Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Abstain

Votes: 80 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Anyone heard more about the capital gains tax they were mentioning last night? They didn't go into detail. Just wondering how I'll be hit when I sell my flat, even though I'll be lucky to make £5K out of it after fees etc.

Is your flat your main residence? If so no worries. If not then it is likely you won't hit the threshold if the profit is only going to be £5k though it may all be liable if you have used the allowance already this financial year.

Soldato
Fair is a subjective word. There is no point at all using it with regards to taxation.

Fair is not a subjective word.
Fair for income tax is when everyone pays the same as a percentage of their income.
Fair for local tax is when everyone pays the same amount in tax as they are an equal drain on services (thus poll tax was the fairest system)

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Fair is not a subjective word.
Fair for income tax is when everyone pays the same as a percentage of their income.
Fair for local tax is when everyone pays the same amount in tax as they are an equal drain on services (thus poll tax was the fairest system)

So your subjective view for the word fair when it comes to taxation means everyone pays an equal amount. That's fine. However that doesn't make it fair from someone elses point of view. For example some people may believe that the only fair tax is that which is based on ability to pay. For them, your tax views, as it ignores ability to pay, would not be fair.

Caporegime
Fair? How is taxing something that has already been fair? How is taxing something that could mean someone has to sell or remortage their family home fair?

Taxing things that have already been taxed happens all the time. Or do you not pay VAT, Stamp Duty, Alcohol duty, Fuel duty, Council tax and so on? That's a silly argument.

How are "family homes" fair?

How is a tax that is completely unrelated to ability to pay fair?

How is giving people huge sums of unearned income fair? Why is it fair that the children of the rich get a massive unmeritocratic leg up in life? As for ability to pay, it's a massive chunk of unearned income! Ability to pay doesn't come into it, because you're not taxing something anyone has earned.

I am assuming by fair you actually mean "It doesn't impact me"? As that seems to be the normal meaning of the word "fair" as far as taxation is concenred.

What a silly thing to say.

Not to mention it has little impact on the richest in our society as they plan for it and avoid it any way.

That could be avoided with suitable reform.

Soldato
So your subjective view for the word fair when it comes to taxation means everyone pays an equal amount. That's fine. However that doesn't make it fair from someone elses point of view. For example some people may believe that the only fair tax is that which is based on ability to pay. For them, your tax views, as it ignores ability to pay, would not be fair.

There is nothing fair about taxing based on ability to pay, as it assumes what someone is able to pay - thus tries to impose a lifestyle on them that they may not want.
Under that system someone earning say £1mil would be "able to pay" 750k as tax, as 250k is enough to live on comfortably ... but what if that person wants to live a lavish lifestyle that sees him spend £500k?

Flat percentage tax is inherently fair due to it being the same for everyone, with no bias towards how they want to live or how much they earn.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
There is nothing fair about taxing based on ability to pay, as it assumes what someone is able to pay - thus tries to impose a lifestyle on them that they may not want.
Under that system someone earning say £1mil would be "able to pay" 750k as tax, as 250k is enough to live on comfortably ... but what if that person wants to live a lavish lifestyle that sees him spend £500k?

Flat percentage tax is inherently fair due to it being the same for everyone, with no bias towards how they want to live or how much they earn.

The point I was trying to make is that different people have different ideas about what is and isnt fair. Which is why fair is the wrong word to use. (Which is also why I used it so much in repsonse to Mr_Jack's usage when it came to IHT).

Soldato
The point I was trying to make is that different people have different ideas about what is and isnt fair. Which is why fair is the wrong word to use. (Which is also why I used it so much in repsonse to Mr_Jack's usage when it came to IHT).

It doesn't matter what different people view as fair, there is only one possible definition for fair tax and it is the definition I gave.
Saying "ability to pay" is fair is like saying "positive discrimination" is NOT still discrimination

Suspended
Inheritance is completely unearned income, it's getting a huge wodge of cash that you never lifted a finger for. It serves entirely to propogate privilege and is as unmeritocratic as you can get. Tax on inheritance is the single fairest tax in our entire system. I'm glad to see Tory plans for a massive giveaway to the richest in our society scotched.

What a load of crap. You're just jealous.

Associate
Still hating on everything are you?

Go on then, let's see a picture of you so we can all see how it's done.

I'm simply saying that Cameron looks like a toff and Clegg looks like he should be dribbling. I'm not making any point other than that. Brown looked like he had had a stroke most of the time, but at least he had presence. Stop bringing my political affiliations into everything I say.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
How are "family homes" fair?

Erm, because it is pretty much a fundamental drive of parents to try and provide for their children? Are you a parent?

How is giving people huge sums of unearned income fair?

It isn't. But then neither is it unfair. Why is it anything at all to do with you?

Why is it fair that the children of the rich get a massive unmeritocratic leg up in life?

It isn't. But then neither is it unfair. Why is it anything at all to do with you? What right do you have to dictate what others should do with their money?

As for ability to pay, it's a massive chunk of unearned income! Ability to pay doesn't come into it, because you're not taxing something anyone has earned.

Which pretty much shows how little you understand of how difficult the current IHT rules can make it for some people.

What a silly thing to say.

It seems to be the case though. Especially as you don't seem to be able to explain what right you have to take the money in the first instance.

That could be avoided with suitable reform.

It could also be avoided by abolishing IHT totally.

Soldato

The government tried it it was found quite comprehensively to be an uncollectable tax that no one wanted.

I've already explained this Rypt please come up with a solution as to how you know where people live?

What about student towns like york canterbury where the people that were there at the last registration might not be there the following year?

You are presuming like Thatcher that people stay in the one location and like paying tax ;) Or are you going to tax per month or per day? As apposed to taxation based on rateable value of buildings which have a good chance of being where they were last time.

The above coupled with 98% of the population against you = unworkable taxation system.

Back
Top Bottom