Thanks. I currently have a 2407wfp which I believe is a TN panel? Would this make a good upgrade?
Your 2407WFP is an S-PVA panel, the same panel type as in the 2408WFP. It's a negligible upgrade, if fact in some areas like input lag it's a downgrade, so it's not an upgrade worth spending lots of money on. Is there anything actually wrong with your 2407WFP?

About the only thing that's an upgrade from a 2407WFP is one of the 24" S-IPS screens, or something that's bigger than 24" (but not a TN).

Associate
Your 2407WFP is an S-PVA panel, the same panel type as in the 2408WFP. It's a negligible upgrade, if fact in some areas like input lag it's a downgrade, so it's not an upgrade worth spending lots of money on. Is there anything actually wrong with your 2407WFP?

About the only thing that's an upgrade from a 2407WFP is one of the 24" S-IPS screens, or something that's bigger than 24" (but not a TN).

Also depends on which version / Revision his 2407WFP is as my Rev 04 is not input laggy at all. ;)

Associate
Got my 2408WFP and I love it! It is the older firmware version, but this is an amazing monitor. Some pictures running GTR2 Evo:

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

car-1.jpg

The motion blur is from my camera, not the screen ... totally pin sharp :)

Associate
got my 2408wfp replaced and it had a sticker with REV A03 on it, it also has the sharpness in 10% increments, only problem I have is that the stand is stucki in the lowest position and won't move up or down!

Associate
got my 2408wfp replaced and it had a sticker with REV A03 on it, it also has the sharpness in 10% increments, only problem I have is that the stand is stucki in the lowest position and won't move up or down!

Hi...

It's a common problem: the lock feature.

Just press the large silver button at the back of the swivel while pushing down further the monitor with your other hand, then release the button while you gently let the monitor goes up.

About your replacement: wow ? A03 ?
I'm curious...:
- Is it a new or a refurbished one ?
- What's the part number (first part of the S/N: CX268 or G286H)
- What's the built month ? (written on a sticker at the back)

Thank you for your answer

Associate
I can't actually press the button in, it seems stuck.
**edit I pressed it and it now moves, I'm just a bit weak :( , thanks for telling me about the lock feature**

I don't know if the A03 is a mistake and should be a A01 sticker.

It's a refurbished one from what the guy on the Dell phone said I'd be getting, some guy turned up and just swapped out the monitor and stand with the one I had, got a few extra cables since he didn't take the old ones.

Serial is CX268 and it says April 2008 on the back.

It has a stuck grey pixel just where the search bar in the top right of firefox is, don't really notice it much and I'll probably not risk sending it back and getting a A00.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't actually press the button in, it seems stuck.
**edit I pressed it and it now moves, I'm just a bit weak :( , thanks for telling me about the lock feature**

I don't know if the A03 is a mistake and should be a A01 sticker.

It's a refurbished one from what the guy on the Dell phone said I'd be getting, some guy turned up and just swapped out the monitor and stand with the one I had, got a few extra cables since he didn't take the old ones.

Serial is CX268 and it says April 2008 on the back.

It has a stuck grey pixel just where the search bar in the top right of firefox is, don't really notice it much and I'll probably not risk sending it back and getting a A00.

So now it's Ok for you? To unlock you have to simultaneously press the button and push the monitor down further. Then you let the monitor goes up while still pressing the button.

A03 is indeed probably an error in the refurbishing process.

Thank you for your answser

Associate
So now it's Ok for you? To unlock you have to simultaneously press the button and push the monitor down further. Then you let the monitor goes up while still pressing the button.

A03 is indeed probably an error in the refurbishing process.

Thank you for your answser

Yeah, doing the pushing the button and and pushing down worked, cheers :D

Associate
Over the past week I have had a number of conversations with Dell UK Sales - summary as follows:

1. They tell me that the A01 is not scheduled to be released until at least February

2. Most of the issues found on the A0 have been resolved and the units shipped now reflect this.

3. Other issues could be 'subjective'.

4. There are no units of the old model being shipped...

5. They have never heard of 0G286H or OCX268. Sales don't have access to this information. Model numbers change so frequently, they are for the factories use only and not meaningful for customers

6. Monitors are made to order and not provided from stock!! (ha ha)

Well the 2408 I received (in the UK) this week is as 0CX268 and the date on the back of the box is 15 May 2008. How can that have been 'made to order'?

I don't know what Dell are playing at here, but I wish their sales and customer service guys were (a) better informed and/or (b) didn't tryto mislead their (often savvy) customers...

I have been advised to try the monitor and see if it is faulty. On the plus side, there don't seem to be any quibbles having it exchanged (yes, probably for another old CX268, of course) or my money refunded!

Can someone please let me have the name and number of a 'sensible' / helpful customer service guy in the UK? Much appreciated.

Ugh......!

Julian

Associate
Over the past week I have had a number of conversations with Dell UK Sales - summary as follows:

1. They tell me that the A01 is not scheduled to be released until at least February

2. Most of the issues found on the A0 have been resolved and the units shipped now reflect this.

3. Other issues could be 'subjective'.

4. There are no units of the old model being shipped...

5. They have never heard of 0G286H or OCX268. Sales don't have access to this information. Model numbers change so frequently, they are for the factories use only and not meaningful for customers

6. Monitors are made to order and not provided from stock!! (ha ha)

Julian

My two cents, from my experiences. DISCLAIMER: this is provided "as is" and with no guarantee this is correct. This is only deducted from my own experiences and readings...

2408 for Europe are produced in CZ (Theck Republic).

The initial part# worldwide was 0CX268.

The firsts 2408 0CX268 (from Feb2008/March2008) had often a lot of of issues: bad color homogeneity (pink hue), dark side/corner.

0CX268 was progressively improved. 0CX268 models from May 2008 are ususally better than the ones produced in March for panel/color homogeneity.

It seems that some changes was made to the 2408 design in july, resulting in a new part# dependent upon the plant producing it:
0G286H for 2408 from CZ (Europe)
0G291H for 2408 from China (Australia, etc)
0G283H fro 2408 from Mexico (USA, Canada, etc).

Generally, users of 0G2xxH report the model is improved compared with the 0CX268: better anti-glare coating, better colors.
But it also depends on the built-date of the 0CX268 as 0CX268 from May are already far better than 0CX268 from Feb.
However, 0G2xxH seems to sometimes have a very small bright dot (not a dead pixel) near the center of the screen. As this not visible from a normal usage distance and furthermore only on a very dark background in low light conditions, this could normally be ignored.

All this is totally independent of the new firmware.
The new firmware improves: input lag, sharpness setting, power save mode.
It has nothing to do with picture quality or panel homogeneity.

So at this moment (transient period) it exists new part# 0G2xxH revA00 with the old firmware and part# 0G2xxH rev A01 that has the new firmware.

0G291H and 0G283H rev A01 are now delivered in USA, Canada, Australia, etc.
HOWEVER, AFAIK NO 0G286H with the new firmware (rev A01) have been yet seen in Europe.

To be complete: in the refurbishing process it seems that 0CX268 are now flashed with the new firmware. So users getting a refurbished 2408 as a replacement in Europe could get a 0CX268 rev A01.

Last thing: normally sales people should be able to check the part#.

Hope this help

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, this might be a stupid question, but how do you know when the monitor was built? I've had two now (both 0CX268) but I haven't seen a production date on them anywhere. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom