*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

tbs

tbs

Associate
Well, I personally need it because I still have an original macbook pro with the core duo chip in it, it won't take more than 2GB of RAM and thats a problem.

is 2gb the most the original MBP takes?

Well I actually meant the aluminium case itself. As nice as it looks, it seems to be a rather expensive addition for people who aren't really going to be bothered by it (I think it's better on the MBP only).

This is a major struggle for me, as I really really really wanted one before seeing what Apple have done. Apart from the case, the touchpad changes worry me and the "gloss only" screen as well.

The HE discount softens the blow somewhat, but it's still £125 the wrong side of painful, especially as i'm going to need a case and a mouse.

same here, i just got myself a slipcase and that costed 25£ just for a plainish black one, plus i want a new mouse too :(

You get 3 years as standard with HE purchases as opposed to 1 year with normal purchases. The extra £58 they try to get you to pay is for extended phone support.

i got told that even on HE discount, oyu just get the standard 1 year, i even asked the "apple genius" that and she said no, you only get 1 year, and she goes, you can get the apple care for extra 2 years (total 3) for 58£ and i said to her, thats not what i meant, i actually meant do i get 3 years supplied even if i dont get the apple care with my HE discount and she still said no :confused:

Associate
I really don't like the look of the new macbooks (making it look like the MBP has put me off).

I wanted the black macbooks to be continued... I'll go to the Apple shop tomorrow and see if I change my mind after seeing them in person.

Commissario
I'd love one of the new MBPs but it would be a toy. I've never needed a laptop apart from my work computer although it would mean that I could sit downstairs and play computers rather than sit in the shack.

I wonder what they're going to be like for heat, that case should be a good heatsink.

Soldato
650quid for new screen. O my goodness. Apples pricing is serious warped here. i think their rapid growth might just take a turn in the opposite direction now.

Commissario
i got told that even on HE discount, oyu just get the standard 1 year, i even asked the "apple genius" that and she said no, you only get 1 year, and she goes, you can get the apple care for extra 2 years (total 3) for 58£ and i said to her, thats not what i meant, i actually meant do i get 3 years supplied even if i dont get the apple care with my HE discount and she still said no :confused:

She lied, my MacBook is just over a year old and I can see on the Apple website that I have just under 2 years warranty remaining.

With regards to the new MacBooks and pricing, I think Apple have gone wrong here. Yes, the new technology is great but do the MacBooks really need this fancy touchpad? I preferred the plastic casing also, and I've already said it but will say it again, I don't like the fact that the MacBook and MacBook Pro look so similar. Only difference is size when it comes to viewing it.

Someone mentioned that MacBook no longer has a firewire port? Big error here also, what about those that use external sound cards, uploading video files off of a camera etc?

I just get the impression that they're taking away these small things in order to get you to spend more money on top of a price that I can't justify. Glad I still have my old style white MacBook and iMac (when it gets here!!!)

EDIT - will just add, I wouldn't be surprised if sales fell due to the massive price increases.

Soldato
Im definitely getting one, just annoyed that I have to buy the top one to get the backlit keyboard. Knowing how much I use my backlit saitek, ill need it.

Soldato
Was holding off to get a new macbook for my bro but there is no way he will be paying near 900quid for a uni laptop. Thank goodness they are still selling the white one! It will do nicely - similar spec for a few hundred quite less. Its a no brainer.

Associate
The new MacBook's (both Normal and Pro) look very impressive.

But I just can't see most consumers going for them. At least if they have any sense of what they're getting from it. The standard MacBook's are waaaaaay overpriced (even with the online HE discount i'd be a little unsure of hitting that buy button :eek:)!

We are still stuck with shared graphics on the standard MacBook. Granted these appear to be incredibly good shared graphics, but it's none-the-less not a dedicated card like in most equally priced Windows laptops.

Don't even get me started on the Pro's - you take off around £500 for getting something without the Apple logo on it.

This is Apple taking form over function to dizzying heights.

Associate
I was thinking about switching over to a Mac, but these prices are making me think twice now. I might just go for the entry level macbook.

I wonder why the base spec Macbook has gone up £20 though for what is the same spec as it was before the new spec Macbooks were announced!

Soldato
Thanks. I guess its sort of competitive with Dell's M1330 range if you're a student.

I use a 1330 at work. Dont think they are in the same league construction-wise. Obviously I couldnt say for certain until I have held the Macbook.
1330 is a solid machine in its own right, but a lot of the batch we have at work seem to be developing faults at a frightening rate.

Soldato
I was going to buy a new MacBook tomorrow anyway, fancy the look of the new ones but I don't need to spend an extra £200 on something for looks.

Will be getting the base model as intended, the new ones are very nice though :).

Back
Top Bottom