Older generation - racist?

Permabanned
You can't defeat determined terrorists and the only way to stop the IRA campaign, especially on the mainland was to make a deal with them, simple as that. Might not be palatable but it is better than the alternative.

Exactly. Which is going to happen with Muslim extremists. Because let's be honest. They're a lot more determind than Irish Republicans. The only time Irish Republicans blew themselves up was by accident.

Man of Honour
Stupid and ignorant people are racist and it tends to be the old who are more ignorant.

My housemate has an amusing story. He was eating a sandwich on his lunch break and the woman he was sharing a bench with was getting increasingly annoyed and making obvious disgruntled body language.

"Excuse me, are you ok, whats the problem?"

She replied with spite:
"Back in my day, people had the manners to eat food at the table"
"... but in your day, black people were not equal"
"... but we didn't know better!"
"Exactly ;)"

:D

Soldato
The examples in the first post are a bit extreme by anyones standards I think, but its true that the older generation are pretty racist.

Like this comment by the D of E

Referring to an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh in 1999: "It looks as if it was put in by an Indian."

That pretty much sums it up for me how a lot of old people think. I think its funny, not offensive.

Soldato
Is it just me that finds verbal racism one of the funniest things ever!?

Towards black or white people it's hilarious. I think it's the expressions and names that are the funniest. Snow****** being one of my favourites.

And let's face it, it's no different to me calling someone a ginger ninja or a blonde bimbo is it.

I know what you mean. I am not racist, but love some of the terminology and wording used to verbally assault ALL races.

I think if you can't laugh these things off then you probably take the world too seriously; unless the butt of the joke was specifically aimed at you for whatever reason.

I've laughed at some horrible racist jokes but more because it was uncomfortable or funny in wording rather than because I despised the particular race it was about.

Good comedy is based on observation ad timing and there are obvious differences between all races, some good, some bad.

The classic I'm thinking of is the Chris Rock sketch "Bigger and Blacker". Obviously he has a lot of racial material in there, but I have never laughed so hard when he goes on about "The Media, Black People and A derogatory word used to describe black people".

"When I go to a cash machine at night, I'm not looking over my back watchin' out for the media, I'm watching out for nwords!!!".

Soldato
Do you really think that people want to say such things now but don't because of fears about being labelled racist?

Absolutely yes. You only need to look back to the late seventies/early eighties to see television programs like the Sweeney and Til Death Do Us Part to see actors on prime time tv calling black characters Nig Nogs and Darkies, Asian characters pakis and **** and Irish characters Bog Trotters and Bombers. In addition comedians like Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson regularly took the mick out of other races in a manner that would today be considered un-pc.

People who were bought up during those times and enjoyed these television programs (which you have to remember were the norm for the times) were quite probably using the same language everyday to talk about different cultures in their daily life.

The only thing that has changed is the political outlook on such things - people haven't and I'm not in the least bit surprised to hear older people still using this kind of language. Rather I'm surprised we don't hear it more - especially with political correctness wearing quite thin with a lot of people.

Caporegime
I know what you mean. I am not racist, but love some of the terminology and wording used to verbally assault ALL races.

I think if you can't laugh these things off then you probably take the world too seriously; unless the butt of the joke was specifically aimed at you for whatever reason.

I've laughed at some horrible racist jokes but more because it was uncomfortable or funny in wording rather than because I despised the particular race it was about.

Good comedy is based on observation ad timing and there are obvious differences between all races, some good, some bad.

The classic I'm thinking of is the Chris Rock sketch "Bigger and Blacker". Obviously he has a lot of racial material in there, but I have never laughed so hard when he goes on about "The Media, Black People and A derogatory word used to describe black people".

"When I go to a cash machine at night, I'm not looking over my back watchin' out for the media, I'm watching out for nwords!!!".

There is quite a difference in using terms like that in a comedic performance, as opposed to casual conversation.

Soldato
I'm still surprised no one has mentioned Honkys (I think thats spelt right) But because that is aimed at white people its not considered a racial slur by a lot of places.

My mum works in a hospital. Anyways there was a new starter and she was quite young and white. Majority of the people working there are black. For some reason the group of black people decided to bully her because they didnt like her for some unknown reason. She got called all sorts of names the main one being Honky. When she complained about it, management said it was not a proper racial slur....... what the hell !

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm still surprised no one has mentions Honkys (I think thats spelt right) But because that is aimed at white people its not considered a racial slur by a lot of places.

My mum works in a hospital. Anyways there was a new starter and she was quite young and white. Majority of the people working there are black. For some reason the group of black people decided to bully her because they didnt like her for some unknown reason. She got called all sorts of names the main one being Honky. When she complained about it, management said it was not a proper racial slur....... what the hell !

It definitely is a proper racial slur. I would be going through the grievance procedure and if that fails, an employment tribunal. It is no better than the 'n' word used to describe black people.

Soldato
It definitely is a proper racial slur. I would be going through the grievance procedure and if that fails, an employment tribunal. It is no better than the 'n' word used to describe black people.

Thats what I thought. flipping stupid. I think in the end the girl left and got a job else where. Sad really :(

Soldato
My grandparents on my dads side of the family were very anti-japanese, my grandfather fought them in the second world war in Singapore, so I guess it's kind of understandable.

Soldato
My grans racist, but only in a senile "im gonna blurt it out rather loudly in a crowded restaurant" way...bless

I also used to have an old maths teacher who was rather racist. He put up an Everton calender and it stayed on January for an extra 2 months, when asked why he hadn't updated it he replied "because February and March are taken up by coloured folk, normal service will resume in April" there was a phrase he like to use a lot when we were faced with a particularly hard problem, "oh dear lads, this ones as hard as finding a n***** in a woodpile...

Really? No non whites at your school then? What year are we talking about here?

No, I'm sorry, not all old people are racist or magically 'excused' from being polite just because they're old.

My mum's side of the family are INCREDIBLY White/English, my nan was a Hunt before she married my grampa, a Smith. A bit further back you get some French's but I daresay it was some time ago they came over to England from the continent to end up with that as a surname!

Anyway. It was a fairly racist society back then, my nan used to work with a black man, I can't remember where - either a shop or the local bio lab (I forget). They became friends and brought him home to tea once, much to the consternation of her own mother who I don't think liked that very much...

Point being if you're a closed-minded grumpy git, I suppose you're likely to be racist too. Goes for all ages. But if you're open and friendly and lack prejudice, then you won't.

Totally agree with this post, it is simply an issue of being closed minded.

Don't be silly. First of all, not all foreigners are of a different race. Secondly, we didn't kill Germans or Japs because they were foreign, we killed them because we were at war with them - total war.

And this has also been put perfectly! totally agree

Soldato
My Grandparents. my parent (mother) and me are all pretty racist to be honest.

I'm not sure if I should say your honesty is commendable but can I ask you why you are racist.

You seem to be aware therefore you should be able to see how untenable your statment and prejudices towards those of a different race is?

It kinda comes across as though you are pround:confused: but please correct me if I am wrong.

Soldato
My Grandad went out to Africa I think and/or India at the end of World War 2, and he didn't come back as a racist. I think being that kind of situation would make you less racist in all honesty, as you'd have seen a different culture, different people and experienced a new country.

Granted, it was an end of war tour as it were, with no/not much actual fighting.

I guess some older people use terms which are less politically correct (i.e. 'blacks' instead of black people) but that doesn't imply racism.

Anyway, (to contradict myself) I've no doubt there are more racist old people than racist young people but to be honest, I think there's more racist angry middle-aged white males about (the group of people that are anti-immigration, feel like they're losing their national identity, etc.)

Permabanned
I guess some older people use terms which are less politically correct (i.e. 'blacks' instead of black people) but that doesn't imply racism.
Blacks is neither un-PC or racist. Any more than the terms whites, Asians, Latinos etc. It is the plural of black. How could there be any problem with that.

Anyway, (to contradict myself) I've no doubt there are more racist old people than racist young people but to be honest, I think there's more racist angry middle-aged white males about (the group of people that are anti-immigration, feel like they're losing their national identity, etc.)
Being anti-immigration (especially anti uncontrolled mass immigration) and having the well founded fear that we are losing our national identity, is NOT racist whatsoever.

Man of Honour
My grandparents on my dads side of the family were very anti-japanese, my grandfather fought them in the second world war in Singapore, so I guess it's kind of understandable.

My Grandad went out to Africa I think and/or India at the end of World War 2, and he didn't come back as a racist. I think being that kind of situation would make you less racist in all honesty, as you'd have seen a different culture, different people and experienced a new country.

Granted, it was an end of war tour as it were, with no/not much actual fighting.

The Japanese were a little different though. They did some awful things to prisioners of war. That's not to say they're anythign like that now though.

Back
Top Bottom