Thought USB 3 Was Fast?

Soldato
Just bought a Sharkoon SATA QuickPort XT USB3.0 Plus and am in the process of copying my 500GB steam folder from an internal 7200rpm Sata drive to a 7200 drive in the Sharkoon and i've had speeds as low as 1.2mbs with the highest being 42.5mbs :confused:

I can get speeds of 112mbs over my network to an eSata drive attached to an Acer Revo.

Does this sound right?

Soldato
Quick Google of the motherboard in your sig says it doesn't have any USB3 ports.

60MB (according to Wiki) is the max for USB2 but I'm not sure why you'd be struggling to hit that unless one of the hdds is OLD.

Soldato
run crystalmark and see what results you get with that, maybe its the filesizes you are moving, these are the results i got, and mines a cheap usb enclosure with a 5400 2.5" drive :
enclosure in usb 2.0 socket :
USB2.png

enclosure in 3.0 socket :
usb3.png

so there should be a noticable difference between usb 2 and 3.

Soldato
OP
Broken Hope - I honestly don't know what's going on. Those scores look fine and what i was expecting, but in actual use it's getting extremely slow. Just been copying My steam folder for the last couple of hours and all that's copied is just over 3GB :(

I bought this Sharkoon because I've never been able to fix the constant disconnecting I get from eSata (Google it's a common problem) Thought I would get a similar speed with USB3 but without the problems, but now I have a whole new set :(

Associate
am i missing something? 130 megabytes a second is faster than most mechanical drives and usb 3.0 is just for external storage and silly fridges and fans

Soldato
am i missing something? 130 megabytes a second is faster than most mechanical drives and usb 3.0 is just for external storage and silly fridges and fans

I don't think he's achieving 130MB/s whilst actually transferring though, which as Duke said could be due to the number of small files it has to deal with.

Are you using the internal hdd whilst you're transferring the files off it?

Soldato
i transfered at an average of 60mbs when doing 600mb files, maybe as suggested might be tiny files which it is struggling with. try doing a few tests with different size files and see how it performs.

Soldato
OP
Dukes right it is the small files it's really slow on, I just copied a 7GB mkv and was getting 112mbs to a 5400rpm storage drive i have. But when it gets to those small files it really is incredibly slow. Like i said i it took two hours to copy 3GB of my steam folder, eSata never took nearly this long.

Btw when i'm doing this copying im not using my rig for anything else at all.

Soldato
OP
Zipping up before copying would be just as slow maybe even slower and my hard drive isn't that fragged. It is puzzling why small files take longer to copy over using USB3 than eSata especialy when you consider USB3 shouldn't be slower than eSata.

I'm going to do a 1.5TB Drive backup overnight using EASEUS Partition Master Professional Edition and see how that goes.

Soldato
Yeah lots of small files are a pain to transfer. I think the best option for speed performance would be to zip/rar them before transferring.

Back
Top Bottom