The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Associate
Hi
I have been watching this forum thread and MANY others regarding this screen, I have too delayed purchasing and contacted OC's yesterday...
I asked them too "would it be the latest revision a01 or one of the model numbers with the latest firmware".
The reply was:

Dear justin,

Thank you for your webnote,

If you order the monitor with your order we will order one in and will not take more than 48 hours for us to recieve it then ship your order. These Monitors come with the latest firmware.

Regards,

Warren Dooley"

Not over laden with informationl really but i'm gonna take the plunge its late september now and OC have a fresh batch in, surely theyv'e got to be the revised/ updated firmware version???

I'm holding off building a whole new gaming monster for this screen...

Associate
Mmmh...
Very interesting...
Please anybody getting a 2408WFP part#0G286H with the new firmware, keep this forum informed...
Thanx ! ;)

Associate
I ordered it the other day, and with seeing it as in stock thursday afternoon expected it to have been dispatched?
But it just say's this in my account?
Order Status: Security validation.
As soon as i get it, i'll post what firmwares on it;)

Associate
Well, it pitched up at 08:30, I couldn't resist getting it set up. The difference in size between it and my 19" standard aspect Iiyama is fantastic.

I seem to have a perfect quality panel (can't see any bright/dead/stuck pixels yet). The contrast and brightness were both set at 50%, which is quite intense. I've lowered both to 40%, but feel I need to get a calibration tool to make the most out of it. Those two controls operate in 1% increments, although there is quite a delay sometimes between pressing the button and the action occurring. I don't know if this is part of the panel processing or not, but I suspect it is as there is no trouble with the buttons aside from that.

I'm happy to post a pic of my panel in situ if anyone wants it.

I'll do a more detailed review in the next couple of days - my intial thoughts are that I've made the right choice.

The box reads 0G286H, Rev A00. It was shipped to OcUK on 24/09 in a batch of 200 items. I'm not sure which numbers relate to exactly when it was built.

Associate
Hi julianhj,

Good to hear you're pleased with your new monitor.

I was wondering if you could tell us what % increments the sharpness setting goes up/down in.

Cheers

Associate
Well, it pitched up at 08:30, I couldn't resist getting it set up. The difference in size between it and my 19" standard aspect Iiyama is fantastic.

I seem to have a perfect quality panel (can't see any bright/dead/stuck pixels yet). The contrast and brightness were both set at 50%, which is quite intense. I've lowered both to 40%, but feel I need to get a calibration tool to make the most out of it. Those two controls operate in 1% increments, although there is quite a delay sometimes between pressing the button and the action occurring. I don't know if this is part of the panel processing or not, but I suspect it is as there is no trouble with the buttons aside from that.

I'm happy to post a pic of my panel in situ if anyone wants it.

I'll do a more detailed review in the next couple of days - my intial thoughts are that I've made the right choice.

The box reads 0G286H, Rev A00. It was shipped to OcUK on 24/09 in a batch of 200 items. I'm not sure which numbers relate to exactly when it was built.

thx for description. one question remains: sharpness increments of 10 or 25? to check whether it is the supposedly new firmware.

Associate
I've just opened 'Paint' to get a plain white screen.

There's a definite darker portion on the right edge of the screen.

Damn. What should I do?

Associate
Here is a pic which shows pretty much what I can see:

2892232360_347874f681_b.jpg

Gutted.

Associate
Oh dear...

I'm starting to wonder if this monitor is worth the months of waiting...
I'm not sure what a good equivalent would be though.

I'm pretty much just waiting for the sharpness increments to be different, as with the increments of 25, it makes text too aliased or soft from my Mac. With increments of 10, I think there would probably be something inbetween that would be a perfect setting. I wish they would just make it user flashable. :(

Associate
Where do I stand? Distance selling regs? Dell warranty for a swap out? If it was swapped out would it be a brand new model or a refurb?

I just want a decent monitor!

Associate
Oh dear. Increments of 25% :mad:

i was in contact last week with ocUK and i was informed by email that the DELL 2408WFP monitors which ocUK were shipping NOW were all with new firmware WITH 10% increments on the sharpness control (which is BTW the ONLY way to tell if new firmware is installed)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

In reply to
---------------------
dell 2408wfp. is this with new firmware (10 units sharpness control) ?

Thank you for your webnote,
Yes it has the new firmware.
Regards,
John Antrobus

In reply to
---------------------
this exchange of notes began with my asking exactly which firmware revision this model had (dell 2408wfp) and i was assured that it was the newest firmware with the sharpness at increments of 10. How can you know about a product you do not have in stock?

we are a main parterner with dell they advise us of the revisions of stock we are going to be getting anymore questions?

Regards,
Warren Dooley

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

so obviously you did not buy your dell2408wfp from ocUK, correct?

Associate
I don't think you should settle for a refurb, having paid for a new product.
I was in this situation a few months ago, and ended up just going for the refund. Now I'm waiting for the new revision to be in circulation in the UK, but I'm losing patience...

Associate
I wouldn't be too hopeful, unless you're getting a refurbished model.
But if you do get a A01 revision, then perhaps finally they're breaking into circulation in the UK/Europe!

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom