Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
But that's the problem you see, I don't want to walk around carrying eye drops with me for the rest of my life :\

I'm a pocket free kinda guy, except for my phone.

Mostly just when I'm at work staring at a screen all day, I don't take them when I'm out and about or out for the evening. I can go days at a time without using the drops.

Soldato
Had mine down at Optical Express - cost me £2.5k and i'm paying that off for 4 years which equates to £66 a month which is great.

I had the Ultralase LASEK Wavefront (i think that's what it's called) and i was fine after just 1 week! No dry eyes, no pain and NO GLASSES!

It was great!

TMP

TMP

Associate
So I'm interested in getting this done, now that I have the financial means to do so. Few questions - they say your prescription should be static for at least 3 years before getting it done, but some places don't seem worried about it - is this just them wanting my monies? Also, when the operation is complete - do you pretty much require someone to help you out with getting home to rest, or could you realistically get a taxi / tube / whatever.

Soldato
So I'm interested in getting this done, now that I have the financial means to do so. Few questions - they say your prescription should be static for at least 3 years before getting it done, but some places don't seem worried about it - is this just them wanting my monies? Also, when the operation is complete - do you pretty much require someone to help you out with getting home to rest, or could you realistically get a taxi / tube / whatever.

From my researching, I would give you the following advice:
>Static perscription - Generally a decent surgery will advise on having a stable perscription for 2-3 years. However, some allow a small tolerence up to -0.25 change over these years. The danger would come if your perscription has changed multiple times or extensively.

>The operation - based on Focus (where I will be going in a couple hours!), 60-90 mins in total at Focus, but only about 6 mins of operation - the rest is prep, waiting etc. They put you in a dark rest room after for 20 mins, then you can go home. They've advised me to wear sunglasses as I'll be sensitive to light and to get home within an hour. You'll leave there with 20/20 vision and some discomfort - but the drops will numb this. I'd imagine that your eyes will be streaming and quite gritty. You won't be able to drive - advisable to bring somebody who can with you!

I'll be able to confirm my experience tomorrow most likely. Lots of info here TMP if you want to read/watch some videos.. http://www.focusclinics.com/

Soldato
Well I had it done a few hours ago....and I'm posting from my phone! Surgery was actually a doddle - no pain, mild discomfort from the drops and that's all. It's been pain free and okay so far, I can already read everything from a distance (from a -4.25 perscription). Very happy and all went to plan. Back tomorrow for a check up, I already feel liberated and it only gets better from here on in :D

Having to wear sunglassses everywhere and use the four types of drops every few hours for a week is well worth it I'm sure. Update tomorrow

Man of Honour
Stop using a computer - keep your eyes closed and go to bed silly billy! Seriously the longer you keep your eyes closed the quicker they'll heal... the last thing I wanted to do was use a computer or a phone! :p

Soldato
After seeing some of the videos on you tube - do they actually rinse your eye out / wipe it after replacing the corneal flap?

I always imagined it's all machine controlled and no surgeon actually had to get "hands-on"...?

Soldato
Left eye was -3.25 and -0.75 astigmatism and right eye was -3.00 and -0.75 astigmatism.

Same as mine except the other eyes round, Right eye is -3.25 and -0.75 astigmatism and left eye is -3.00 and -0.75 astigmatism!

Been trying to look into laser eye treatment but didnt get round to it.

What exactly is the wavefront part of the procedure?

Which is better Lasik or Lasek?

Which one heals better? (ie which is better for getting back to doing sports?)

Caporegime
After seeing some of the videos on you tube - do they actually rinse your eye out / wipe it after replacing the corneal flap?

I always imagined it's all machine controlled and no surgeon actually had to get "hands-on"...?

It depends, not to put people off but small things can go wrong, flaps replaced incorrectly, bubbles getting under the flaps, a piece of dust. Most of these should be spotted easily by a doc checking who can move the flap, clean it out and replace the flap correctly.

People who say price pays no part in what you get are flat out retarded. The best doctors in the best clinics with the most experience are what you want to pay for, yes, there might be no problem at all, there could be a problem though. At that stage a guy whose incredibly experienced and has done all kinds of eye sugery is the guy I want rather than a guy new to it thats never done anything more complicated than flick the on switch.

Remember also what you're paying for, several places will retreat you for FREE if theres unsatisfactory results, a problem, miss the target by too large a degree or have any other kind of fixable problem. Some places will want a further couple of grand to fix anything, which is where a more expensive/experienced provider becomes massively cheaper.

Moorfields, thats the place I couldn't remember the name of. Like a couple other places, if one of the cowboy operators has done bad laser eye surgery its Moorfields or the London eye clinic you often end up wanting to go to get it fixed.

TMP

TMP

Associate
Well I had it done a few hours ago....and I'm posting from my phone! Surgery was actually a doddle - no pain, mild discomfort from the drops and that's all. It's been pain free and okay so far, I can already read everything from a distance (from a -4.25 perscription). Very happy and all went to plan. Back tomorrow for a check up, I already feel liberated and it only gets better from here on in :D

Having to wear sunglassses everywhere and use the four types of drops every few hours for a week is well worth it I'm sure. Update tomorrow

Glad to hear it went well, thanks for the info also, planning on having a meeting with the focus guys next week, it actually works out cheaper /m than my current contact lens subscription.

Soldato
Which is better Lasik or Lasek?

Which one heals better? (ie which is better for getting back to doing sports?)

One isn't "better" than the other it's just different, although you won't know which you can choose from until you have a consultation. LASIK heals quicker but isn't recommended for people doing contact sports because of the flap possibly being dislodged.

Soldato
One isn't "better" than the other it's just different, although you won't know which you can choose from until you have a consultation. LASIK heals quicker but isn't recommended for people doing contact sports because of the flap possibly being dislodged.

So its more of a case of they will choose one for you that is better for your situation?

Whats the wavefront then mate?

Caporegime
So its more of a case of they will choose one for you that is better for your situation?

Whats the wavefront then mate?

No, its your surgery you're paying for, its up to you, they'll advise you whats "best" in your particular situation but they won't force you to choose one over the other. In reality the chance of the flap being dislodged is low after its healed, its marginally weakened vs a normal eye but its not like a tap to the side of the head will cause it to fly open. They can of course choose not to treat you if they think its not worthwhile/going to work/too risky, that will be less about the type of laser treatment you have and more to do with condition of your eyes, hugely high perscription, or various other things.

The flap re-opening isn't a particularly big deal anyway, likely a case of getting to an eye doc, having it repositioned, drops for a couple weeks again to fight any potential infections, flap resealed(thats a complete guess).

As for wavefront, the most basic surgery deals with your perscription and eye shape and thats it, wavefront does an extra detailed scan of all the minor imperfections in the eye and will try to correct for them giving a better final outcome. Wavefront is supposed to help with things like halo's, night vision, floaters, and generally improve the outcome.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, its your surgery you're paying for, its up to you, they'll advise you whats "best" in your particular situation but they won't force you to choose one over the other. In reality the chance of the flap being dislodged is low after its healed, its marginally weakened vs a normal eye but its not like a tap to the side of the head will cause it to fly open. They can of course choose not to treat you if they think its not worthwhile/going to work/too risky, that will be less about the type of laser treatment you have and more to do with condition of your eyes, hugely high perscription, or various other things.

The flap re-opening isn't a particularly big deal anyway, likely a case of getting to an eye doc, having it repositioned, drops for a couple weeks again to fight any potential infections, flap resealed(thats a complete guess).

As for wavefront, the most basic surgery deals with your perscription and eye shape and thats it, wavefront does an extra detailed scan of all the minor imperfections in the eye and will try to correct for them giving a better final outcome. Wavefront is supposed to help with things like halo's, night vision, floaters, and generally improve the outcome.

Thanks for that info mate, much appreciated :D

Back
Top Bottom