Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

Soldato
Just to add another voice to the ever-growing echo - Hamilton needs to get out of that team. Fast. Even a drive at Torro Rosso would at least give him the chance to be his own man, rather than a puppet for whatever stupidity McLaren want to try each week.

***edit***

Oh, and given the revelations about what happened - anyone want to defend McLaren at all? Is it all a giant pro-Ferrari conspiracy at the FIA?

Or can we take it as read that, for once, the FIA probably got it bang-on?

I'm sure that's supposed to be a harbinger of the apocalypse....

Apparently lol

Remember its not like McLaren actually did anything wrong - they thought Trulli had to go back in front, and so let him. End Of Story. They actually LOST a place initially. Unless stupidity is a crime for the FIA or something

Caporegime
Oh, and given the revelations about what happened - anyone want to defend McLaren at all?

The funniest thing is reading this thread back last night, all the comments on Hamilton being screwed over by the Fia. The fia picking on mclaren etc.

Then the full facts are revealed, that it's the team management and driver that actually have zero integrity left.

This thread then had a complete swing in the other direction. One of the best F1 arguments on here yet :D

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Remember its not like McLaren actually did anything wrong - they thought Trulli had to go back in front, and so let him. End Of Story. They actually LOST a place initially. Unless stupidity is a crime for the FIA or something

Where they did wrong was in trying to make out to the stewards that they hadn't let Trulli back through. That's why they got hit with the DQ stick.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The FIA got it right yes. But it took them way too long and their methods for dealing with this have been more damaging to the sport than the initial problem was.

Yes McLaren screwed up big time but the FIA should have a better way of dealing with these situations than dragging the whole sport through the gutter!

I absolutely agree.

Soldato
Aye, we're all armchair pundits over here ya know. :)

With 20/20 hindsight ;)

It does seem like people are now trying to lynch Hamilton due to their amazingly strong beliefs that any lie is punishable by ending his career..

Please remember that there have been lots of incidents where two drivers have given their account of the accident which directly conflict. When the FIA have resolved who was to blame in these cases, it automatically means then that one of them was probably lying a bit about what happened, yet we don't call for their blood, neither do the FIA..

That does not excuse LH in the slightest, he lied, we all found out, some of us initially gave him the benefit of the doubt and where proved wrong, but lets not get silly and lynch him as someone you could never trust again, because based on that criteria, there are few people you can actually trust to be 100% honest 100% of the time.

Soldato
That does not excuse LH in the slightest, he lied, we all found out, some of us initially gave him the benefit of the doubt and where proved wrong, but lets not get silly and lynch him as someone you could never trust again, because based on that criteria, there are few people you can actually trust to be 100% honest 100% of the time.
I remember a M. Schumacher 'parking' his cat at Rascasse in Monaco in Qualifying saying that the car was broken but in reality he just wanted to mess up the last laps of the people behind him.

And I think his career was still quite succesful after that :p

Soldato
I remember a M. Schumacher 'parking' his cat at Rascasse in Monaco in Qualifying saying that the car was broken but in reality he just wanted to mess up the last laps of the people behind him.

And I think his career was still quite succesful after that :p

Difference is, when did Schumi get the stewards to wrongly penalise someone else from another team?

Last edited:
Soldato
Difference is, when did Schumi get the stewards to wrongly penalise someone else from another team?

I dont think you want to go down that route. Schumachers wiki page reads like "The A to Z of how to cheat at F1 and win championships" (published 1994).

Caporegime
I dont think you want to go down that route. Schumachers wiki page reads like "The A to Z of how to cheat at F1 and win championships" (published 1994).

ayrton senna etc were totally legit though? he learnt from racing with the masters ;)

how quickly people forget the so called glory days werent actually whiter than white

Last edited:
Soldato
With 20/20 hindsight ;)

It does seem like people are now trying to lynch Hamilton due to their amazingly strong beliefs that any lie is punishable by ending his career..

Please remember that there have been lots of incidents where two drivers have given their account of the accident which directly conflict. When the FIA have resolved who was to blame in these cases, it automatically means then that one of them was probably lying a bit about what happened, yet we don't call for their blood, neither do the FIA..

I just want to lynch him cause he is black :p (joke btw! Someone said earlier they think it is cos he is black he is being punished)

It isn't that 2 drivers statements conflicted, it is that someone gave a statement to the stewards, which contradicted media interviews they gave, and also radio chatter. I don't think anyone has ****ed up that bad.

Schumi didn't park his car, say it had broken down to the stewards, but before and after the stewards meeting tell the press 'I parked it there to **** up alonso' If he did i think that would have been a different ball game.

JRS

JRS

Soldato

And how many of his seven titles did he win by cheating, gord? 1994 I suppose you could say he cheated, doing what virtually every driver since 1980 would have done in the same situation (which doesn't excuse it, but still....). But I'm struggling to see where the other six were won by cheating.

Associate
I love the fact that he's trying to blame it on the whole 'team orders' thing, he didn't exactly take much notice back at Hungary in 2007 did he? Ok so he may have been persuaded to go along with it, but at the end of the day it was his decision, a very weak one for what is just 1 point.

Soldato
And how many of his seven titles did he win by cheating, gord? 1994 I suppose you could say he cheated, doing what virtually every driver since 1980 would have done in the same situation (which doesn't excuse it, but still....). But I'm struggling to see where the other six were won by cheating.
I think you'll find that book was published in 1994, so you can see what I was referring to.

Although, I dont really think I need 6 more considering we are comparing to a driver gaining 1 place at the first race to one winning the championship by cheating.

Nevertheless, I have heard rumours he released another little known book. "The A to Z of how to fall of the track trying to do what you did before and lose the championship" (1997)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I think you'll find that book was published in 1994, so you can see what I was referring to.

I could see that, yes.

Funnily enough, it bore some similarities to another persons work, published in 1990. That one was called "How to win the championship by driving at full tilt into the back of your rival in possible the most dangerous maneuver the sport has ever seen".

Soldato
I just want to lynch him cause he is black :p (joke btw! Someone said earlier they think it is cos he is black he is being punished)

It isn't that 2 drivers statements conflicted, it is that someone gave a statement to the stewards, which contradicted media interviews they gave, and also radio chatter. I don't think anyone has ****ed up that bad.

Schumi didn't park his car, say it had broken down to the stewards, but before and after the stewards meeting tell the press 'I parked it there to **** up alonso' If he did i think that would have been a different ball game.

It must be personal opinion, because from my perspective, I class lying from the outset, or changing your story halfway through and then lying as equivocal.

It would seem that from the Schumi example (and I can only infer from this), As long as you never admit guilt, whether you get away with it or not that is OK and not remotely as bad as LH changing his story?

Soldato

I'm struggling to recall Schumi using the stewards or the FIA to penalise his opposition, yes he used marshals to get him out of gravel, yes he rammed into people, yes he parked his car, yes he used an illegal helmet once, and so on .. but I do not recall him getting his opponents penalised by the FIA like that.

End of the day, the issue here is not necessarily lying. You have to walk/cross the line on the track while racing (such as diffusers, flexible wings, moveable floors etc), however you DO NOT lie to the officials to get your opposition penalised; this is where McLaren crossed the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
:o
I'm struggling to recall Schumi using the stewards or the FIA to penalise his opposition, yes he used marshals to get him out of gravel, yes he rammed into people, yes he parked his car, yes he used an illegal helmet once, and so on .. but I do not recall him getting his opponents penalised by the FIA like that.

End of the day, the issue here is not necessarily lying. You have to walk/cross the line on the track while racing (such as diffusers, flexible wings, moveable floors etc), however you DO NOT lie to the officials to get your opposition penalised; this is where McLaren crossed the line.

What are you talking about, he intentionally took people off the track and then lied about it, he intentionally parked his car in Monaco during qualifying then lied saying there was a car fault. My God get some perspective - Schumacher was one of the biggest cheaters in F1, unquestionably! Hamilton lied and apologised - something rather more honourable than Schumacher.

Back
Top Bottom